Beardie not eating

ariela0

Beardie name(s)
Aurora (Ro)
My bearded dragons isn't eating and hasn't been eating for a long time now. I try putting food in her mouth but she spits it out and refuses to eat. I'm trying to give her this repta boost powder that will encourage her to eat as it says on the packaging. She still walks around in her tank and occasionally digs. I'm just worried that she'll become malnourished and sick since she's not getting the calcium and nutrition she needs. She eats insects without a doubt but not her daily food. I took her to the vet a few months ago and they said she was healthy, no parasites. Should I take her again and get her checked?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragons isn't eating and hasn't been eating for a long time now. I try putting food in her mouth but she spits it out and refuses to eat. I'm trying to give her this repta boost powder that will encourage her to eat as it says on the packaging. She still walks around in her tank and occasionally digs. I'm just worried that she'll become malnourished and sick since she's not getting the calcium and nutrition she needs. She eats insects without a doubt but not her daily food. I took her to the vet a few months ago and they said she was healthy, no parasites. Should I take her again and get her checked?
How old is the dragon? Please go over your lighting in the tank- brand and bulbs please-- how is she getting water? Have you weighed her to see what her weight is?

ariela0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aurora (Ro)
How old is the dragon? Please go over your lighting in the tank- brand and bulbs please-- how is she getting water? Have you weighed her to see what her weight is?
She's 3 years old. She has a flunkers basking light for her basking spot and a reptisun t5 uvb tube light for her uvb source. She usually gets water from her greens but she hasn't been eating so. I have checked her weight and she weighed 400 grams, i have to weigh her again to see if she lost any weight since I feel like she did.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She's 3 years old. She has a flunkers basking light for her basking spot and a reptisun t5 uvb tube light for her uvb source. She usually gets water from her greens but she hasn't been eating so. I have checked her weight and she weighed 400 grams, i have to weigh her again to see if she lost any weight since I feel like she did.
Ok where is your uvb ? Top of screen or inside the tank? How old is the uvb

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Your UVB fixture looks fine to me, I doubt that is the issue. What are your temps? How are you taking them? The basking spot should be within the 95-110f range, no lower and no higher. The cool side should be 70-85f.

Stick-ons and temp guns are almost always inaccurate, preferably you could use a digital probe thermometer as they provide the most accurate readings. When I used a temp gun, it read 145f but it was 38 degrees off.

You said “she eats insects without a doubt but not her daily food”, by that do you mean she will accept live feeders but not her salad? She will not lose much weight if that is the case, greens have little to no fat or sugar.

Reptiboost should be working, how are you offering it?

I believe it is meant to be fed as a slurry, there are tutorials online as to how you prepare it. If you are concerned that she is not getting nutrients from salad add some multivitamin and calcium to the mix.

Good luck 😉

ariela0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aurora (Ro)
Your UVB fixture looks fine to me, I doubt that is the issue. What are your temps? How are you taking them? The basking spot should be within the 95-110f range, no lower and no higher. The cool side should be 70-85f.

Stick-ons and temp guns are almost always inaccurate, preferably you could use a digital probe thermometer as they provide the most accurate readings. When I used a temp gun, it read 145f but it was 38 degrees off.

You said “she eats insects without a doubt but not her daily food”, by that do you mean she will accept live feeders but not her salad? She will not lose much weight if that is the case, greens have little to no fat or sugar.

Reptiboost should be working, how are you offering it?

I believe it is meant to be fed as a slurry, there are tutorials online as to how you prepare it. If you are concerned that she is not getting nutrients from salad add some multivitamin and calcium to the mix.

Good luck 😉
Thanks for replying! The temps are around what u say it should be, but I do use a temp gun but so far it seems to be accurate. And yea I do give her the reptiboost as a thick mixture and syringe feed her. So far I've only gave it to her about 3 times. I think I will have to give it to her everyday.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thanks for replying! The temps are around what u say it should be, but I do use a temp gun but so far it seems to be accurate. And yea I do give her the reptiboost as a thick mixture and syringe feed her. So far I've only gave it to her about 3 times. I think I will have to give it to her everyday.
Okay, your temperatures are fine in that case. That just about rules out husbandry related causes. So she just isn’t eating her salads? Bearded dragons can go through picky stages in life, it isn’t of any concern whatsoever.

Try and entice her, add some colourful veggies (never fruit though, it causes tooth decay and fungal infections) to the mix of greens. Maybe try some food toppers, most pet stores sell dried flowers.

You could also try some plain bee pollen, it is also commonly used as an optional supplement for beardies and humans alike. Try spritzing it with water, some beardies like shiny or reflective foods.

I wouldn’t stress too much, just give it time and do some trial and error. Find out her likes and dislikes, nobody likes eating food they have a distaste for. My boy likes collard greens and bell peppers best.

ariela0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aurora (Ro)
Okay, your temperatures are fine in that case. That just about rules out husbandry related causes. So she just isn’t eating her salads? Bearded dragons can go through picky stages in life, it isn’t of any concern whatsoever.

Try and entice her, add some colourful veggies (never fruit though, it causes tooth decay and fungal infections) to the mix of greens. Maybe try some food toppers, most pet stores sell dried flowers.

You could also try some plain bee pollen, it is also commonly used as an optional supplement for beardies and humans alike. Try spritzing it with water, some beardies like shiny or reflective foods.

I wouldn’t stress too much, just give it time and do some trial and error. Find out her likes and dislikes, nobody likes eating food they have a distaste for. My boy likes collard greens and bell peppers best.
Ok thank you! She does seem to like carrots and I also spritz her greens with water and I sprinkle bee pollen on it too. But I guess she's just too picky. She really doesn't like the reptiboost also, like she shakes her head and rubs it on the floor when I give it to her. But it it'll help her I'll just ignore that and keep giving it to her.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Ok thank you! She does seem to like carrots and I also spritz her greens with water and I sprinkle bee pollen on it too. But I guess she's just too picky. She really doesn't like the reptiboost also, like she shakes her head and rubs it on the floor when I give it to her. But it it'll help her I'll just ignore that and keep giving it to her.
Reptiboost really isn’t necessary if she is still eating insects, she’ll have to adjust back to eating salads with a bit of help from you. It’s a last resort if your bearded dragon isn’t eating anything at all, and if it’s medical as opposed to husbandry related.

You can keep giving it to her if you’d like, but personally I wouldn’t give her very much. Keep offering salads every day, she’ll have to grow out of it soon. Always give her a good variety of greens and veggies to choose from.

Last edited:

ariela0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aurora (Ro)
Reptiboost really isn’t necessary if she is still eating insects, she’ll have to adjust back to eating salads with a bit of help from you. It’s a last resort if your bearded dragon isn’t eating anything at all, and if it’s medical as opposed to husbandry related.

You can keep giving it to her if you’d like, but personally I wouldn’t give her very much. Keep offering salads every day, she’ll have to grow out of it soon. Always give her a good variety of greens and veggies to choose from.
Ok i will thank you

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I personally would get her checked. You may can (although gross) grind up some bugs with some salad and syringe her that just to let her have a bit of that nutrients.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I personally would get her checked. You may can (although gross) grind up some bugs with some salad and syringe her that just to let her have a bit of that nutrients.
Ariela’s beardie has stopped eating salads, not insects altogether. I wouldn’t think it’s medical, parasites almost always get out of control from poor husbandry and their husbandry is correct.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom