5 months old and only 10 inches long...need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! My bearded dragon Ripple hatched in early May and I received him on June 16th when he was 6 inches long. He grew to 10 inches between then and August but he hasn't grown at all or shed since then :( From what I've read, he should be up to about 15 inches by now and I'm starting to get worried about him. He seems healthy otherwise, bright eyed and active, but I'm pretty sure that 10 inches is way too small for a 5 month old. Has anyone else had this problem? Or know of a way to fix it? I would love to figure out something to help my little guy grow. Thanks in advance!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Has anyone gone over your setup with you? It usually has something to do with lighting, temps & diet, or a combination. Most of the time a few tweaks and adjustments and you're on your way. Don't worry, I rescued a 5 month old dragon that was 7" long and 28 grams who has now grown to 20" and 720 grams, so it probably won't affect it's full size.

moonshadow116

Original Poster
I think I've got the temps and everything figured out pretty well...between 75 and 80 on the cool side and between 100-110 on the hot side. I measure these with digital thermometers with probes. I have a Reptisun 10.0 for him as well that he is usually within 6 inches of.

He hasn't been eating nearly as much lately though and has been hanging out on the cool side of his tank sleeping for part of the day, so the thought of brumation crossed my mind but I think he's too young for that? Anyway your story about your rescue dragon makes me feel better! I'm glad he's doing good

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I've had 7 month old dragons brumate as well. One of mine, a female decided she would sleep back in February and slept two months. When she woke up in May she was 250 grams, I figured she would be a small dragon. I was wrong, she decided she was hungry and is now almost 450 grams. So reptiles can control their metabolism quite well. The only thing you want to be careful about is if there may be parasites. You don't want to write off symptoms to possible brumation. Coccidia destroys the cells within the digestive system and will cause dehydration and malnutrition even though your dragon is getting all the food and fluids it needs. Your best bet would be to get a fecal done and rule out any chance of parasites first. I just did 5 fecals this morning and every one was completely different. I've got one dragon that stresses for no reason, wouldn't you know she has the most coccidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom