Tail rot home remedy or take to Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetodragon

109043-6871676631.jpg
109043-6882096189.jpg
109043-8476781137.jpg

I have never posted before here, and I’m not sure if I’m adding images correctly. Sorry.

We recently purchased a 4-5 month old bearded dragon. The past week or so, we’ve noticed darkening and stiffening at the very tip of his tail. This morning, it is bent over. I’ve researched on line a bit and see that this may be tail rot.

I’ve spent all morning trying to find a vet that treats reptiles in the St Louis area. If finally found one that can get me in this evening at 6pm. The other couple I found, couldn’t see us for a few days to a week or two.

My question is, I’ve read that treating/soaking the tail with Betadine and water several times a day, and applying an antibiotic works. I am wondering if he needs the tail snipped just above the tiny tip break. Is this something I can do myself, as I am not queasy? I made the vet appointment as I do not want to hurt him. I also don’t want to stress him out by taking him on a long car ride. I’m just hoping it’s not a ridiculous cost, as it’s just on the tiniest tip of his tail. My pics are close ups.

His habitat is correctly set-up and all the recommended lighting and zones. I feed him Dubia roaches and green vegis (well offered anyway). He also has Calcium powder with D3 and multivitamin powder. He is not ill, and also spends a fair amount of time outdoors with my daughter carrying him around.

Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok please do not let your daughter carry him around outside anymore --- she is going to lose him once he is spooked he will be off of her in no time and she will not be able to catch him -- I recommend she leave him in the tank until he is adjusted to his surroundings --- next the tail looks like it got nipped and is dying -- you can do what your doing w/ the betadine soak and let it fall off it looks like its getting ready to - you can also use some raw unpasteurized honey on it for infection - it will kill the infection --- I would continue to treat after that end falls off
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Those methods you mentioned are effective directly after the injury to the tail to prevent the tail from getting infected.

However in this case, it looks like the wound wasnt treated and that allowed a possible infection to start as is evident by the darkening going further up the tail.

At this point the tail does need to be snipped up above where the darkness is just to make sure all the infection is cut out. And then the wound will need to be kept clean to prevent another infection from starting.

I'd strongly suggest a vet for that. They shouldn't charge you too much for the shipping and then any ointment they recommend.

That tip will fall off but there is still necrotic flesh left on the tail that will cause the infection to continue to spread if it isnt cut out.

-Brandon

Cheetodragon

Original Poster
Thank you Brandon & Karrie. I will definitely keep my appointment at the vet today at 6pm. I don’t know Yet how to answer either of you directly, here. Sorry.

I figured he would need to have a vet snip that off. I’ve done a fair amount of research on diet & habitat, but hadn’t heard about the tail rot before and how dangerous it could be. I’d hate to have it progress, like I’ve seen in pics. I’m glad I realized what it was. My daughter is the one who was first worried about it and brought it to my attention.

We are very careful with him outside. We formed a little harness, but need to make a better one. My daughter is 10 years old and is mindful of keeping a hand on him. I also supervise. He really enjoys being outside, and it’s plenty hot here. He also only likes to eat greens outside. He likes a particular clover plant (I’ve kept the weed growing, untreated, just for him) in my flower bed and loves pansy leaves. He won’t eat them if I put them in his habitat, weird.

Thanks again
Cathi

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kathi, I would snip that myself , it would very easily come off with a sterilized pair of sharp scissors with very little effect to the dragon. Babies routinely get their tail bitten + they feel very little to no pain and keep right on moving along, eating, etc. If you'd feel more comfortable with a vet it's your choice, I hope they don't charge a big price, stress the baby and prescribe antibiotics which they wouldn't need in such a tiny snip.

Cheetodragon

Original Poster
Hi, I thought I’d just post a follow up after going to the vet this evening.

Everything went well, except driving through a severe thunderstorm all the way to the vet. He actually didn’t stress at all. He was comfortable just sitting on my daughter, looking out the window. I’m so glad we took him in. The vet seems really good. She only removed the tiny loose piece of tail. She said it is tail rot/infection. She prescribed a drop of oral antibiotic each day, for 8 days. She didn’t want to remove the small damaged upper part yet, as it hopefully should just fall off on it’s own. She stated that removing that part would be painful (need anesthesia) & could cause worse problems, unless of course it doesn’t improve with the antibiotic. I’m supposed to let her know, how it goes. We may go back for a follow up visit, if it doesn’t heal like it should. This was worth the $78 which included the office visit and the bottle of antibiotics. She told me to keep the antibiotic and not throw it out, as we won’t use much of it, and it lasts at least a year.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear that at least the baby was not stressed ! I disagree that it would have been painful to cut up above, beardies feel very little pain in their tail and that would certainly have not needed anesthesia ! Wow, this is the 3rd vet this week that didn't know much about beardies. Just in the past few days wev'e had a vet improperly sex an obvious adult male as a female and scare the owner with " possibility of eggbinding ". Another vet completely missed a very serious glucose spike on the blood test [ posted here ] that can be deadly to the dragon. I truly hope that the tail will be O.K and that the antibiotics don't put him off his food. Keep us updated !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree I would have opted for cutting the tail above the dark/infected area and not needing the antibiotics at all, just general wound care until it heals.

But hopefully this works out well for you too. It can clear up the infection hopefully bit it's a much more drawn out process as opposed to just snipping. Keep us updated on how things go. You'll definitely want to keep an eye on the tail and make sure the infection is not spreading up.

Like AHBD mentioned the antibiotics can affect their appetite so dont be surprised if that happens. Just try to keep him well fed and hydrated :)

What is his name by the way?

Curiously, what antibiotic were you given? Baytril?

-Brandon

Cheetodragon

Original Poster
Our beardie’s name is Cheeto. The vet prescribed a small drop .05 of enrofloxacin once a day. He eats from tongs, so I put the drop of antibiotic on a dubia, which he eats right away. I figure that’s better than trying to force his little mouth open, and this has worked well twice so far.

I’m going to follow the veterinarian’s instructions for now, and see how it goes. Everyone has opinions and great experiences to share here, and that’s awesome. I really appreciate the response, both here and in pm’s.

I will take a close up picture once a day of Cheeto’s tail to be able to monitor improvement or lack of, and update here in a week or so.

Thanks again,
Cathi

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good ! I love the name Cheeto, I saw that was your username and figured that might be it. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Cathi,

Should've been able to deduce cheetos name from your username huh ha?

Ok enrofloxacin is baytril. It's usually ok on their systems so hopefully cheeto doesnt have any side effects like the appetite issue.

Great that he took it so easily, definitely preferred to do it that way as opposed to stressing him out forcing his mouth open.
Just make sure you are actually using 0.05 and not 0.5 of it. It's a common mistake we see here :)

Good idea on the picture. Looking forward to cheeto recovering fully :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom