Beardie not eating but very active

Stephnspaghetti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spaghetti
Hello! I have a 9 month old female beardie her name is spaghetti. For almost 1 week she shows no interest in food or her greens in which she takes daily. She’s constantly glass surfing and digging. Also no huge weight loss or any signs of discomfort. Her UVB is the Arcadia pro T5 12% and her basking temps sit between 105-110 while her cool side sit in the mid 80s to 90s. She stays on paper towels until we get her tile fitted into her enclosure. Not sure if it’s her ready to lay infertile eggs ( I think she’s just too young) or if it’s the season or maybe something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated I love her to death this is the first time I’d see her do this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I have a 9 month old female beardie her name is spaghetti. For almost 1 week she shows no interest in food or her greens in which she takes daily. She’s constantly glass surfing and digging. Also no huge weight loss or any signs of discomfort. Her UVB is the Arcadia pro T5 12% and her basking temps sit between 105-110 while her cool side sit in the mid 80s to 90s. She stays on paper towels until we get her tile fitted into her enclosure. Not sure if it’s her ready to lay infertile eggs ( I think she’s just too young) or if it’s the season or maybe something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated I love her to death this is the first time I’d see her do this.
She could be gravid--- please get a dig box in the tank for her -- mid 80's to 90's is too warm for the cool side it should be low 80's ish --- where is the UVB in the tank or top of screen ? please get the surface basking temps down to 95-100--- please adjust all w/ temps I can help w/ the placement and distance w/ the UVB its going to depend on the screen

Stephnspaghetti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spaghetti
She could be gravid--- please get a dig box in the tank for her -- mid 80's to 90's is too warm for the cool side it should be low 80's ish --- where is the UVB in the tank or top of screen ? please get the surface basking temps down to 95-100--- please adjust all w/ temps I can help w/ the placement and distance w/ the UVB its going to depend on the screen
Her uvb is on top of the screen but it’s about 8” above where she lays and basks! I’ll make sure her temps will be set lower! I plan on doing a dig box area tonight ! Will definitely keep a close eye on her but I’ve been planning to see a vet since I never seen this before with her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her uvb is on top of the screen but it’s about 8” above where she lays and basks! I’ll make sure her temps will be set lower! I plan on doing a dig box area tonight ! Will definitely keep a close eye on her but I’ve been planning to see a vet since I never seen this before with her
If your using a fine screen mesh its blocking 30% of the rays -- it should be unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece - if its a wide hole screen it can stay on top and the 8-10 inches is good -- if you take her to the vet NO enemas!! If they want a fecal bring one to them please-- as far as not eating get the temps adjusted and watch the behavior see what she does -- it may not effect her especially if shes gravid --

Stephnspaghetti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spaghetti
If your using a fine screen mesh its blocking 30% of the rays -- it should be unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece - if its a wide hole screen it can stay on top and the 8-10 inches is good -- if you take her to the vet NO enemas!! If they want a fecal bring one to them please-- as far as not eating get the temps adjusted and watch the behavior see what she does -- it may not effect her especially if shes gravid --
It’s a wide hole screen! I’m preparing a dig box for her and will be keeping my whole attention in her but I’ll definitely be seeking a vet also by Monday! Thank you so so much!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good luck on getting a laybox made up for her. I agree with Karrie, she isn't too young for laying infertile eggs. They can actually lay as young as 6 months of age!
The wide holed mesh should be fine, & large enough for the UVB to go through.
If you suspect her being gravid, I would recommend getting extra calcium in her right now, to help out.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Stephnspaghetti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spaghetti
Hello,

Good luck on getting a laybox made up for her. I agree with Karrie, she isn't too young for laying infertile eggs. They can actually lay as young as 6 months of age!
The wide holed mesh should be fine, & large enough for the UVB to go through.
If you suspect her being gravid, I would recommend getting extra calcium in her right now, to help out.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
So we went to the vet today and she is indeed gravid but she might re absorb since they’re not as big I have x rays attached as well! The vet and the assistant said her bones looks so good but one of her ribs lacks of calcium due to her forming the eggs! She’s on critical care and probiotics since she hasn’t eaten for the past week! and will be on syringe for a couple weeks until then! Other than that she is perfectly healthy !

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 29

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So we went to the vet today and she is indeed gravid but she might re absorb since they’re not as big I have x rays attached as well! The vet and the assistant said her bones looks so good but one of her ribs lacks of calcium due to her forming the eggs! She’s on critical care and probiotics since she hasn’t eaten for the past week! and will be on syringe for a couple weeks until then! Other than that she is perfectly healthy !
Ok good Tracie can give her input

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is quite a load of developing eggs! I hope that she is able to lay them without any trouble.
Are you giving extra calcium right now?
Definitely continue giving the critical care & probiotics for her to help out.

Tracie

Stephnspaghetti

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spaghetti
Hello,

That is quite a load of developing eggs! I hope that she is able to lay them without any trouble.
Are you giving extra calcium right now?
Definitely continue giving the critical care & probiotics for her to help out.

Tracie
She is getting the extra calcium! The vet said it’s very likely she’ll re absorb these eggs but who knows! Currently she’ll be fed once a day for 2 weeks of her critical care as well. And a hornworm once a week since she eats just that ! They say shes so restless since it’s her very first clutch and she doesn’t know what to do 😅 I’ll be sure to keep an eye to see if any changes and have the vet on hand if she drastically gets worse

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is getting extra calcium right now. Hopefully she will reabsorb those eggs, especially
if they aren't growing much then that is probably going to happen.
If she is restless, hopefully she will figure out what to do with your help! Keep an eye on her for any
huge behavioral changes.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom