Am I Doing This Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my baby Maleficent. She's about 3.5 months old and 12 inches long. I've had her for 3 months. She's a really friendly little girl and I adore her but I'm always worried that I'm not caring for her properly despite following all of the recommendations for beardie care lol.

She eats really well, she gets a mixed daily diet of gut-loaded crickets, hornworms, silkworms and gut-loaded superworms, plus gut-loaded meal worms and wax worms for treats/diet variations (dubia roaches aren't available where I live otherwise she'd have those too). She gets fed insects twice a day, as much as she'll eat in 10 minutes and I dust her first meal with calcium and vitamin supplements every day. She also gets daily greens/veggies which she did not care for when she was younger but now she absolutely loves and always finishes.

I give her baths a few times a week for about 10 minutes just because she seems to enjoy them and they help her poop really easily. Speaking of poop, she does that at least once every day but usually twice so she's really regular lol.

Her tank is a 40 gallon which I know is small for adults so she will be getting an upgrade eventually but right now she's still a baby. Her basking temp is about 105 and her cool side stays around 78-80. Her uvb light sits over her basking spot so she can soak up lots of rays while she's warming up.

She's easy to handle, I hold her at least twice a day for about an hour and she's really calm and likes to snuggle into my neck and sit in my lap. She is also OBSESSED with television (so am I) and she watches it with me everyday lol so I always leave cartoons on for her when I leave the house because I think she enjoys the bright colors the most.

I don't have a specific question but I guess I'm just wondering if the care I'm giving her is good quality. She's my first beardie but also my first reptile and my first pet that's just mine to take care of. Here's some photo's I took of her today and her tank. I love her a lot and just want to give her the best!

Attachments

• 20220201_155947.jpg
    20220201_155947.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220204_121327.jpg
    20220204_121327.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220204_122107.jpg
    20220204_122107.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220204_124345.jpg
    20220204_124345.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is my baby Maleficent. She's about 3.5 months old and 12 inches long. I've had her for 3 months. She's a really friendly little girl and I adore her but I'm always worried that I'm not caring for her properly despite following all of the recommendations for beardie care lol.

She eats really well, she gets a mixed daily diet of gut-loaded crickets, hornworms, silkworms and gut-loaded superworms, plus gut-loaded meal worms and wax worms for treats/diet variations (dubia roaches aren't available where I live otherwise she'd have those too). She gets fed insects twice a day, as much as she'll eat in 10 minutes and I dust her first meal with calcium and vitamin supplements every day. She also gets daily greens/veggies which she did not care for when she was younger but now she absolutely loves and always finishes.

I give her baths a few times a week for about 10 minutes just because she seems to enjoy them and they help her poop really easily. Speaking of poop, she does that at least once every day but usually twice so she's really regular lol.

Her tank is a 40 gallon which I know is small for adults so she will be getting an upgrade eventually but right now she's still a baby. Her basking temp is about 105 and her cool side stays around 78-80. Her uvb light sits over her basking spot so she can soak up lots of rays while she's warming up.

She's easy to handle, I hold her at least twice a day for about an hour and she's really calm and likes to snuggle into my neck and sit in my lap. She is also OBSESSED with television (so am I) and she watches it with me everyday lol so I always leave cartoons on for her when I leave the house because I think she enjoys the bright colors the most.

I don't have a specific question but I guess I'm just wondering if the care I'm giving her is good quality. She's my first beardie but also my first reptile and my first pet that's just mine to take care of. Here's some photo's I took of her today and her tank. I love her a lot and just want to give her the best!
It sounds like your doing a great job w/ her and love the pic on the floor w/ her on your foot - I see the UVB is sitting on top of your screen - as long as the screen is a wide hole type and sitting approx 8-10 inches directly over your basking spot she should be good - if the screen is a fine mesh type you might want to consider putting it in the tank or getting it unobstructed w/a distance of 12-15 inches -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Everything looks really nice, great job. She is beautiful, so I'm sure that with your care she will grow rapidly.
Per Karrie's suggestion, changing the lighting placement should help out a lot for her & the stronger UVB exposure will help
support her growth.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Maleficent27

Original Poster
It sounds like your doing a great job w/ her and love the pic on the floor w/ her on your foot - I see the UVB is sitting on top of your screen - as long as the screen is a wide hole type and sitting approx 8-10 inches directly over your basking spot she should be good - if the screen is a fine mesh type you might want to consider putting it in the tank or getting it unobstructed w/a distance of 12-15 inches -
I fixed her uvb light today and mounted it on the inside of her tank. Thank you for the advice! 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom