Aggressive Little 3 month old Beardie

Broken_Wing2005

Hey guys!

So I need some tips and tricks for a little upset beardie I have. And to give a little background, I've had beardies for I think the past 11 years-? So not necessarily new to them lol, I love the little guys. I've had skittish animals and worked with lizards etc to get them used to them being handled, but I'm not really sure how to proceed with her at this point.

So now for Swiftie's background. I got her in December as a very very small hatchling (maybe week to 2 weeks old) and she was skittish, and she was the smallest baby I had ever seen. I didn't handle her a ton due to not wanting to lose her or injure her. I hadn't had issues with Beardies before very much with getting them calmed down so I thought waiting to handle her until she was a little bigger wouldn't be a problem. So as she's gotten bigger I started trying to handle her and hand feed her etc. But she has continued to run away and now puffs up, sideways, mouth open while hissing at me. I usually put a piece of food in her mouth when she does this but I feel a little bit at a loss, I haven't even tried to pick her up other than trying to show her food in her bowl like I do my other beardies. I've been going slow and trying the last 4-5weeks to get her calmed down.

I don't know if this is a factor at all, but maybe there is slight variations in behavior, her mom was a smaller varity of bearded dragon apparently. And if anyone has any info on that in general I would greatly appreciate it!

40 gallon
Basking white heat bulb 105 cool side 70
UVB across entire top T5 reptisun tube, as old as her
Bedding Alfalfa Pellets
Water bowl
Diet mainly crickets, some veggies, dandelion greens
Calcium sometimes with D3 and somtimes without, 3-4 times a week

Thank you!
Kelly

noella5088

Juvie Member
Do you come from above as some enclosures have openings on the top and if you wave your hand over them, or reach from above, they think you're a predator.

Have you tried to put something of yours in her tank? She may need to get used to your scent.
And have you tried handling her before bedtime? When my sweet boy was little, he would get skittish, and run from me. I'd wait until he was half asleep to pick him up and let him sleep on my chest. I'd cover him up with a small soft washcloth and he'd fall asleep on me, breathing in my scent during his sleep.
Now, 9 years later, he still sleeps on my chest and even comes to me when he needs me.

Broken_Wing2005

Original Poster
Do you come from above as some enclosures have openings on the top and if you wave your hand over them, or reach from above, they think you're a predator.

Have you tried to put something of yours in her tank? She may need to get used to your scent.
And have you tried handling her before bedtime? When my sweet boy was little, he would get skittish, and run from me. I'd wait until he was half asleep to pick him up and let him sleep on my chest. I'd cover him up with a small soft washcloth and he'd fall asleep on me, breathing in my scent during his sleep.
Now, 9 years later, he still sleeps on my chest and even comes to me when he needs me.
No it's front opening double doors
Ok thank you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No it's front opening double doors
Ok thank you!
A trick I use is get them out at bedtime once they are already sleepy. Let them fall asleep on you. Once they get used to it they come to expect it lol. It also becomes a safe place.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom