Potential Health Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamE

I am new to owning beardies and got mine about 6 weeks ago. He had been growing and everything had been fine so far. He did start shedding recently, so I added moisture in his tank more and gave hime a bath last night with shed-ez. When I was gently rubbing some of the skin that never seemed to fall off in the last couple weeks, I noticed one side of his jaw looks swollen, doesn't have the same shape as when I got him, and had some yellow coloring on the side of the jaw and under his neck. I do have an appointment with a reptile vet on Tuesday (since Labor Day is Monday), but thought I would see if anyone know what could be happening in the mean time. Attached are some pictures. The first picture is the healthy looking side. The second and third are different angles from the swollen side. There is shedding skin on that ear, but not in the canal anymore. I did NOT pull or tug any skin at any time. Thanks for any help or insight provided.
109244-5207628584.jpg
109244-9892726894.jpg
109244-9474579794.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Sam, that's a cute little buddy you have there ! That area looks very suspicious, even like possible yellow fungus at this point. One thing to take note of, beardies don't need any help shedding. You don't need extra soaks and store bought products . The only areas that ever might need help is the tail tip or the toes, that's where a bit of retained shed can act like a rubber band and cut off circulation. But the head + body do not need help at all, ever. No rubbing either. Too much paranoia has gotten on the beardie forums dealing with shed as if it's an illness.

As for that area of concern on his neck, get some Lamisil antifungal cream on it and stop the baths because if this is Y.F. bathing can spread it. Hopefully it's just shed flaking away. Keep this thread updated please , hope everything turns out alright !

SamE

Original Poster
Thanks, I tried not to do baths unless it had been nearly a week without any change in shed. I will stop and try some antifungal stuff. Yes, I did find lots of stuff online which lead to paranoia about shedding, and I appreciate the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom