Ultrasonic pest controller around dragons?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Ultrasonic pest controller around dragons?

Postby DragonPete » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Wondering if anyone has used the plug in pest controllers that emit a frequency that makes pests leave? It's that time of year when the flying and crawling critters come out and was considering buying some but didn't know if it would have an adverse effect on my Petey. 😊
Thanks!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Ultrasonic pest controller around dragons?

Postby Gormagon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

I don't know for sure but, was wondering the same thing. I live in the middle of a 100 acre field and, the mice are going nuts again. I set traps out the other night and caught 15 in 40 minutes. It slowed them down a little (no longer enough players left for their nightly miniature football games) so I let them regroup to have another go at them later.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby DragonPete » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Gormagon wrote:I don't know for sure but, was wondering the same thing. I live in the middle of a 100 acre field and, the mice are going nuts again. I set traps out the other night and caught 15 in 40 minutes. It slowed them down a little (no longer enough players left for their nightly miniature football games) so I let them regroup to have another go at them later.

Lol! I used to live in a similar place, had 3 cats and a dog that used to catch them. Especially when they harvested the fields! 😲 Soybeans I think.
I live on about a 2 acre pond. Have issues with spiders, ants, fleas, wasps, occassional roaches. And all sorts of creepy crawlies. 😆 I've found conflicting reports as far as reptiles go, being affected by the pest 'repeller' . But it seems the waves can't go thru walls or other solid objects. I'm thinking putting a couple on my sun porch because it's not "tight'. Small cracks and stuff where they can get in. 😠
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:26 am

DragonPete wrote:Wondering if anyone has used the plug in pest controllers that emit a frequency that makes pests leave? It's that time of year when the flying and crawling critters come out and was considering buying some but didn't know if it would have an adverse effect on my Petey. 😊
Thanks!
-Dee

IMO/E, it's a moot point. Personally, I wouldn't waste any more :oops: money on those things--IME, they don't work.

But don't take my word for it....

Sean Woods, owner of mousetrapmonday.com--and a similarly titled YT channel--has been testing these contraptions for a couple of years (at least). AFAIK, he hasn't seen/found/tested one yet that works.

Proof That Ultrasonic Pest Repellers Are A Scam: Class Action Lawsuit For Fraud. Mousetrap Monday.

Ultrasonic Pest Repellers: Solution or Scam?
Ultrasonic pest repellers are electronic devices that emit high-frequency sounds designed to repel, injure or kill household pests, such as rodents and insects. Whether they're actually effective at doing so has been disputed by testing labs and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Ultrasonic Bedbug Devices Debunked as Useless

See Also: debunking ultrasonic pest repellers
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 am

IMO, if the bugs already could stand being in the house with all our bickering and complaining, they can survive some white noise LOL :mrgreen:

The only thing I've found that keeps bugs (mainly ants and spiders is what I deal with here) is spraying this cheap perimeter defense spray that I picked up 3 years ago for 15 bucks. I spray the bottom inch all around the outside of my house, paying more attention to the areas where I see the ants making their way in. I only need to do this twice a year and once I do, no more ants make it in, so I assume no more spiders do either.

What type of bugs are you trying to keep out specifically? Or is there just a smorgasbord of them.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:57 am

Claudiusx wrote:The only thing I've found that keeps bugs (mainly ants and spiders is what I deal with here) is spraying this cheap perimeter defense spray that I picked up 3 years ago for 15 bucks.

I have something similar; it's called Comet Cleanser. Most insects/spiders won't cross it--it messes up their pheromone trails--and if they do, tracking it back to the nest poisons any that make contact.

It's obviously not pet-safe, so we generally use it on window sills under where the window is when it's closed. Our pets don't go there.

For other areas/pests, try: natural pest repellents (using common sense for pets). :wink:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:54 am

Well DANG. 😵 Was hoping they worked. If they did as claimed, would keep the crawlies from getting on the sun porch or in the house.
I was looking for something that would just keep them away as opposed to poisoning. BUT ya do whatcha gotta do. 😏
I have mostly spiders and/or ants. 😳 Last year I used a sevin dust product around my door frames and emptied all my pantry cabinets, sprinkled around all the edges where side meets bottom, etc and then brushed it into all the cracks. I washed everything but it was still in the cracks. Had a major ant infestation last year. Haven't seen one in the house since. Did the same thing with all my lower door frames. Get into the cracks then wash away the excess. I'll prob start there.👍
I have Frontline drops coming for the cats. Just put new flea collars on them. One of the windows on the sun porch is where stray cats can go nose to nose with mine thru the screen. 😮 Now mine have fleas! 😠 Haven't bought a flea product for my cats for over 12 years, they don't go outside. But the kittens (born under my front porch) want to socialize with my cats inside. 😐 Will end up putting drops on them as a prevention but it won't be Frontline! Lol! Too expensive. 💰
Thanks for the feedback y'all!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:30 am

Vinegar will repel ants & spiders; dish detergent also works against ants.
How to Kill Ants without Pesticides
natural spider repellents

I've never tried repelling spiders. Around here, a spider seen is a dead spider. :!:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Gormagon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:41 pm

For the creepy crawler thingies you can use diatometric earth a powder used in diatom filters for aquariums and fire extinguishers. It is not harmful to anything other than segmented creatures like arachnids and insects. It gets in their joints and breaks them apart, killing them.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Gormagon wrote:For the creepy crawler thingies you can use diatometric earth a powder used in diatom filters for aquariums and fire extinguishers. It is not harmful to anything other than segmented creatures like arachnids and insects. It gets in their joints and breaks them apart, killing them.

It is a bad inhalation hazard though because of how fine the dust is. Used to have to work with it at work.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:30 pm

Gormagon wrote:For the creepy crawler thingies you can use diatometric earth

Yes, diatomaceous earth is listed in both of the links I mentioned above, along with other less inhalation hazard options. :wink:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby DragonPete » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:57 am

Here's a question. Are fleas segmented? Yes I could Google it. Lol! 😆
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CarolynKing » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:42 am

I think these microwaves can't scare your pet. They're too weak for him. To tell the truth, they can't even really scare off rodents, because they are no longer afraid of anything, they have become very arrogant. When I got bats in my garage, I also tried many ways to chase them away, even microwaves. Of course, nothing helped. Then, on the advice of friends, I turned to professionals who are engaged in the removal of bats and not only. They made sure they didn't show up again while they were gone.
Last edited by CarolynKing on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynKing
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:23 am

CHOICE regularly test these gismos, never find any that even annoy the target insects or rodents.

Don't waste your money.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Shaun78 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

I can say the rodent ones are absolutely garbage. My girlfriend's house had a bad rodent infestation due to near by construction and these things did nothing but drive money out of my wallet yet the rodents remained. I highly doubt the insect ones are any more effective.
Shaun78
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion