ballast replacement

DonnaG

I think the ballast in the uvb light fixture for Pac-man's cage has gone bad. Yesterday, My son came to me and said the light had burned out. I had a new one ready to go. So, he took the old light out and replaced it with the new light. It didn't come on; so, I had him try plugging it in a different outlet. It still didn't come on. Out town has two pet shops and neither one of them had a 36 inch fixture. The girl at the second shop said that it could be the ballast. Sometimes they go bad. She said she could order a new system for me; but, it wouldn't get here until Thursday. I asked her how much it would cost and she said she didn't know, somewhere around $65-125. I ended up ordering from Amazon. It's not the same brand; but, it comes with the same bulb. The fixture design is not as low profile as the one that I have right now. But, if the ballast can be replaced, I would like to try to do that.

Has anybody done this? Are there step by step instructions written up somewhere?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think the ballast in the uvb light fixture for Pac-man's cage has gone bad. Yesterday, My son came to me and said the light had burned out. I had a new one ready to go. So, he took the old light out and replaced it with the new light. It didn't come on; so, I had him try plugging it in a different outlet. It still didn't come on. Out town has two pet shops and neither one of them had a 36 inch fixture. The girl at the second shop said that it could be the ballast. Sometimes they go bad. She said she could order a new system for me; but, it wouldn't get here until Thursday. I asked her how much it would cost and she said she didn't know, somewhere around $65-125. I ended up ordering from Amazon. It's not the same brand; but, it comes with the same bulb. The fixture design is not as low profile as the one that I have right now. But, if the ballast can be replaced, I would like to try to do that.

Has anybody done this? Are there step by step instructions written up somewhere?
What did you replace w?

DonnaG

Original Poster
What did you replace w?
I tried using the uvb light that came with the 10 gallon starter kit that we got when we first got Pac--man. But, he went into hiding almost right away. I ordered from Amazon, Repti Zoo T5 HO UVB Lighting Combo Kit, Terrarium Hood with 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp (39W), https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HCXZXTK/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image

It has an estimated delivery day of Friday. The Zoo Med ReptiSun light that I have should work in the fixture; but, if there is a way to fix the ZooMed fixture I would like to do that and have it as backup. If replacing the ballast will fix it, I would like to do that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I tried using the uvb light that came with the 10 gallon starter kit that we got when we first got Pac--man. But, he went into hiding almost right away. I ordered from Amazon, Repti Zoo T5 HO UVB Lighting Combo Kit, Terrarium Hood with 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp (39W), https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HCXZXTK/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image

It has an estimated delivery day of Friday. The Zoo Med ReptiSun light that I have should work in the fixture; but, if there is a way to fix the ZooMed fixture I would like to do that and have it as backup. If replacing the ballast will fix it, I would like to do that.

I have no idea about fixing the ballast -- but the Reptisun bulb is the better bulb so its good your replacing the bulb coming w/ the Repti Zoo fixture

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom