Is my beardie dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":11wssj09 said:
Hello,

I am sorry he had a rough time with his food & fluids. The Carnivore care will be ok, no
problem. Just be sure to mix it to a good consistency, to where it isn't too thick. You can
get some sweet potato baby food or squash baby food to mix in with it to be more palatable
for him.
Is his beard still dark? I hope he is feeling better. Be sure to keep him a little warmer over
the night, around 75-80 to help boost his system right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Good morning,

His beard is still dark and his eyes are still closed and oozy. He seems to be propping himself up a bit more instead of lying flat. This morning, there was a pretty watery almost translucent/yellowish "stool" in his enclosure, although it looked to be primarily urate. This didn't really surprise me though, as he had a fluid injection yesterday. I kept his heat lamp on overnight to try and keep his body temp up, and for the first time since looking ill, he's stayed on the warm side of his enclosure instead of trying to drag himself to the cool spot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little Kyro, he's having a rough time. It's good that' he's drinking some and getting hydration which is important. Sometimes they do it too fast like that and start choking so it's hard to be careful about that. Overnight heat is fine if you have a ceramic heater [ CHE ] that doesn't produce light but don't use his heat bulb, the bright light is on will disturb sleep and can be too hot.

hayley0501

Original Poster
AHBD":2s91q9pm said:
Poor little Kyro, he's having a rough time. It's good that' he's drinking some and getting hydration which is important. Sometimes they do it too fast like that and start choking so it's hard to be careful about that. Overnight heat is fine if you have a ceramic heater [ CHE ] that doesn't produce light but don't use his heat bulb, the bright light is on will disturb sleep and can be too hot.

In your experience, do beardies with these symptoms typically recover? Black beard, no appetite, sunken eyes... I'm trying everything I can to help him, but I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged by a lot of the posts I've seen on this site about dragons in similar conditions.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tbh many times no but no one can know for sure in each case, especially with no diagnostics of his condition. I wish I could help and I hate to know that an owner is suffering while their dragon is ill with no real answers. Still, no way to tell yet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is feeling a bit better today. Have you been able to get any food or fluids into him
today?
Definitely try to keep him a bit warmer overnight if you can. Has he opened his eyes at all
all day, or not? It is good that he has tried to sit up a little bit though. Poor guy, let us know
how he is doing.

Tracie

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":ib8drd7e said:
Hello,

I hope he is feeling a bit better today. Have you been able to get any food or fluids into him
today?
Definitely try to keep him a bit warmer overnight if you can. Has he opened his eyes at all
all day, or not? It is good that he has tried to sit up a little bit though. Poor guy, let us know
how he is doing.

Tracie

this morning I was able to feed him only about 1.5 of the 4mL he's supposed to eat in the morning-- he was really fighting me on it, thrashing and running away (which is the most energy I've seen from him all day). His beard's still black but his eyes open occasionally, although for the majority of the time he's sleeping. His stomach has been pretty bloated today and I'm worried about overfeeding him and causing him more discomfort. Last night he pooped but it was very small and the food looked practically undigested. If there hadn't been urate along with it I would've thought he'd thrown up.
109221-9676029863.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, his system seems to be upset for some reason. Do you have any type
of probiotics to give to him, such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz?
It sounds like he is not digesting properly.
You are sure that he is male & not female with eggs?
For now, keep him around 75-80 in his tank overnight, to help boost his immune system
since he isn't feeling well.
I know it's difficult since you have not had him for very long at all!
Can you think of anything toxic he could have ingested possibly or come into contact with?

Tracie

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":27tk9ksj said:
Hello,

Goodness, his system seems to be upset for some reason. Do you have any type
of probiotics to give to him, such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz?
It sounds like he is not digesting properly.
You are sure that he is male & not female with eggs?
For now, keep him around 75-80 in his tank overnight, to help boost his immune system
since he isn't feeling well.
I know it's difficult since you have not had him for very long at all!
Can you think of anything toxic he could have ingested possibly or come into contact with?

Tracie

I don't have any non-dairy probiotic on hand but maybe I could buy something...
I'm fairly positive that he's male. He has visible femoral pores, and his previous owner never mentioned him laying eggs or anything like that. I have no clue what he could've eaten or contacted. According to the previous owner, he hadn't eaten for about two weeks before he gave him to me (I only found this out a day ago), so even if he had ingested something toxic, it would've happened before I even had him. He hasn't eaten a thing since he's been with me, and any time he's out of the tank, I keep a very close eye on him. It is kinda difficult... I never would've guessed when I agreed to take him in that it would end up causing me so much emotional (and financial) distress!!

I gave him a bath this morning and he wasn't really holding himself up well in it, but his condition is pretty much consistent with what it's been the past few days: black beard, sunken eyes, paling color. He's still trying to bask and still finds sudden bursts of energy to fight me when I'm trying to feed him. I'm wondering if I should stop trying since he hasn't passed anything.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry, he definitely had something going on before you got him, that they were unaware
of. Are you going to get him back to vet, or not? I know that is a hard call since they really did
not do much for you.
Have you tried any other slurries/food for him other than the hills diet you were given? A lot of
them tend to like baby foods so you could try the chicken or turkey baby food mixed with squash
& or sweet potato baby food. He would probably like that. I am wondering if he could be having
some renal issues. Try getting some black or tart cherry juice extract to give to him. You can
give .5ml to 1ml daily, with water or given straight.
If you feel he is still bloated, then it is possible he could be impacted. Do you know whether or
not he was on sand or loose substrate previously?

Tracie

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":e7eyse5n said:
Hello,

I am sorry, he definitely had something going on before you got him, that they were unaware
of. Are you going to get him back to vet, or not? I know that is a hard call since they really did
not do much for you.
Have you tried any other slurries/food for him other than the hills diet you were given? A lot of
them tend to like baby foods so you could try the chicken or turkey baby food mixed with squash
& or sweet potato baby food. He would probably like that. I am wondering if he could be having
some renal issues. Try getting some black or tart cherry juice extract to give to him. You can
If you feel he is still bloated, then it is possible he could be impacted. Do you know whether or

Tracie
Good morning!

I have another vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning which I'm not exactly looking forward to, considering they weren't much help last time and his condition is pretty much the same now, aside from his eyes opening up. I have only fed him what the vet prescribed, but I didn't yesterday because I felt like I was really making him uncomfortable. Still hasn't pooped. I'll pick up some baby food/cherry juice from the store today or tomorrow. I definitely considered impaction, but I'm almost positive that he was living in a tank lined with paper towels before I got him (that was how it was set up when I received him). Hopefully tomorrow they're able to draw blood so we can get some answers
109221-4021903193.jpg
109221-7121365545.jpg

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":1yjzk26q said:
Hello,

not do much for you.

Tracie

Okay, while I was sitting outside with him just now, he pooped! A LOT. lol

It doesn't look quite right but honestly I'm just relieved that he was able to pass anything at all. I picked it up because I don't know if the vet would be able to give me a better diagnosis with a stool sample. I'm also gonna post a pic of it in case there are any indications of anything just based on the way it looks. Jeez, I never thought I'd be so pet obsessed that I would post pictures of a literal puddle of lizard poop online, but here I am! I figured its nothing you guys haven't seen before.
109221-7283523259.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that he was able to pass something. The urate looks discolored, but I don't see blue tint (blue tint can indicate kidney problems). I would try the baby food as suggested (squash, green bean, and sweet potato have worked well for me in the past) and drip plenty of water on his nose for him to lick up. Hopefully he will start feeling better and less distressed soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, he is looking better, his beard isn't quite as dark. Maybe he is feeling a little bit
better?
The stool looks normal really. The urate is a bit chalky looking but overall not bad. As
Cooper suggested, try the baby foods, they usually do like the taste. The vet should be
able to get a fecal test out of that! Just be sure it is in a baggie, in the fridge.
It looks like he enjoyed being out doors! Let us know how the vet visit goes & if you can
get a copy of the blood test if they do one.

Tracie

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":2y01rku5 said:
Hello,

Oh wow, he is looking better, his beard isn't quite as dark. Maybe he is feeling a little bit
better?
The stool looks normal really. The urate is a bit chalky looking but overall not bad. As
Cooper suggested, try the baby foods, they usually do like the taste. The vet should be
able to get a fecal test out of that! Just be sure it is in a baggie, in the fridge.
It looks like he enjoyed being out doors! Let us know how the vet visit goes & if you can
get a copy of the blood test if they do one.

Tracie
Hello,

Went to the vet today and he told me that Kyro has gained a bit of weight over the past week (15 grams) which he was really happy about!! The results of his stool sample aren't in yet, but he's already looking better. And look! No more black beard :) I don't know for sure if we're out of the woods yet but I'm feeling optimistic... and I'm so thankful for the help of everyone on this forum.
109221-5762367402.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really great news, he looks quite a bit better now! The fact his beard isn't black
anymore is a good indicator he isn't in distress like he was. Did the vet feel he was really
dehydrated, or possibly developing gout, or something else?
I hope Kyro is going to continue to improve like this, for you. Let us know what the fecal
test results are also, when you get them in.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom