Residue/crust or sore lips

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizzy1

Hi everyone,

Hoping you guys can help me. My sons beardy spike has some type of residue or crust on his lips. At first I thought maybe it was residue from eating crickets but I’ve tried cleaning it off with a warm cloth but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I don’t want to try too hard because I’m afraid of hurting him. I did some research and thought that maybe it’s mouth rot but I’m not sure. Help would be appreciated
109985-4780835528.jpg
109985-266927463.jpg
109985-2122841869.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure what that is and your not able to get it off ? What is the substrate in the tank? What have you been feeding? Crickets what else? Have you looked in his mouth? If you can get a shot of inside the mouth would be helpfull-- I am going to flag to AHBD and Tracie the vet tech mod so they can look -- in the meantime please post what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube -- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them-- NO stick ons please -- these things I am asking about is crucial to the dragons health ---

dizzy1

Original Poster
I was able to wipe off very little but I didn’t want scrub too hard because I’m scared of hurting him.I have carpet. Feeding him crickets dusted with calcium. Occasionally dubia roaches and veggies in the morning. I have the zoo med 22” t5h0 for uvb. Basking temp is usually between 95-105 degrees using a digital thermometer. What’s the best way for me to take a pic of inside his mouth?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure -- maybe have someone help you -- using a credit card to pry the mouth open -- is his lips sore do you know? The lighting is good --- and temps are good - the UVB is placed where? top of screen or inside the tank -- maybe AHBD or Tracie can help w/ getting the mouth open as well --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is he eating well or has he stopped ? That does look like mouth rot or infection, it would need vet attention if it is. A vet would debride that and put him on antibiotics. Do you have betadine at home or raw honey. Raw [ unpasteurized ] honey is great on wounds. Try watered down betadine on a soft towel to gently scrub more of that off , then apply the raw honey.

dizzy1

Original Poster
His appetite has been good. Also his stool. His overall daily behavior is normal. I’d have to buy both things I don’t have any at home.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that he's still eating but if that's mouth rot it usually progresses until they stop eating. See if you can use the steps I mentioned and if it can't be cleaned off you'll need to see an experienced reptile vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome , hope everything turns out O.K .
Mouth rot, aka infectious stomatitis can be very serious so be looking for an experienced reptile vet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Might come off with his next lip and face shed.

Might be worth using a soggy paper towel rolled into a wad , hold it against the crusty stuff for a while to let moisture soften the crust , might then come off damp cotton earbuds.

If not I'd get hold of a little tube of Activon Manuka Honey , apply to area with cotton earbud .

Yep if this is persistent , a vet needs to see it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look pretty serious there. How long has his mouth appeared that way?
As suggested, try to find a good vet to help with an analysis. Manuka honey or, raw
unpasteurized honey would be very beneficial because it is an anti-microbial agent.
Is he eating very much right now?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

dizzy1

Original Poster
I just started the betadine and honey yesterday(Sunday). How long should I wait to see an improvement or take him to the vet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is there any change ? I think it needs vet care now before it gets worse, unless you're actually seeing improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom