Any tips for feeding BSFL.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
So Beebz likes BSFL. I like them because they are pretty cheap and high in calcium.

But I hate trying to get the little things out of the sawdust or whatever they are in, wash all that stuff off. Make sure none are dead and only then be ready to feed them to him.

It's not so bad the first couple times as plenty are wriggling near the top. But as I use them up and there is way more substrate than larvae I find myself taking 15 minutes just getting them ready. Dubai or crickets on the other hand I just pluck out of container.

Any tips for quickly getting 30-40 of them ready in a reasonable amount of time?

Also is there a brand recommendation to get only the biggest ones? The nutrigrub brand always seems to he a mix of random sizes even when I order large .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So Beebz likes BSFL. I like them because they are pretty cheap and high in calcium.

But I hate trying to get the little things out of the sawdust or whatever they are in, wash all that stuff off. Make sure none are dead and only then be ready to feed them to him.

It's not so bad the first couple times as plenty are wriggling near the top. But as I use them up and there is way more substrate than larvae I find myself taking 15 minutes just getting them ready. Dubai or crickets on the other hand I just pluck out of container.

Any tips for quickly getting 30-40 of them ready in a reasonable amount of time?

Also is there a brand recommendation to get only the biggest ones? The nutrigrub brand always seems to he a mix of random sizes even when I order large .
Where are you getting them from? www.symtonbsf.com seem to have the bigger larvae -- you can try getting a sifter from them --

tropicalsoul

Beardie name(s)
Dusty

I have a small strainer that has holes large enough for the substrate to pass through but not the BSFL. I scoop out a bit with a spoon and sift the substrate back into the container. I pull out any stray substrate or molt with my tweezers and dump the clean BSFL into the bowl. Works a charm and it's fast.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Where are you getting them from? www.symtonbsf.com seem to have the bigger larvae -- you can try getting a sifter from them --
I've been getting them from dubiaroaches.com. They are 8$ for a 500count so they are a lot cheaper, but perhaps the difference in quality is why. I use the sifter from dubai also but the smaller ones will fall through the sifter.

I have a small strainer that has holes large enough for the substrate to pass through but not the BSFL. I scoop out a bit with a spoon and sift the substrate back into the container. I pull out any stray substrate or molt with my tweezers and dump the clean BSFL into the bowl. Works a charm and it's fast.
I'll have to look for a smaller sifter. The one dubai sells is too big easily sift back into the container.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I've been getting them from dubiaroaches.com. They are 8$ for a 500count so they are a lot cheaper, but perhaps the difference in quality is why. I use the sifter from dubai also but the smaller ones will fall through the sifter.

I'll have to look for a smaller sifter. The one dubai sells is too big easily sift back into the container.
Look at symtonbsf for the larvae and the strainer --

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Look at symtonbsf for the larvae and the strainer --
Thier strainer looks pretty big, are you sifting over the bsfl container or do you have a bin your collecting the substrate in and pouring it back?

tropicalsoul

Beardie name(s)
Dusty

I think the ones I got are from a dollar store or something. It's a set and the largest one would fit over the top of a coffee mug. I've had them for ages, but this is the first time I've used them.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom