Beardie laying eggs?

Zeus Crawford

Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Our beardie, Zeus, is a little over 2 hrs old, he has loved a fairly uneventful life, with the exception of surviving a significant impaction only weeks after buying him from a pet store as a hatchling. He has grown and thrived, other than refusing to eat vegetables. He has now gone through a period of about two weeks of not eating. This didn’t seem vet-worthy bc he has done this before and has remained normally active, alert, and attentive. However, about 5 days ago, my teenage son (his primary caregiver) noticed that he had what looked like large thickened urate and only slight runny poop. We adjust lights, attempted dusted worms, but still he refused to eat. All other living was normal. Last night, I noticed he passed what my son called the big urate, and it actually looked like an egg. My son said he had down that about five times already. We put him in a warm bath because he got adgitated, and out came two more subsequently. I thought these are definitely eggs. I’ve seen one more since. Now we believe he is a SHE. But I think she’s egg bound, and it’s a holiday, the onto vet office nearby that sees reptiles is closed.
She just looked as if she was going to pass another, but it was what looked diarrhea, followed by major struggle to pass more, but only some bloody mucus.

What do I do??? Please help!

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Our beardie, Zeus, is a little over 2 hrs old, he has loved a fairly uneventful life, with the exception of surviving a significant impaction only weeks after buying him from a pet store as a hatchling. He has grown and thrived, other than refusing to eat vegetables. He has now gone through a period of about two weeks of not eating. This didn’t seem vet-worthy bc he has done this before and has remained normally active, alert, and attentive. However, about 5 days ago, my teenage son (his primary caregiver) noticed that he had what looked like large thickened urate and only slight runny poop. We adjust lights, attempted dusted worms, but still he refused to eat. All other living was normal. Last night, I noticed he passed what my son called the big urate, and it actually looked like an egg. My son said he had down that about five times already. We put him in a warm bath because he got adgitated, and out came two more subsequently. I thought these are definitely eggs. I’ve seen one more since. Now we believe he is a SHE. But I think she’s egg bound, and it’s a holiday, the onto vet office nearby that sees reptiles is closed.
She just looked as if she was going to pass another, but it was what looked diarrhea, followed by major struggle to pass more, but only some bloody mucus.

What do I do??? Please help!
Sorry, that should say two years, not hours.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, if Zeus is laying eggs, SHE is definitely a SHE LOL!

I know you're worried, but this isn't really a serious issue at this point. Zeus does have eggs, and she is wanting to lay them. Get her a dig box and make the soil/sand/whatever you use the consistency of sandcastle making sand so it holds a shape when dug in. Make it deep enough for Zeus to dig and burrow in. This will give her a place she feels comfortable laying. A lot of times if they don't find a place they believe to be suitable, they will hold onto them and only pass a few at a time.

So give Zeus a proper spot to lay and hopefully she will pass them.

No need for a vet at this point.

-Brandon

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Well, if Zeus is laying eggs, SHE is definitely a SHE LOL!

I know you're worried, but this isn't really a serious issue at this point. Zeus does have eggs, and she is wanting to lay them. Get her a dig box and make the soil/sand/whatever you use the consistency of sandcastle making sand so it holds a shape when dug in. Make it deep enough for Zeus to dig and burrow in. This will give her a place she feels comfortable laying. A lot of times if they don't find a place they believe to be suitable, they will hold onto them and only pass a few at a time.

So give Zeus a proper spot to lay and hopefully she will pass them.

No need for a vet at this point.

-Brandon
Hi, thanks that makes me feel a little better. She has evidently passed about 10-12 over the last six days. She did pass one more since I made my original post. All eggs look white and intact, which I know is a good sign.
We did get a makeshift dog box for her, so well what that brings for us. She is currently resting peacefully.
Hope the box helps!

Attachments

• IMG_3894.jpeg
    IMG_3894.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 60

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that laybox looks fine. At least she is laying them right now & doesn't seem to be stressed out,
anxious or black bearding. Make sure she is comfortable & getting her rest. Are you giving some oral
fluids & extra calcium too for him in case her stores might be a little bit low?

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Welchy2000
Top Bottom