Beardie just threw up and doesn't look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number one it was very violent, he threw his head around violently and threw up some super worms and his greens from yesterday but what concerns he is a ball of blood or something came out with it. I don't know what's going on.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Dont panic, mine has thrown up too for some reason months ago when he was on meds. He is completely fine now
how big is your dragon? reason why I ask is because to give supers your beardie should 16+ inches long for them to digest them safely. also when during the day did you feed him last before he threw up? if it is too close to lights or or lights off this can cause them to throw up. How much did he have to eat? was it a normal amount for the beardie?
some of these questions can also help us further...
How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Im kind of wondering what caused the blood. ive heard that supers can bite the beardies, but only heard those as myths or extremely rare cases.

hopefully someone else will have some answers. but in the meantime answer those questions ive asked and maybe we can figure out whats going on.

DimebagDave

Original Poster
I only gave him about 4-5. which is less than usual.

He is about a year old, I've had him about 7 months. It's a male, about 16 inchs long. I have him in an 80 gallon tank. I use Repti-Turf along the bottom of his tank. I have the Repti-Sun 10.0 Compact Light that I just got yesterday or the day before. The closest he can get to it is about 4-5 inchs. I use the same bulb. Basking temp is currently 101, cool side is 84. I have a prob thermometer, and a gun, I just used the gun to check. I am taking the temps right where he sits on his log. I don't use a heat rock or pad anymore. Over the last 2 days I had given him a strawberry, 2 blueberry's, hand full of greens, and the 5 Super Worms. I usually feed 2 times a day, 3-4 times a week with live food. I usually give him fruits in the morning, live in the afternoon, and greens at night. Yes I gut load the crickets/worms with nutrients and dragon dust them usually every feeding. He has been going to the bathroom as normal, I give him a bath once sometimes twice a week. I give him a tiny dish with water which he drinks out of sometimes. He is all by himself, and yes I had a fecal test done.

I was also told that super worms can bite on the inside, and when he was young we took him to the vet because I gave him some meal worms and it looked like blood came out of his poop, so the vet said to not give him so many, and it never happened again up until this.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I would NOT use any compact as they have been linked to several health issues. The ReptiSun 10.0 Linear Bulb (tube) is the best tube on the market. Do turn that off, and return it, and get the Linear instead.

I would agree that perhaps the red was the strawberry, though to rule things out, a fecal is always a good idea.

Janie.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
As Janie said, compact and coil do more harm than good. Please turn it off asap. They can cause severe eye problems and are not reccomended. The cheapest place to buy the Reptisun 10.0 is at Petmountain.com, if you try and get it in a petstore it will cost around $50 they are way overpriced. And you can get the fixture at homedepot for $9. I would stop giving supers for a while. Make sure he stays hydrated, give him warm baths daily for 20 minutes. Fill the water up to his arm pits. When was the lsat time is went to the bathroom? Here is a great list of foods for beardies. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Jessica

DimebagDave

Original Poster
Thanks so much. I have a vets appointment Friday morning. I also ordered the CORRECT light (thank you again guys)

The red ball that came out was blood I poked it with a pin and it popped and started leaking, very gross. He does seem a lot better, he is moving around more. To be honest, I didn't feel good yesterday, almost like I felt like he felt, today I'm doing better, which seems he is too. Thank you again everyone, I will keep you updated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Gosh that was a horrible ordeal. How did the vet visit go?
That is great you ordered the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb to replace the compact/coil light. They just have not improved those things & they are not very good lights, but especially at 4-5 inches it can do alot of harm.
The new Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb should be 6-8 inches from your dragon. Make sure that the bright white light that you use for your basking light is placed directly beside the UVB light.
Keep us posted on your boy! I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie

DimebagDave

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much for all your help, he is doing GREAT now. I haven't gone to the vet, we are going around 10-11 AM when he wakes up. We are having him checked for parasites and all that other good stuff, also going to get new x-rays on his leg to make sure it's all healed up still. Last visit to the vet was about 4 months ago, so it should be good still. I'll post later on after the vet, thanks again!

DimebagDave

Original Poster
Went to the vet today and had his check up. He is in great health as far as appearance, x-rays and what not. They are doing a Fecal test, and all the other test, I should have the information within the week, if not tomorrow. His leg is all healed up still and in good shape, and him throwing up a few days ago was due to him eating to fast and not fully chewing the super worms. The vet recommended I use Wax Worms instead, and said they are healthier.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that the vet visit went well then.
The vet said that wax worms were healthier than the superworms? No that is not right though, the waxies are much higher in fat than the superworms & should only be used as treats not as a daily staple.
The superworms he must have eaten too quickly, or too many at one time which could have upset his tummy.
Great his leg is all healed up now~! I am happy to hear that he is doing well now.
Let us know if you need anything.

Tracie

DimebagDave

Original Poster
Thank you, I said the same thing to him about the wax worms being fattier. I will just keep him on his Cricket, Greens Fruits, and some Meal Worms diet. I just picked up Super Worms this week because I thought he might enjoy it since it's been so long, but nooo way am I feeding him them until he is a bit bigger. The vet called me today around 12, said the fecal test came back good, my dragon is healthy and okay! And I thank you guys for that!!!! Thanks for all your responses and help. As soon as I get his new light and hook it up, I will take a pic of his Habitat for you guys. Again, thanks!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news the fecal came back fine with no problems. :blob8:
Yes, that is true, the waxies do have some fat in them which can help plump up your dragon a little bit if needed.
Perhaps you could wait until he is a little bigger & older to digest them better. We normally recommend at least 16 inches in length before feeding them. You can start feeding them when they are under 1 year, but start slowly & limit them to 4-6 per feeding, depending on how they handle them.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom