runny poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mentalj21

Hello all need a little bit of help with my dragon, so 2 months ago i got given a male(adult) bd, the tank i got given was very small had a coil uvb light and UVA basking light.
After a week in this tank he pooped it was runny and very mushy and noticed he was stressed out black beard head bobbing at me quite a lot after a month in this tank he settled down but his poop was still stayed the same. So i went ahead and decided to build a 40 gallon tank and replace the coil uvb with a arcadia tube 12% and keep the previous basking light.

After the build i put him in his new tank and have seen no improvements in his poop its still very mushy with quite alot off water, i always put a bowl of spring greens in his tank with some squash and on the odd occasion put in a little bit of kale (rarely) then 3 times a week i feed him locusts I also lightly dust the locusts in calcium dust.

Now i read drinking to much water can cause excess liquid in the poop i myself never put a bowl in the tank, when i cut his veggies i rinse them well in water and put into the tank and that is how he gets his water.

So his tank is 40 gallon
Lights UVA + UVB arcadia 12% at correct height
Food spring greens/squash/ occasionally a little bit of kale and very very rarely a tiny bit of banana
Water source is from washing veggies
Here is a image of the poop ::: https://imgur.com/a/sdvIZrO
When he poops he seems to not move away from it also not sure if there is a meaning too this but ill add just incase.

Any help would be amazing thanks in advance

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so lay off washing the veggies for now --- and it looks like it could be parasites - I would get a fecal into your vet --- call and see if you can drop a sample off to them --- just to make sure the UVB is correctly place where do you have it --- placement and distance please - basking temps are what and how are you taking them??

mentalj21

Original Poster
https://imgur.com/6IZSCBM (lights)
I forgot to mention it is a T5 uvb and sits at 13 inches away from basking spot.
Basking spot temps are 39 c (102 F )
Cool side 24 c (75 f)
I am using two digital probes they sit on the outside with the wire going to basking spot/cool spot the black thing on the back is the thermostat.
Yesterday before he pooped was strange his beard turned black and started to move around climb alot more , which was strange since i have not seen him turn black in a long time.
Also on this site they have so many tests which one is viable for him? https://www.palsvetlab.co.uk/product/reptile-kits/
I live in london and local vets dont do reptiles i will have to look further afield i think but i could always use that website.
Thanks for the reply karrieree

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok your UVB is inside the tank? Distance is good if its inside--- do you have a screen mesh on top of the tank? And if so it needs to be a wide hole type if its sitting on top of that and distance would then need to be 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath it- I am going to flag your post to some people about that test kit website -- one is a vet tech mod she can help you there
here is a website for reptile vets in the UK https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
Look at these websites and see if there is one near you --

mentalj21

Original Poster
sorry forgot to mention that it is inside the tank and thanks for the links i will check today, appreciate the help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
That is great your UVB light is mounted inside of the tank. Since it is a T5, a 10 inch distance
is fine for safety.
Are you trying to get a fecal done on your dragon?
You could try to get some probiotics into him to see if that will help out with any stomach issues.
If you feel like he has parasite problems, you can try making a slurry out of parsley, cilantro,
mint, oregano & basil. Simply make a paste & then blend with water to give daily to help with
naturally clearing up parasites.

Tracie

mentalj21

Original Poster
Drache613":1vy8kk4d said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
That is great your UVB light is mounted inside of the tank. Since it is a T5, a 10 inch distance
is fine for safety.
Are you trying to get a fecal done on your dragon?
You could try to get some probiotics into him to see if that will help out with any stomach issues.
If you feel like he has parasite problems, you can try making a slurry out of parsley, cilantro,
mint, oregano & basil. Simply make a paste & then blend with water to give daily to help with
naturally clearing up parasites.

Tracie

I will be ordering a test on Monday and then see how its goes from there with the test , i have quite a few herbs indoors will have to give that a try :), you mentioned probiotics i guess there are ones for bearded dragons ?if so do you have any recommendations.

He seems fine hiding away in his cave pops out for 5/6 hours basking moving around , he normally poops every 3 days today is the fourth and still nothing not sure if that is a good sign only time will tell before but i have been leaving less water on veggies so fingers crossed his poop is not as bad as last time.
Another thing i should have mentioned is that when i got this BD he was in a 40 gallon tank with a female but the owner basically had wood separating them both , my sister then took the female i took the angry male :) she said her BD poop was runny also like cow poop with water around it then after time it went back to normal, but still on the odd occasions it can be similar to mine but no where near as bad.
Thanks for the help and advice

mentalj21

Original Poster
Good evening all finally got the faecal tests back::

MICROBIOLOGY
Faecal Examination MODERATE NUMBER OF NEMATODE OVA SEEN
No additional ova, cysts or parasites seen
*Please take this report to your local veterinarian,
your animal may require husbandry advice and / or
possible treatment given the above results*

Now my sister is a vet training and mentioned something about panacur so she is gonna contact her friend for more information but to be honest i would really like to know your advice :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Probiotics are very helpful. You can look for non dairy organic soy yogurt, or, non dairy
acidophiliz either one. They can be given daily for awhile to help balance out his system.
The Panacur will treat the nematodes, it looks like they are only moderate so that should
be easy to treat.

Tracie

mentalj21

Original Poster
Drache613":2as94b6i said:
Hello,

Probiotics are very helpful. You can look for non dairy organic soy yogurt, or, non dairy
acidophiliz either one. They can be given daily for awhile to help balance out his system.
The Panacur will treat the nematodes, it looks like they are only moderate so that should
be easy to treat.

Tracie

Morning thanks for the reply, glad i can treat the BD now since the poop really stinks my house out bad , i have read about dosage of panacur etc but when purchasing it there is a % on the label one says 10% while the other is 18.75 % and i would assume the higher % you would need less dose compared to the lower % these two for example ::
https://amzn.to/3skfVKK
https://amzn.to/3dh2l6u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom