Beard discoloration and scale problems

AllyBirdie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Covid
My bearded dragon has had this unnatural scale pattern and discoloration of her beard for about a year now. I’ve taken her to the vet and they said it could be 3 things: blunt trauma where cause of an impact the scales just have a hard time growing and shedding correctly; an infection: she hasn’t had any signs since of discomfort ever since this showed up; or beardie cancer which I have never seen.
I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen or had this with their beardie and what I should do to help the proper growth start?
The vet said it mostly likely is from trauma and that it may take a couple years to heal.

Any information that could help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 2AC00C3A-CB97-4AD3-B5BC-6E74C9F3B715.jpeg
    2AC00C3A-CB97-4AD3-B5BC-6E74C9F3B715.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 816E83AD-0B25-4437-A419-3AFD304970A1.jpeg
    816E83AD-0B25-4437-A419-3AFD304970A1.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 65B6DD78-6D44-4243-A1A7-20F270209945.jpeg
    65B6DD78-6D44-4243-A1A7-20F270209945.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon has had this unnatural scale pattern and discoloration of her beard for about a year now. I’ve taken her to the vet and they said it could be 3 things: blunt trauma where cause of an impact the scales just have a hard time growing and shedding correctly; an infection: she hasn’t had any signs since of discomfort ever since this showed up; or beardie cancer which I have never seen.
I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen or had this with their beardie and what I should do to help the proper growth start?
The vet said it mostly likely is from trauma and that it may take a couple years to heal.

Any information that could help is appreciated!
We need Tracie or AHBD to address this issue--- what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture? What is the humidity in your tank - analogs are always not accurate - it should be a digital probe hygrometer 40-50% optimal -- nothing less than 20% and nothing over 70% - hygrometer should be placed on the back center wall of your tank--
@Drache613
@AHBD

Last edited:

AllyBirdie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Covid
We need Tracie or AHBD to address this issue--- what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture? What is the humidity in your tank - analogs are always not accurate - it should be a digital probe hygrometer 40-50% optimal -- nothing less than 20% and nothing over 70% - hygrometer should be placed on the back center wall of your tank
I have a long tube fixture and also the power sun bulb for more heat and uvb, his humidity throughout the day is usually at 20% but everyday I mist the enclosure down to bring that up to 30%-45%

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a long tube fixture and also the power sun bulb for more heat and uvb, his humidity throughout the day is usually at 20% but everyday I mist the enclosure down to bring that up to 30%-45%
The UVB is a T 5 or a T 8? where in the tank is it? and how old is the bulb? Humidity helps w/ shed - as well as the UVB

AllyBirdie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Covid
The UVB is a T 5 or a T 8? where in the tank is it? and how old is the bulb? Humidity helps w/ shed - as well as the UVB
It’s a T5 I have the long bulb at the left side of his tank where he likes to hang out the most and the power sun bulb at 100w in his basking spot. The bulbs are a couple months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a T5 I have the long bulb at the left side of his tank where he likes to hang out the most and the power sun bulb at 100w in his basking spot. The bulbs are a couple months old.
Ok so the T 5 is in the tank? top of screen? Your screen is going to determine where that UVB needs to be -- fine mesh or a wide hole type

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom