Heat fixture issues

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Heat fixture issues

Postby RandomLizardOwner » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I decided to upgrade my beardies heat lamp recently as his other one wasn’t emitting enough heat. I bought the eco terra 150w ceramic heat emitter (moving it up from the 100w) however I never noticed that apparently using a metal fixture can be a fire hazard and I should be using a wire one? I never ran into an issue with the 100w one with the fixture the metal barely got hot I don’t believe it says anything about it on the that bulb either (it’s a zoo med one and it says it goes to 150) but Now I’m worried with the stronger watt I could end up busting something and put my beardie in danger
Should I play it safe and buy the wire one and is there any other fixtures I could get easily without having to order something in?
RandomLizardOwner
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Heat fixture issues

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:25 pm

I'm not sure what you are referring to by a wire fixture, but any metal fixture with a ceramic socket (as opposed to a plastic socket) should be able to handle a CHE as long as the fixture is rated for the wattage.

A 150w CHE gets hot, their is no getting around that.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Re: Heat fixture issues

Postby RandomLizardOwner » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:30 pm

It does have a ceramic socket I’ll give it a try and just keep a close eye on it just to make sure. Heating always has confused me no matter how much I look into it haha thanks for your help!
RandomLizardOwner
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures