Beardie constantly trying to dig and hiding under carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
So my beardie Emmett has been acting weird since yesterday afternoon. I wanna say around 6-7pm he started constantly digging under his reptile carpet and has been hiding under there trying to dig through the glass ever since. I've checked his temps and everything and they're all good with his hot side being 90, cool side around 75-80 and his basking spot around 100. I even tried turning his lights off for around 15-20 minutes to see if maybe it was too hot and my probes were just off but he just continued hiding and trying to dig under his carpet. I was thinking maybe he was going into brumation but Im not 100% sure about that since I've read they generally slow down a lot and refuse food but he seemed as energetic as ever yesterday and ate a bit of his salad on his own. He has been eating a bit less of his super worms than usual for about a week and a half now but I figure that could've just been because he's on meds for some parasites he has. I've also read they wil generally hide on their cool side and he has a hide there but instead he's hiding under the carpet on his warm side. As I'm writing this though he came out from under his carpet but hes just kind of laying in his warm side. Just kind of struggling to figure out if this is brumation or something else and could use some advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my beardie Emmett has been acting weird since yesterday afternoon. I wanna say around 6-7pm he started constantly digging under his reptile carpet and has been hiding under there trying to dig through the glass ever since. I've checked his temps and everything and they're all good with his hot side being 90, cool side around 75-80 and his basking spot around 100. I even tried turning his lights off for around 15-20 minutes to see if maybe it was too hot and my probes were just off but he just continued hiding and trying to dig under his carpet. I was thinking maybe he was going into brumation but Im not 100% sure about that since I've read they generally slow down a lot and refuse food but he seemed as energetic as ever yesterday and ate a bit of his salad on his own. He has been eating a bit less of his super worms than usual for about a week and a half now but I figure that could've just been because he's on meds for some parasites he has. I've also read they wil generally hide on their cool side and he has a hide there but instead he's hiding under the carpet on his warm side. As I'm writing this though he came out from under his carpet but hes just kind of laying in his warm side. Just kind of struggling to figure out if this is brumation or something else and could use some advice.
Lets rule out the lighting - basking temp is good at 100 cool side is good and 90's are good for hot side -- how are you getting these temps? Probe thermometer or a stick on? Your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? the super worms are not a good staple insect -- good for treats - are you feeding salads? The meds will effect his appetite -- is he done w/ the meds ?

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
Lets rule out the lighting - basking temp is good at 100 cool side is good and 90's are good for hot side -- how are you getting these temps? Probe thermometer or a stick on? Your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? the super worms are not a good staple insect -- good for treats - are you feeding salads? The meds will effect his appetite -- is he done w/ the meds ?
I use the probes and a small ir mainly just for his basking spot, but I still check the basking every now and then with a probe. I have a tube t5 and he does get salad. I want to switch to dubias or something better but I can only get them through the mail so I've been waiting for it to warm up to get those. What do you recommend for staple insect? And he's almost done with meds, only 3 days left including today. I called the vet I usually take him to and the person who answered has their own beardie going through the same thing so they think it's likely brumation since he seems fine otherwise.

And now he's just chilling up in his basking spot

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I use the probes and a small ir mainly just for his basking spot, but I still check the basking every now and then with a probe. I have a tube t5 and he does get salad. I want to switch to dubias or something better but I can only get them through the mail so I've been waiting for it to warm up to get those. What do you recommend for staple insect? And he's almost done with meds, only 3 days left including today. I called the vet I usually take him to and the person who answered has their own beardie going through the same thing so they think it's likely brumation since he seems fine otherwise.

And now he's just chilling up in his basking spot
Where is your T 5? Top of screen or inside the tank? If your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- the meds can affect the appetite so that could be a reason for lack of appetite but improper placement of the UVB can cause that as well -- I dont think this is brumation - brumation will be sleeping all the time and not coming out to eat or bask - semi brumation will be sleeping for short periods of time w/ occasional coming out and basking - maybe eat a little bit - your dragon may not be feeling well cuz of the meds hes on -- please keep him hydrated the meds will dry him out this too can cause lack of eating --
Here is a website for roaches -- I just ordered some from here -- I do recommend them as a staple feeder
www.dubiaroaches.com --

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
Where is your T 5? Top of screen or inside the tank? If your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- the meds can affect the appetite so that could be a reason for lack of appetite but improper placement of the UVB can cause that as well -- I dont think this is brumation - brumation will be sleeping all the time and not coming out to eat or bask - semi brumation will be sleeping for short periods of time w/ occasional coming out and basking - maybe eat a little bit - your dragon may not be feeling well cuz of the meds hes on -- please keep him hydrated the meds will dry him out this too can cause lack of eating --
Here is a website for roaches -- I just ordered some from here -- I do recommend them as a staple feeder
www.dubiaroaches.com --
I have it on top but theres an open space for the t5 to go through and it is roughly 12-15 inches away. And he always has access to fresh water, I leave a water bowl out for him during the day that he'll drink from occasionally. And alright I'll go with that site then. I'm just waiting for a good time to order them since where I'm at we keep having days where the temps drop too low and I don't want them to risk them dying on their way here. And sorry I should've said the vet was suspecting semi brumation not full brumation. If it is semi brumation how should I go about feeding? I've seen that having food in them during the brumation can be pretty dangerous but I also want to give him food if he wants it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have it on top but theres an open space for the t5 to go through and it is roughly 12-15 inches away. And he always has access to fresh water, I leave a water bowl out for him during the day that he'll drink from occasionally. And alright I'll go with that site then. I'm just waiting for a good time to order them since where I'm at we keep having days where the temps drop too low and I don't want them to risk them dying on their way here. And sorry I should've said the vet was suspecting semi brumation not full brumation. If it is semi brumation how should I go about feeding? I've seen that having food in them during the brumation can be pretty dangerous but I also want to give him food if he wants it.
Feed him like you normally do -- he will go and bask -- the roaches will be fine - I live in MN and have never had a issue w / them dying - I call the post office and have them hold the roaches or worms and go and pick them up --- the post office usually calls me and lets me know they are there - mine do the semi brumation thing and have never had a issue w/ them eating and not basking for a few days - they sometimes eat and sometimes not eat -- its best to offer the food --

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
Feed him like you normally do -- he will go and bask -- the roaches will be fine - I live in MN and have never had a issue w / them dying - I call the post office and have them hold the roaches or worms and go and pick them up --- the post office usually calls me and lets me know they are there - mine do the semi brumation thing and have never had a issue w/ them eating and not basking for a few days - they sometimes eat and sometimes not eat -- its best to offer the food --
Alright I'll keep business as usual for the most part then and at least offer him his worms. And that's a good idea, never thought about having them hold it there lol. I'll look into getting the roaches then. How many roaches do you think I should do if I normally give 10 superworms each tuesday and friday?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Alright I'll keep business as usual for the most part then and at least offer him his worms. And that's a good idea, never thought about having them hold it there lol. I'll look into getting the roaches then. How many roaches do you think I should do if I normally give 10 superworms each tuesday and friday?
I would cut back on the supers I recommend 3 at most every few days - those are treat worms - I just ordered 200 large roaches -do you have a 10 gallon aquarium to keep them in? I have two dragons and feed them about 4 every 2-3 days -- some times they eat all 4 sometimes not but I am also feeding salads super worms and horn worms -- the horn worms I feed 2 at a time -- my two dont eat a whole lot -- they can go a few days w / out touching their salads -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom