Beardie acting weird/not eating after shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mase415

My little guy just finished a crazy full-body shed, and he began acting really strange and not eating. While began acting weird while he was shedding (which I thought was normal), however it seems he finished shedding about two days ago. Since then, he has barely eaten anything and it seems like he has very little energy.

What concerns me most is since he finished shedding, it seems like his skin is getting wrinkled and his eyes sunken. Also, it looks like the tip of his tail is getting a bit dark.

I should also mention that where I live it has been very hot the past few days, but I have been giving him baths and doing my best to make sure he stays hydrated.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or something I should be worried about? If there is an issue, any suggestions? I attached some pictures below.

109061-4339243667.jpg
109061-5801630346.jpg
109061-3784230612.jpg
109061-772088240.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he drinking from the bath when you bathe him? What are you feeding? His basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons! They are inaccurate for basking temps--- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube?
Karrie

Mase415

Original Poster
KarrieRee":270dpb73 said:
Is he drinking from the bath when you bathe him? What are you feeding? His basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons! They are inaccurate for basking temps--- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube?
Karrie

Thanks for the response Karrie. I feed him crickets, kale, squash, and a few mealworms. His basking temp is usually 100-105, however when I came home from work today it was around 120 (it was in the low 100's outside today). I use digital thermometers.

He usually drinks a bit when I give him a bath, however when I got home I immediately gave him one and he drank much more than usual.

As far as the UVB, I have a flukers tube, not coil.

His food and basking temps have never been an issue, these issues just started as he finished his shed and since its been so hot outside over the past few days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He got too hot- does he have a cool side ? Where was he when you got home? Flukers tube what is the bulb ? A T 5 or a T 8? Look on the bulb is it a T 8? I am not finding a flukers Tube-- if it's a T 8 do you have it inside the tank w/No cover over the bulb it needs to be exposed-
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he does look dehydrated and with excess heat they will lose their appetite. It's really important that you find a way to keep his temp. down, he can easily have a heat stroke. Either set a timer so your heat bulb goes off after 3-4 hours or just keep it off while you're not home. He can really die, it happened earlier this year to a beardie. Good to hear that he's drinking though. :)

Mase415

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lcybtsw said:
He got too hot- does he have a cool side ? Where was he when you got home? Flukers tube what is the bulb ? A T 5 or a T 8? Look on the bulb is it a T 8? I am not finding a flukers Tube-- if it's a T 8 do you have it inside the tank w/No cover over the bulb it needs to be exposed-
Karrie

He does have a cool side, when I got home he was hiding in his cave which is underneath his basking spot.

Regarding the UVB -- I just looked an its a coil. I Know its flukers brand, however I don't know whether its a T-8 or not. It sits on top of his cage.

Mase415

Original Poster
AHBD":5d3yzjs1 said:
Hi there, he does look dehydrated and with excess heat they will lose their appetite. It's really important that you find a way to keep his temp. down, he can easily have a heat stroke. Either set a timer so your heat bulb goes off after 3-4 hours or just keep it off while you're not home. He can really die, it happened earlier this year to a beardie. Good to hear that he's drinking though. :)

Thanks a lot for your response, I think I'm going move his cage to a cooler part of my house for the remainder of summer. I currently use a 100W basking light, but I also have a 75W bulb. Do you suggest switching to the 75W? Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to get rid of the coil - they are inadequate- I will post info on what you need for the UVB- tomorrow-- moving the tank to a cooler room will help+ move the tank first then get a temp w/ the 100 watt if it's too warm try the 75 watt- it will be trial and error w/ bulbs--- but you must replace the UVB
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your tank is a 40 + gallon tank I recommend you getting this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for a back up its equivalent to a T 8
you need to order this bulb a 22" for the fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
You can look in your pet stores but most do not carry the length of the fixture - I would order this right away these people from here are good and fast they ship Fed Ex -- and this fixture sell out all the time
Karrie

Mase415

Original Poster
KarrieRee":36jubke6 said:
If your tank is a 40 + gallon tank I recommend you getting this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for a back up its equivalent to a T 8
you need to order this bulb a 22" for the fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
You can look in your pet stores but most do not carry the length of the fixture - I would order this right away these people from here are good and fast they ship Fed Ex -- and this fixture sell out all the time
Karrie

Thank you, I will look into that.

This morning he seems to be moving around and more alert, however he’s still not interested in his food. It’s been about two days since the last time he ate. How much longer until I should begin getting worried?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are his temps. back to normal , with no heat spikes throughout the day ? If so that's good but it may still be a while since he just recently went through the heat exhaustion. You can try some Repto boost , it's a high nutrition supplement you can get at most pet stores.

Mase415

Original Poster
AHBD":2qf14tcw said:
Are his temps. back to normal , with no heat spikes throughout the day ? If so that's good but it may still be a while since he just recently went through the heat exhaustion. You can try some Repto boost , it's a high nutrition supplement you can get at most pet stores.

He temps are back to normal, it is very hot outside again but I am making sure basking temp stays in the low 100s and the humidity is up. He seems to be doing better today, he has eaten some kale I’ve given him but still won’t touch the crickets or wax worms.

Thanks for suggesting repti boost, My local pet store is out so I ordered some online and it will get here Saturday. Hopefully he’ll start eating again before then

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
To me he looks thin -- how much are you feeding him and is he eating what your feeding besides the issues w/ the crickets and mealworms? I would get him some super worms and some silk worms and some dubia roaches -- mix his diet up a little bit -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Here are some website for worms / dubias
http://www.reptilianarts.com -- nice worms and roaches - you can keep roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium / plastic tote feed dubia food along w/ carrots for hydration / squash - I would start out w/ a cup of silk worms they come w/ food - if he likes them you can order in bulk like 50 they come small when they have them you will need to get chow for them and feed daily and clean containers out daily
http://www.dubiaroaches.com great place for roaches and worms -- horn worms are small that come from here - order small amounts as they grow very fast --
http://www.mulberryfarms.com high on shipping but they are the only place that has butter worms now and those are a good worm - they have nice silk worms as well
www.coastalsilkworms.com they come w/ foood
Try some of those places and see how it goes ---- dubias and silks are great staple feeder
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom