Acting the Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

StabbyMAc

Right, so I've two Beardies, Xaden and Aanq... Xaden is male and about a month or so older than aanq... but they're both still under 5 months and definately not ready for Mating yet...

Query 1Anyway, to the point, just the other night I caught Xaden trying to bite Aanq... I figure that's normal enough, they're not old enough to be in the throughs of passion so he's probably just flexing his muscles a bit. However right now he keeps following her around and lying on top of her whenever she sits still... Anyone know what the craic is there?

Query 2 I know there's a point where they stop eating as much as they used to, a certain amount of crickets is enough for them. But I think the two of them have reached that point already. They just don't eat that many crickets, maybe about 15 each a day.. and that's the maximum... I did introduce locusts to their diet as a treat a month or so ago and whenever I pop some into the viv they get well stuck in to them... Do you reckon that has something to do with it? Crickets just don't cut the mustard for them anymore?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey there!! Sounds like they are being a bit of a handful!!

In answer to your questions - here is my take.....

Query 1 - it appears that dominance may be becoming an issue with your 2 little guys. The lying on top of her is his way of saying he is the dominant of the 2!!! I suspect there may be a few toe/tail nips if you are not careful!! Another month or 2 and the male will be ready to do things she will be nowhere near ready to deal with if you get what im saying!!

Query 2 - locusts = steak.... crickets = hamburger!!! I know which one I would prefer. I only feed crickets when i cant get any locusts - I hate crickets, they are fiddly and stink lol!!! THats just a personal thing tho!! My little guy has just passed the six month mark and will still devour an entire box of locusts in one sitting (if not more).... and on the VERY RARE occasions that he gets crix, he easily goes through the entire box!!!! My female, who is 14 months, turns her nose up at crickets and walks away - as if shes saying 'how dare you put such an ugly 'thing' into my house and expect me to eat it!!' lol!!!

Good luck!!

T

StabbyMAc

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice... I could see where you're coming from with the dominance point but at the same time the two of em keep licking eachother... they both seem really happy and most of the time get on great...

LJean

Extreme Poster
There is a chance that he getting close to be ready to mate. She is way too young for that to happen. Or he is showing a bit of aggression towards her. I suggest you seperate them before something bad happens.

Sometimes beardies go through periods where they don't like their regular feeders. Changing them up a bit, adding variety helps.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Dominance may not be an issue at the moment... but just to emphasise my second point to that query -
MissT":73d60 said:
Another month or 2 and the male will be ready to do things she will be nowhere near ready to deal with if you get what im saying!!

StabbyMAc

Original Poster
LJean":776e2 said:
There is a chance that he getting close to be ready to mate. She is way too young for that to happen. Or he is showing a bit of aggression towards her. I suggest you seperate them before something bad happens.

Sometimes beardies go through periods where they don't like their regular feeders. Changing them up a bit, adding variety helps.

It really looked to me as just a one off act of aggression to be honest with ya, otherwise they looked to be as happy as Larry.

And they get a nice rotation of Black and Brown crickets and a couple boxes of locusts a week...

jeitzen

Juvie Member
A male bearded dragon is no where near sexual maturity at 5 months old. If one is bigger than the other and is displaying signs of aggression make sure to keep a good eye on them.

Juveniles can become aggressive at each other and they can hurt or kill each other. It also doesn't take more than one attack of a few seconds to inflict damage.

MissT

BD.org Addict
jeitzen":0515d said:
A male bearded dragon is no where near sexual maturity at 5 months old.

Not suggesting sexual maturity atm but in a couple months, he will be getting a little hormonal!!! My little guy is just over 6 months and his behaviour is ridiculous when he catches a glimpse of the female!!! I can only imagine what he would do if he was housed with a female!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom