Bearded dragon exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys figured I'd just ask my male beardie will pick 1-2 bites of his salad but 99% of the time its insects crickets worms roaches if I have them he is currently as of right now hes 753G hes always been a big boy but my fear is obesity and he will have medical issues I will say that my enclosure is huge so I been hand feeding him crickets and worms I was thinking to pull everything from his enclosure give him insects but let him chase them as a form of exercise though hes always been that "let me stand here and wait for them" type of eater he does have exercise when I give him baths every other day but thats it maybe I give him some healthier insects or reduce the portion but thats just my train of thought

Any help is appreciated I welcome any opinions

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes I would cut down on the insects more exercise and more salads -- he is really big for 753 grams --

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":g74tt2x6 said:
Yes I would cut down on the insects more exercise and more salads -- he is really big for 753 grams --
ya odd thing was the vet didnt seem concerned his last visit (700g) for instance he went this past winter without eating lost over 30g in weight then 2 weeks after the vet visit he came out of his brumation and his appetite sky rocketed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My vet would be having a fit --- she wanted Hiccup to lose 43 grams he was 443 last visit -- and now Blaze is over 500 shes really gonna have a fit when she sees him -- I have cut back on his super worms and feeding dubias 2 times per week - hes getting mostly salads - Hiccup seems to be doing good havent weighed him as of lately tho

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3nvq33dg said:
My vet would be having a fit --- she wanted Hiccup to lose 43 grams he was 443 last visit -- and now Blaze is over 500 shes really gonna have a fit when she sees him -- I have cut back on his super worms and feeding dubias 2 times per week - hes getting mostly salads - Hiccup seems to be doing good havent weighed him as of lately tho

My vet likes the "if you only give him salads he will eat it if hes hungry enough" method I broke after 2 and a half weeks and gave him crickets which is fairly cheap and readily available to me not thinking they are heavy in fat but no more crickets for my guy and his portions and feeding will need to change

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
TheBeard9789":202q1l6j said:
My vet likes the "if you only give him salads he will eat it if hes hungry enough" method I broke after 2 and a half weeks and gave him crickets which is fairly cheap and readily available to me not thinking they are heavy in fat but no more crickets for my guy and his portions and feeding will need to change
That is my prescription for stubborn dragons too. I'd try it again and stick to it.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1uqoc4g1 said:
TheBeard9789":1uqoc4g1 said:
That is my prescription for stubborn dragons too. I'd try it again and stick to it.-Brandon
Sadly I hate seeing my animals go without sustenance got that little voice in my head telling me they will starve to death when in reality they will be just fine

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
TheBeard9789":1e33p7m9 said:
they will starve to death
No normal healthy animal will let itself starve to death. He knows he has food available, he will eat it before he gets to that point, trust me.

If a few weeks of him being stubborn and not wanting to eat (note it's his choice, not yours) adds years to his life due to a change in health for the better, than I see that as a necessary "hardship" that he can endure until he decides he's actually hungry enough to eat the disgusting horrible salad.. :mrgreen:

But I totally get where you're coming from. I was there at one point too but I've seen it work for my dragons in the past and it's advice I've given to dozens upon dozens here and seen it work.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1b107ndf said:
TheBeard9789":1b107ndf said:
they will starve to death
No normal healthy animal will let itself starve to death. He knows he has food available, he will eat it before he gets to that point, trust me.

If a few weeks of him being stubborn and not wanting to eat (note it's his choice, not yours) adds years to his life due to a change in health for the better, than I see that as a necessary "hardship" that he can endure until he decides he's actually hungry enough to eat the disgusting horrible salad.. :mrgreen:

But I totally get where you're coming from. I was there at one point too but I've seen it work for my dragons in the past and it's advice I've given to dozens upon dozens here and seen it work.

-Brandon
Well with him being 750g+ thats a wake up call for me AND him hes just a stubborn dragon stuck in his ways like his owner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom