How to tell if a female has eggs?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

How to tell if a female has eggs?

Postby opi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

My female bearded dragon is about 12 months old, I think she is too young to lay eggs. But I noticed today these little hard bumps in the lower part of her body, almost where her tail starts.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way to know when a female dragon is getting ready to lay eggs?

Thanks!!
opi
Newbie Poster

Re: How to tell if a female has eggs?

Postby sddragons » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:59 pm

Well she is not really to young. Depends on the BD and her size. My 9 month old female has laid eggs twice in the last month and has never been with a male yet. Some mature faster than others , I guess. If she starts digging a lot in your tank, she is probably ready to lay and you should get a lay box prepared.
If she has not been with a male yet, they are probably infertile eggs but she needs to get them out and then you can just freeze them and dispose of them.

opi wrote:My female bearded dragon is about 12 months old, I think she is too young to lay eggs. But I noticed today these little hard bumps in the lower part of her body, almost where her tail starts.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way to know when a female dragon is getting ready to lay eggs?

Thanks!!
JD Dombrowski/San Diego Dragons
http://www.sandiegodragons.com

sddragons
Juvie Poster

Postby MissingBello » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:29 pm

What is a lay box? Our female is going to lay soon. She's digging a lot and we do not know what to do for her.
MissingBello
Hatchling Poster

Postby Ethelia » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 am

Hi there,
A laybox is a large tub full of damp soil + vermicile or sand. There should be plenty of depth for her to dig down, at least 8 inches Id say.

Dragons like to dig to lay their eggs and then cover them again so the substrate should be damp enough for your dragon to not have it collapse on her if she tries to dig, but not soaking so its too heavy for her to push around. If you are using sand it should be "sandcastle building" consitstancy.

If she starts digging frantically again put her laybox and wait.
She may not "get it" right away but if you put her in the laybox every time she starts digging hopefulyl she will understand.

Holly
Forever slave to my rescued monsters:
Miso
Billy (now sleeping)
Ruben (now sleeping)
Dex (now sleeping)
Ethelia
Extreme Poster

Return to General Discussion