Baby sudden death

Status
Not open for further replies.

abgolden

Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hello folks. Curious if anyone has an idea of what may have happened to my baby beardie. Purchased from a quality local reptile store and the beardies come from local breeders. I got the baby 3 weeks ago, standard setup (no ingestible substrate, basking area, UVB, 30 gal tank for now, hides, etc). Coco was active, occasionally ate her crickets, but never once touched veggies or fruit. Everything seemed to be just fine, except the hurricane last week disrupted the shop's cricket supply. Short on crickets and wouldn't eat any form of worms (so limited crickets for a few days). She wasn't very active yesterday and stayed out of the basking spot from my occasional observation. Nothing seemed super weird...I'm in Florida, it's hot and she's near a window (but I have no experience with babies, only adult beardies). Wake up this morning and she's dead.

Any ideas?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There probably isn't any way to know for sure, but most likely she had health issues when you got her, maybe some genitic defect. Either way you have my condolences.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello folks. Curious if anyone has an idea of what may have happened to my baby beardie. Purchased from a quality local reptile store and the beardies come from local breeders. I got the baby 3 weeks ago, standard setup (no ingestible substrate, basking area, UVB, 30 gal tank for now, hides, etc). Coco was active, occasionally ate her crickets, but never once touched veggies or fruit. Everything seemed to be just fine, except the hurricane last week disrupted the shop's cricket supply. Short on crickets and wouldn't eat any form of worms (so limited crickets for a few days). She wasn't very active yesterday and stayed out of the basking spot from my occasional observation. Nothing seemed super weird...I'm in Florida, it's hot and she's near a window (but I have no experience with babies, only adult beardies). Wake up this morning and she's dead.

Any ideas?
That is awful -- I am so sorry--- it is hard to say what happened only that she was possibly sick when you got her- can you go over your set up you had for her -- brand and bulb of the UVB coil or long tube fixture - how were you getting surface basking temps? Analogs are inaccurate

abgolden

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
That is awful -- I am so sorry--- it is hard to say what happened only that she was possibly sick when you got her- can you go over your set up you had for her -- brand and bulb of the UVB coil or long tube fixture - how were you getting surface basking temps? Analogs are inaccurate
ZooMed Reptisun UVB. I primarily rely on a gun to take temps. I've used a digital in the past on my adult's tank to verify the gun's reading. As I said, pretty standard stuff. Nothing cheap or odd.

I'm assuming it was just bad luck, a risk you take with buying out of a store regardless of what they tell you (I don't do anything half assed, cheap, or without thorough research, so I don't think it was a notable error on my part). But I would have expected a gradual decline if it was unhealthy to start, not just a 24 hour active to dead.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ZooMed Reptisun UVB. I primarily rely on a gun to take temps. I've used a digital in the past on my adult's tank to verify the gun's reading. As I said, pretty standard stuff. Nothing cheap or odd.

I'm assuming it was just bad luck, a risk you take with buying out of a store regardless of what they tell you (I don't do anything half assed, cheap, or without thorough research, so I don't think it was a notable error on my part). But I would have expected a gradual decline if it was unhealthy to start, not just a 24 hour active to dead.
the UVB is a long tube fixture or a coil -- and yes it was very sudden and it was most likely the dragon had health issues from the start

abgolden

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
the UVB is a long tube fixture or a coil -- and yes it was very sudden and it was most likely the dragon had health issues from the start
No, UVB use to only be a long tube fixture or a coil. The Reptisun desert UVB is a bulb that extends out like 2 fingers. Same principle as a coil, but different shape and name.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No, UVB use to only be a long tube fixture or a coil. The Reptisun desert UVB is a bulb that extends out like 2 fingers. Same principle as a coil, but different shape and name.
ok those are not any good -- I think they are in a short fixture like a long fixture but short? Am I correct? I have seen the short fixtures in others tanks and have recommended they get rid of them - you want one of 3 that are recommended on this board -- going forward if you decide to get another baby I would recommend changing out that UVB that you have

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In 3 weeks you could have had no UVB at all and it still wouldn't have been the cause of your young ones passing.

You likely will never know, but if it was a sudden death the only real options are that she ate something poisonous or toxic to her.

You mentioned she's by a window. If the window lets direct sunlight into the enclosure, it's possible she cooked. Glass enclosures shouldn't be near a window that allows direct sunlight in for that reason.

Sorry for your loss.

-Brandon

Deneen

Any ideas?
We purchased from our local pet store and within 10 tens the first one died and then the second one just died today. My daughter is devastated. She has done everything that the associates are telling her and still sudden death.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We purchased from our local pet store and within 10 tens the first one died and then the second one just died today. My daughter is devastated. She has done everything that the associates are telling her and still sudden death.
I am so sorry to hear about the dragon --- I dont know exactly what happened but the tank husbandry needs to be on par for dragons to live --
The associates??? Meaning reptile store people? If so they can give bad advice-- first was the tank disinfected before the new dragon went in? Next please go over the surface basking temps and how you were getting them NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- next the UVB MUST be a long tube fixture NO coils--- these things are all imperative for the dragon to live ---- once these things are on par your dragon should thrive unless there is underlying causes for this to happen that we cant see--

Deneen

I am so sorry to hear about the dragon --- I dont know exactly what happened but the tank husbandry needs to be on par for dragons to live --
The associates??? Meaning reptile store people? If so they can give bad advice-- first was the tank disinfected before the new dragon went in? Next please go over the surface basking temps and how you were getting them NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- next the UVB MUST be a long tube fixture NO coils--- these things are all imperative for the dragon to live ---- once these things are on par your dragon should thrive unless there is underlying causes for this to happen that we cant see--
Thank you for the feedback. Please see the attached habitat set up. Along with the items inside we cleaned with warm water and let them air dry as well. Them temperature ranges between 77 and 80 basking side and cool side about 30. She/he was moving about an appeared to be thriving for the last few days and this morning was busy.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 27

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for the feedback. Please see the attached habitat set up. Along with the items inside we cleaned with warm water and let them air dry as well. Them temperature ranges between 77 and 80 basking side and cool side about 30. She/he was moving about an appeared to be thriving for the last few days and this morning was busy.
I see domes and no digital probe thermometers- what is in the domes? I am assuming one of them was/ is a coil UVB ---- 77 - 80 degree for basking temps is not hot enough - good for cool side of the tank but not good for starting digestion-- surface basking temps need to be 105-110 -- a good long tube UVB like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% 24 watt bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptsiun bulb posted above--- basking bulbs need to be a solid clear bright white bulb --- the tank should of been disinfected w/ F10 a vet disinfectant or Zoo Meds Wipe Out -- this is precautionary for viruses / diseases -- please do not listen to the people giving advice at that pet store they do not know what they are doing -- I would suggest you get a different dragon from somewhere else and we can help you get it set up correctly --

Deneen

I see domes and no digital probe thermometers- what is in the domes? I am assuming one of them was/ is a coil UVB ---- 77 - 80 degree for basking temps is not hot enough - good for cool side of the tank but not good for starting digestion-- surface basking temps need to be 105-110 -- a good long tube UVB like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% 24 watt bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptsiun bulb posted above--- basking bulbs need to be a solid clear bright white bulb --- the tank should of been disinfected w/ F10 a vet disinfectant or Zoo Meds Wipe Out -- this is precautionary for viruses / diseases -- please do not listen to the people giving advice at that pet store they do not know what they are doing -- I would suggest you get a different dragon from somewhere else and we can help you get it set up correctly --
OMG after reading this. This explains both deaths. We have two digital thermometers (humidity and basking). Both the domes have the lights that the pet store suggested. They told us nothing about the disinfectant wipes.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator note:

Please start your own thread for advice instead of using someone elses. It is not fair to the original poster and makes it confusing for anyone else reading the thread to notice two
separate topics.

Locked by Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom