My Ryoki...I'm afraid he might be bloated. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoki001

I am a newer beardie parent and my baby Ryoki is from PetSmart I've had him since middle July and he's been great with no problems. I'm just very observant about him and noticed that his stomach looked bigger than usual. He's just been switched to a bigger tank and I put calcium sand in it. A thin layer. He still eats well. But hasn't pooped since I put him in it yesterday...Sunday. I'm planning on stopping feeding him in his tank and taking him out to eat his staple food (pinhead crickets) he eats greens every now and then and a piece of fruit every now and then. He gets baths too. I just really overthink things so please you guys can you reassure me ? he is my sweet baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No calci sand --- especially for babies -- please take it out and use paper towels -- your headed for impaction --- hes a baby he will eat it --- please go over your lighting for him --- UVB brand and bulb NO coils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you can post pics https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --
Karrie

Ryoki001

Original Poster
I get the bulbs from pet smart and Petco. He has a night light that simulates the moonlight and a 125 I'd say light bulb but I need to get a better light fixture because even when I put his hammock closer to the light right under it it still doesn't get hot enough around 90 or 100. So a new light fixture is going to be my priority once I get paid monday and when I get home I'll take the sand out and use paper towel. What do you reccomend me using as a substrate when he can still get good traction and footing

Ryoki001

Original Poster
He ate 21 crickets this morning and he pooped twice yesterday evening even though it was not that solid I'm giving him water with a kind of syringe and he kicks it. Also vitamins in a syringe like every other or two days. He eats calci and wax worms and I had ordered him some roaches that should come in the next two days and when I saw he looked a little bit bloated before he pooped twice the next day I took some 100% prune juice and mixed some water in it and he drank some. I know it wasn't the best choice because of the sugar but it did make him go so I'm relieved. Now I will just take out the sand and have no more worries. Just keep making sure he drinks some water. And I need a dome fixture

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No light nites- colored bulbs are harmful to the eyes and disrupt their sleep- you need to get a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105- 110 - you need a digital probe thermometer that is a MUST-- along w/ a UVB or you will have health problems- what size tank is he in? I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector along w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 bulb- if he is in a 40 + gallon tank--- you need this ASAP-- the substrate you can get some NON adhesive textured shelf liner-- from home Depot cut it to the size of your tank - insects can't get underneath- and it's easy to keep clean vinegar and water 50/50 in a spray bottle
Karrie

Ryoki001

Original Poster
I'm really taking in your advice. I need a kind of mentor. Do you mind talking to me of Facebook messenger? I need to measure his tank and I'll let you know that because the person I got it from didn't know how many gallons it was. It was used for fish and was very nasty and I had to clean it good. It's a very good size though I'll do that once I get home. Ummm I'm not exactly sure what kind of light it is. I'm not that familiar with what a t5 bulb is but I'd like to learn. I really want him to grow well and healthy. I spend a ton of money on my little baby and my co workers scold me for taking more care of him than I do myself ? I have a problem I could become really sick or maybe even a fatal problem but I don't worry about it...it is swelling inside of my body. But anyways...I'd really like a way to talk to you easier. I really trust your advice and I'd like to be able to ask you when I have a question. He's my first real pet and I really love him.

Ryoki001

Original Poster
He has a hammock that I can put closer to the light and I need some digital thermometers and a humidity gauge but right now all I have is one on each side that a color shows on what temp it is. But I guess those aren't at accurate?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can ask on the board so if I can't answer you some others on here can - I am going to post some links to show you what you need for the uvb-- in the meantime get the measurements on your tank but I am thinking if it's a 40 + gallon that fixture will be fine-- your basking bulb you can get at Petco or PetSmart an Exo Terra bright white basking bulb start w/ a 100 watt the digital probe can also be bought at Petco or PetSmart -- those you can get fast the UVB might be a little more difficult to get at the petstore as they don't usually carry the length-- I will get that link posted -- no those guages are only giving ambient temps you need the digital one w/ a probe so you can place it on his basking spot for 10 minutes then get the temp
Karrie

Ryoki001

Original Poster
Ahh okay I will make it a priority to get a dome light fixture. One of those bulbs. And temperature gauges.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is the UVB it needs to be the 24" fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html you need a 22" bulb for the fixture ---
this is the basking bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-basking-spot-bulbs.html start w/ a 100 watt petco or petsmart carry these
this is the digital probe thermometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html petco or petsmart carry these
Let me know how it goes and I will help you get these set up - make sure you get a dome that can handle a 150 watt bulb --
Karrie

Ryoki001

Original Poster
Alright I wrote them all down! :) And thank you. So the dome one should go on one end of the tank and the hood fixture should hold the 10.0 bulb and go on the side? Also once I find out how many gallons the tank is I need to order a top so I can sit the dome on top. Usually on the metal mesh looking tops I just sit the light on top of it. Is that the right way? And the dome light adheres the the side of the tank I'm guessing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I need pics of that tank--- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
The basking light goes on top of the screen you said you dont have one then I suggest you get a stand to hang it from like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand-14886.html?cgid=500202
the uvb can go width wise across the tank as long as its 24' inches or less but we need measurements of the tank length width and height----
I dont know where to get a screen from I know they sell them I would need to go back to some of the websites I have seen them need the dimensions of that tank tho first -
it looks like Petco has them but I am thinking you would need to order it -- google screen for bearded dragon enclosures and see what you come up w/
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":1o38orxi said:
No calci sand --- especially for babies -- please take it out and use paper towels -- your headed for impaction --- hes a baby he will eat it --- please go over your lighting for him --- UVB brand and bulb NO coils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you can post pics https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --
Karrie

Actually you should never use calci sand for any age because they flavor it to entice beardies of all ages to eat it. It's sad, like why would people think an animal would benefit from flavored sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom