Is Dracaena Marginata safe to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a red Dracaena Marginata plant. Also called a Dragon Tree. Does anyone know if it's safe for Beardie's? My dragon's enclosure is pretty big and I was thinking of planting it under the grow light on the cool side of the enclosure. Just wanted to see if anyone has any info. or experience before I re-pot and quarantine it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see any info about toxicity to reptiles so it may be safe. The ASPCA lists it as dangerous for dogs and cats though. While their systems aren't the same, I probably wouldn't take the risk without finding some concrete info about it with reptiles or birds (which tend to have similar systems).

zalaman

I would say avoid, And agree with cooperdragon, i asked my sister who works in horticulture, she is not sure with bearded dragons but said not too because it is toxic and not worth the risk,

Toxicity of Dracaena Marginata. Beautiful as it is, the plant is also poisonous. While it's not harmful to humans, the leaves are extremely toxic to cats and dogs. Cats, in particular, seem fond of chewing on the leaves, which contain toxic alkyds.

timberwolf

Original Poster
I have decided to leave it out. Not worth the risk. I appreciate the information, thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom