Beardie a lot less active٫ Dying or just full?

My bearded dragon hasn't been eating a lot but has been pooping٫ meaning that he has eaten. When on a trip I told my friends to take care of my Beardie. for a period of 40 hours my beardie was alone with only my lazy toads as entertainment٫ so my first friend must have gave him 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒕 of worms because when my second friend came٫she said he was a lot less responsive and lazy. My bearded dragon is also pretty old. is he dying? lazy? or something else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon hasn't been eating a lot but has been pooping٫ meaning that he has eaten. When on a trip I told my friends to take care of my Beardie. for a period of 40 hours my beardie was alone with only my lazy toads as entertainment٫ so my first friend must have gave him 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒕 of worms because when my second friend came٫she said he was a lot less responsive and lazy. My bearded dragon is also pretty old. is he dying? lazy? or something else?
It is hard to tell --- can you post a pic of him and his tank and lighting -- we need to start to rule things out first

DragonKeeper4787

Original Poster
9962D7F0-07C0-40D5-AF9B-E39A129B0CC1.jpeg
0BF8FD35-9D0B-4B23-8FE8-BC285F1167D6.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
First thing we need to go over is his lighting - uvb coil or tube? How old is the uvb bulb? Where is the uvb bulb? Surface basking temps--how are you getting them? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- no stick ons especially on hammocks - he doesn't look good- how are you keeping him hydrated? Please get him off the sand - you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank and found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50- it's more sanitary than the sand-

DragonKeeper4787

Original Poster
First thing we need to go over is his lighting - uvb coil or tube? How old is the uvb bulb? Where is the uvb bulb? Surface basking temps--how are you getting them? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- no stick ons especially on hammocks - he doesn't look good- how are you keeping him hydrated? Please get him off the sand - you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank and found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50- it's more sanitary than the sand-
I have a uvb bulb with basking temps around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit. When I give my beardie a cup of water he never drinks it٫ usually getting water from blueberries. Any other ways to try and get him to drink? maybe adding water in his food dish?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a uvb bulb with basking temps around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit. When I give my beardie a cup of water he never drinks it٫ usually getting water from blueberries. Any other ways to try and get him to drink? maybe adding water in his food dish?
The UVB is extremely important what are you using? If its a coil its NO good --- it needs to be replaced w/ a long tube like this
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you need this one
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or this fixture
Pet Smart has started carrying these you want a 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
If any of your lighting is off temps and UVB your dragon will not eat and he would be developing MBD from lack of UVB -- if you are using a long tube for a UVB what brand and bulb and where is it in the tank? Surface basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer found at Pet Smart or Petco -- 75-85 is too cold and will not start the digestion process ----
Please get these fixed as soon as possible --- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps as to what I posted -- examples of those bulbs would be Exo Terra Intense ---- Zoo Med Repti basking-- Flukers -- or Arcadia Halogen ---- please drop water on his nose or spray him w/ a water bottle- or place him in a bath do not let him drink a lot of water at a time as he can aspirate --- he needs to drink slowly from a bath

Last edited:

Hatchi

Beardie name(s)
Alfred AKA The UlanBaby
It could be the worms have made him lazy because he did not digest them well. This does not sound like your little guy is dying. However, if it gets worse contact a vet.

DragonKeeper4787

Original Poster
Just got off the airplane. once I get home from JFK I will fulfill the necessary requirements for my beardie. Thanks for giving me tips for drinking Karrie٫ and I also think he's being a bit lazy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just got off the airplane. once I get home from JFK I will fulfill the necessary requirements for my beardie. Thanks for giving me tips for drinking Karrie٫ and I also think he's being a bit lazy.
Please post when you get the uvb I will help you get it placed properly for your tank- distance and placement will be determined by your screen

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom