2 crickets escaped inside beardie enclosure. What to do?

tedbubz

Beardie name(s)
Ted (1 year 2 mo) Western Bearded Dragon - Pogona minor minor)
Hey all,

So despite my dragon being very active he will never catch/hunt his own food and I have to bring the bugs to him.

2 crickets escaped my tongs and is inside the enclosure now. It's a hassle since most decor are connected to each other so to find them I'll have to tear apart the whole set up.

Despite this would it still be best to just disassemble the tank? Forgive my ignorance but if I leave the crickets would they breed or die (if they die do they...become a breeding ground for bacteria or something)?

They're medium sized crickets (1.5cms/0.6 inch). My deep cleaning is due start of next month but I don't want my beardie to be in any danger though so any advice would be appreciated!

Obligatory pic of my beardie being a lazy bum:
20220822_160059.jpg

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
It’s gone be a pain to take everything out but unfortunately yes. Listen out for the chirp may help a lil bit in terms of where they can be. So you so t have to take a lot of it out. Crickets can bite your beardie. Most severe case I’ve seen they stayed in an ate a hole in the beardie. I believe it was posted on here.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It’s gone be a pain to take everything out but unfortunately yes. Listen out for the chirp may help a lil bit in terms of where they can be. So you so t have to take a lot of it out. Crickets can bite your beardie. Most severe case I’ve seen they stayed in an ate a hole in the beardie. I believe it was posted on here.
Oh gosh, I never considered that. Better start now I guess. Thank you for letting me know that sounds so awful :"(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've had times when a cricket or 2 was loose in the cage. Just leave a few pieces of veggies at different spots in the there , that will attract the crickets and they should leave him alone.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I've had times when a cricket or 2 was loose in the cage. Just leave a few pieces of veggies at different spots in the there , that will attract the crickets and they should leave him alone.
I actually just went all out and spent 2 hours taking my set up apart, managed to find them and put everything back in place 😅

Thank you for the input though...although I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon since I'm going to be extra careful now. I have learnt my lesson.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I actually just went all out and spent 2 hours taking my set up apart, managed to find them and put everything back in place 😅

Thank you for the input though...although I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon since I'm going to be extra careful now. I have learnt my lesson.
When I used crickets I had a separate feeding container.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom