bearded dragon 2 years old,just bought handling issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

divulsionbob

Hatchling Member
ok heres the deal . i got a bearded dragon from some people. they have had him for 2 years.not sure how much they held him or tried to. he is in a 40 gallon reptile tank,with sliding lid. his hot side is around 95to 100. his cool side around 80-85 in the day. he has a water dish which iam not sure if he drinks from it yet.
i got him home today,iam not sure how many crickets they feed him still,or what kind of greens and veggies they had him on. they were not to helpful in that department. so i thought id take him and give him the proper diet and home he needs.

i have a question. i tried to pick him up after petting him for about 10 minutes. he then wiggled out of my hands.so i tried a 2nd time this time putting my hand under his belly.as soon as i lifted he tried to bite me,mouth open and ran away.his beard then turned black. heres the deal. i dont want to give up on him,i want to try and tame him. i know it will take a while,but any suggestions would be great.
its not his fault that he wasnt handled, so iam up for the challenge. but what should i try.i dont want him to take a chunk out of my hand or finger. i see lots have 3,4,5 months old that are aggressive,but i donmt see a thread on 2 years or older doing this. thanks,bobby
l_819132039bd94556af50c6028532088f.jpg

l_829d99f54a6e415abe39666e7478e11e.jpg

LJean

Extreme Poster
Try taking it slowly. He needs some time to get used to you and his new surroundings.

You could try sitting in a small room (such as the bathroom) with him. Just let him run around with you sitting on the floor. Aslo bed time is the best time for bonding. Wrap him up in a beardie blanket and see if he will lay on your lap or chest.

Good luck with him!

divulsionbob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok,but first i have to get him out of the tank. everytime i pull lid back. then slowly go toward him. he jumps a little bit then. when i rub his back or head he tries and opens his mouth and wants to bit me. i mean iv been bit by one before its not fun. i dont want him to grab onto my hand. so i let him be. i want him to know that iam not here to harm him. ill try getting him out today, i was going to use gloves,but i want him to know my hands are warm and peaceful hahaha.
i aprroach him slow and give a rub for a couple minutes. then i try to grab underneath.but he just isnt having it.

LJean

Extreme Poster
That's the one reason why I hate using a tank for my beardie. You have to come in from the top.

Maybe you could just give him more time. Only putting your hand in for feeding. Just thinking that maybe he would then associate your hand in the tank means food for him. But in a good way, not a "biting the hand that feeds him" way. :wink:

It's not something I had to worry about, so I may not be any help.

divulsionbob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes i hate that about these reptile tanks to. also you take a chance of the lights falling in when you move the lid. so iam careful when i do open it, but i come in on the side he is not and move towards him instead of coming down on him. if hes on the left side ill come in on the right and move twards him. but yeah he is very fisty and dosnt want to be picked up at all. he will turn his head trying to bit my hand until i just let him go.
what about gloves.would that be a good thing or not for him. i just dont think he would get used to my bare hands then is why i dont want to put on a glove.but man he has alot of energy and will fight me.so maybe some time will tell. he seems content and calm,until i open the lid and try moving him,he freaks out and black beards just about everytime.

LJean

Extreme Poster
My adult dragon hates to be picked up, but he doesn't blackbeard or try to bite. Just puffs up some. Not sure what else you can try. Wouldn't hurt to use gloves if you are afraid to get bit. Sometimes you just have to pick them up whether they like it or not. ;)

I just noticed the pics in the post. He is a handsome devil. :)

I was just thinking, has he actually tried to bite, or just opened his mouth and bearded? (like did he lunge?) He may just be fooling you. ;)

What are the temps in the tank? Basking spot and cool side? Sometimes the wrong temps or lighting make them a bit cranky.

Just trying throwing out suggestions.

divulsionbob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for spending the time with me and my new guy first off. maybe ill just have to take a few slams before he knows iam not the bad guy and i wont eat him. but he is strong and will do anything to get away lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom