Acclimating new Beardie with current one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moneypenny

Hey everybody, been awhile since I posted here!

I just received a new Beardie today, my second one. He/She (not sure on the sex yet) is a very pretty little Snow morph juvie who is adjusting very well already. I was so excited to get her/him! But my other Beardie, Rawley, a 14 mo old male was NOT so happy! :shock:

He went ballistic when he saw the new addition. I have never seen him like that. Violently head bobbing, stamping his feet, blackest of black beards all the way down to his chest. Since he has been an 'only child' so far, I had not seen this sort of behavior, beyond a brief spurt of head bobbing during 'puberty' and a few 'gray' beards now and then. He is the sweetest thing, so it was pretty wild to see him like this.

I put up a barrier between their two enclosures (they WILL NOT and NEVER WILL be kept in the same enclosure!), which are about a foot apart from one another. After that Rawley calmed down, a little. Plus, I didn't want to stress out the new addition (Misha) and more than she/he already was. But Rawley still kept head bobbing, black bearding periodically throughout the day, once when he caught a mere glimpse of Misha while out, and the rest at random intervals (I suppose even the mere thought of the offending juvie did it for him lol). He even started head bobbing me while I was holding him in a separate room . He kept obsessively going over to the covered side of his enclosure, trying to peek around the butcher paper I had taped up there, and then giving me that piercing Beardie glare. If I didn't know better, I could swear he was jealous. It made me feel guilty!

I guess my question is, for those who have had the experience of bringing in a new Beardie in a previously one Beardie home, will the territorial lizard eventually 'chill out', or will I likely have to keep the barrier up all the time? I'm sure the sex of the new one will effect this to some extent, and I know every Beardie is different, but I would love to hear some others experiences so I can get a better idea of how to acclimate both of them as best I can.

Thank you!

-Melissa

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
I think you're probably going to have to keep the barrier up. If Misha turns out to be male, then there'll be the whole dominance thing, and if Misha is female there'll be sexual tension galore! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom