what’s in her belly? *post surgery*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!!

I had a post a few weeks back “What’s in her belly?” With an X-ray of my girls belly. At the time we were told she was likely eggbound. Well her surgery was today it went really well considering doc was in there almost 2.5 hours. He removed a large mass in addition to a floating mass (likely a calcified egg) and removed her lady parts. She seems okay for now just really sleepy and lethargic but she’s on an antibiotic and Tramadol for pain. Doc said she should get better with each passing day.

Now for why I’m still so concerned. That large mass. (I’m attaching a pic here hope that’s okay.) Doc had/has no idea what this is, it is the one all the way on the right on the pic. He said it could be cancerous or possibly eggs that became bound together over time. He suggested sending it out for testing (which I did for $170) but he said it was really tangled in her. He had to trim around her fat pads and her gi track to dislodge it. He said that she did have some follicles (I think) burst while he was working on her but he said he cleaned everything very well and has her on the antibiotic for the next 2 weeks.

I really just wanted to update everyone and get your take on the pics and and suggestions on care for her in the coming days or what I should expect. The vet went over everything but personal experiences can differ, so I thought I’d ask.

Thanks for all your help and concern through all of this!

111034-9795663794.jpg
111034-4257244817.jpg
111034-1947522974.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When will you get the results back from the lab regarding that tissue sample?
Hopefully it isn't cancerous & just a benign mass. It is possible that an egg burst & caused
some trouble, that is relatively common.
So they did go ahead & spay her then, poor girl! She probably feels better though. The
antibiotic should help out with any type of infection that could be brewing from the internal
issues.
She looks good in the picture, no black beard there.
I hope she is on the mend. For now, try to keep her a little warmer overnight to help with her
immune system right now. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Hello,

When will you get the results back from the lab regarding that tissue sample?
Hopefully it isn't cancerous & just a benign mass. It is possible that an egg burst & caused
some trouble, that is relatively common.
So they did go ahead & spay her then, poor girl! She probably feels better though. The
antibiotic should help out with any type of infection that could be brewing from the internal
issues.
She looks good in the picture, no black beard there.
I hope she is on the mend. For now, try to keep her a little warmer overnight to help with her
immune system right now. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie[/quote]

111034-7897241502.jpg

That pic was actually pre-surgery. This one is more recent, from today. She seems to be doing okay. I can’t get her to eat though I haven’t tried supers yet. She still won’t eat salad though. However, I have been giving her green critical care at lease once a day and she seems to take it okay. I’m praying it’s not cancer but I’m not entirely sure what it’ll be back I didn’t think to ask.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Sounds like it was done just in time and by a vet who knows their stuff. She looks good in the latest photo. Nice and alert looking. Hopefully she will heal quickly and not have any further issues.

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
I’m hoping she will. I’m just struggling to get her to eat. We have tried discoids, bsfl, and even supers (her fave treat) and she will not touch any of it. I’ve still been making her a salad every day but I come home and it’s the same as when I left. My moms been watching her while I work and said she did eat 1 blueberry today. She will lick the critical care here and there but that’s all I can get in her. I’m think about calling the vet tomorrow. She also hasn’t pooped since last Thursday before the surgery.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Eating and digestion may take a bit of time to go back to normal after surgery. I'd stick with soft foods for a while and avoid things like roaches with the tougher shells. Just to make things a bit easier to digest.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
hi!
I’m so sorry about all the stress and I am glad your beardie is recovering.
Can I ask GMS hi your vet was? Cause my beardie was euthanized today for a mass found on exam and X-ray ( not eggs) - at her advanced age he recommended this. I tried for three hours to find a reptile vet and NO ONE would see her. :(. I am heart broken. I probably shouldn’t second guess what I did- I didn’t have options. She went down quick with weight loss and dehydration but I can’t help feeling so guilty and devastated. I have an X-ray. Maybe they would look at it for me.

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
hi!
I’m so sorry about all the stress and I am glad your beardie is recovering.
Can I ask GMS hi your vet was? Cause my beardie was euthanized today for a mass found on exam and X-ray ( not eggs) - at her advanced age he recommended this. I tried for three hours to find a reptile vet and NO ONE would see her. :(. I am heart broken. I probably shouldn’t second guess what I did- I didn’t have options. She went down quick with weight loss and dehydration but I can’t help feeling so guilty and devastated. I have an X-ray. Maybe they would look at it for me.

Hello, I’m so sorry to hear about your baby. My condolences for your loss. Don’t second guess yourself you did the best you could given the circumstances. As for my girl, her mass ended up being a teratoma, non malignant thankfully. As for my vet you could try sending them an e mail. I’m not sure where your located but I live in Florida. We see Doctor Tony at Animal and exotic medical center. He is one of the most highly recommended exotics in our area of heard of people driving hours to see him. I’m blessed to have him near by!! They are very reasonable and understanding of finances and what not. Maybe they could give you some additional closure. Again, I and so sorry for your loss! Best of luck to you!

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Hello, I’m so sorry to hear about your baby. My condolences for your loss. Don’t second guess yourself you did the best you could given the circumstances. As for my girl, her mass ended up being a teratoma, non malignant thankfully. As for my vet you could try sending them an e mail. I’m not sure where your located but I live in Florida. We see Doctor Tony at Animal and exotic medical center. He is one of the most highly recommended exotics in our area of heard of people driving hours to see him. I’m blessed to have him near by!! They are very reasonable and understanding of finances and what not. Maybe they could give you some additional closure. Again, I and so sorry for your loss! Best of luck to you!
Thank you so so so much. I have made a note of your vets name. I am not sure now that I have it that I can/should/will reach out. But I appreciate it. I am still early in my grief so I may need his advice at some point. How is your baby doing? I send her some healing juju

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Thank you so so so much. I have made a note of your vets name. I am not sure now that I have it that I can/should/will reach out. But I appreciate it. I am still early in my grief so I may need his advice at some point. How is your baby doing? I send her some healing juju
I can’t imagine the sadness you feel. There is still a chance that cancer could have been present in your baby. My girls still got to be checked every year to f ensure it’s not growing back. She’s doing well now though. She’s been awake the last two days after brumating got 2 months. I’m praying she’s finally out of brumation. It’s been driving me crazy that she’s always asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom