Help me. My dragon hates me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsSarahBitchs

But he loves my husband
My male bearded dragon hates me. We won't climb on me won't eat anything I give him hates when I touch him. But when I call my husband in he is a completely different dragon . He climbs right on his hand, licks him eat from his hand. He is an ******** to me but acts cool as heck with my dude. If I put something in the tank he avoids it. if my dude takes the same thing out and he puts it back in oh well its his favorite food now. Wtf? Its my dragon I take care of him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They do have unique personalities so this isn't unheard of. That's not to say you can't win him over, but it may take some time. I'd try going with the treat route. Have a nice silk worm or some black soldier fly larvae or a hornworm on hand. Take him out and then hold the treat out and make him come to you for it once you have his attention. Hand feeding and getting him to associate you with a treat may help. It may also work to take him out around bedtime when he's getting sleepy and hold him. Just let him fall asleep on you and eventually that may help him realize that you're safe too.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
ItsSarahBitchs":1csumw2a said:
But he loves my husband
My male bearded dragon hates me. We won't climb on me won't eat anything I give him hates when I touch him. But when I call my husband in he is a completely different dragon . He climbs right on his hand, licks him eat from his hand. He is an ***** hole to me but acts cool as heck with my dude. If I put something in the tank he avoids it. if my dude takes the same thing out and he puts it back in oh well its his favorite food now. Wtf? Its my dragon I take care of him.

CooperDragon gave some excellent advice. I'd like to build on that... do you use any sort of scented personal care products, like hand lotion or perfume? That might be a reason your dragon "hates" you, though I wouldn't say he HATES you any more than I'd say he LOVES your husband - I don't think beardies have that strong of emotional responses. He's simply formed a preference for your husband. There can be plenty of logical explanations for this. Are your hands cooler than your husband's hands? My husband is a positive hot water heater, and Figment really appreciates his higher overall body temperature.

You didn't mention how old your dragon is, either, or when you got him... is this behavior new, or has it been going on for some time? Are you responsible for anything your dragon sees as unpleasant? My Figment does NOT like baths, for instance. And he's not keen on getting his nails cut, either. If your dragon has dislikes, farm those chores out to your hubby for a bit!

That being said, you can DEFINITELY win this dragon over by being the Bringer of Good Things, like CooperDragon said. It may just take time.

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
Oh man, this sounds so familiar.

I found this bearded dragon and saved his butt from being smooshed by some cars he was trying to fight.

He absolutely hates me. He puffs up at me and takes on a defensive posture showing me how spikey he is and sometimes how loud he can hiss too and this seriously just gets him baby-talked and some pets because if he was actually an attack beardie he would have bitten me by now.

He won’t take food from me unless it is a worm.

But my daughter? He loves her. He wants to go to her and he will eat all of the food from her little hands.

It is kind of cute.

It is also frustrating.

My last dragon was my buddy. This guy hates my guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom