Losing weight

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:07 pm

So, my girl is in what I assume is a light brumation phase. She's been dozing in her hide since late Sunday but she's been awake for the most part. But she hasn't come out to eat either. I made her a nice big salad this morning and came home to it untouched. I reached in to check on her and lightly stroke her head, and her fat pads where super squishy, like they were deflating. I know it's common for them to lose weight when they're brumating (obviously, if they're not eating), but how much is too much? When should I start to worry?
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Losing weight

Postby SavannahDragons » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 pm

It's normal for them to not eat and lose weight during brumation, but I won't pretend to be an expert or anything... wait for someone with more experience to add their input before doing anything.
Lizzie: Bearded Dragon, Male, 3 years old
Jaxie: Bearded Dragon: Female, 3 years old
Luke: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Reia: Bearded Dragon, Female, 1 1/2 years old
Anakin: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Lili Ann: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
Paxy: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
SavannahDragons
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 am

You need to get her out and weigh her to find out how much weight she is losing--- you need to hydrate her either by bathing if she will drink water in the bath or drop water on her nose or by syringe -- if you give by syringe do it very slow---------- you dont want her to aspirate - give it to her slowly and let her swallow it before you give more--- what are you using for lighting in the tank ? UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank is it and how old is it??????????? NO coils they are inadaquate!! Basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
If you need a vet here is a website to find one in your area www.arav.org
How old is the dragon? Yes they do lose weight when in brumation but a little not a lot -- that is normal but if she is losing a lot something else is going on
When was the last time she ate?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11340
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Losing weight

Postby AHBD » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:44 am

Keep in mind that you may be over thinking rather than really feeling a difference when you touch her head. Can you post a few pics of her ? Adult healthy dragons don't lose weight in a week usually , or not to the extent that it would affect the pads on the head.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 25535
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:48 am

Hey guys, I kinda coaxed her out of her hide last night by leaving the lid lifted. The light and the sight of her food eventually lured her out and she ate a little off her salad and the two superworms I offered her. Also, Karrie, I was well aware of the dropper method of giving them water and did so. She drank a little. She usually only drinks in the bath though so she'll get one either tonight when I get home from work or tomorrow. She slept under her heat emitter like normal and today, since I was out of superworms I gave her some moist food and she ate a bit more of her salad. She seems to be back to normal for now but if she goes back into her hide again I'll make sure I weigh her. Like AHBD said, I'm probably overthinking things because I am a bit paranoid when it comes to my beloved pets. They literally mean everything to me.
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 am

Ok are you feeding any staple feeders like crickets dubia or silk worms?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11340
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:26 am

KarrieRee wrote:Ok are you feeding any staple feeders like crickets dubia or silk worms?
Karrie

She wont eat live crickets and Dubias and Silkworms are stupid expensive unless you can breed them, which I cant right now because of my living situation. I've done frozen-thawed crickets before and she seems to take them just fine.
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Losing weight

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 am

www.westcoastsilkworms.com has smalls for $8.89 / 25- they ship w/ food -
www.reptilianarts.com also has reasonable silk and roaches - their silks the small do not come w/ food - I just posted on the feeders board this morning websites and prices
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11340
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Losing weight

Postby SavannahDragons » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:40 am

I would try to get a better staple than frozen-thawed crickets. Dubia roaches and silkworms are a bit expensive, yes, but isn't it worth it to have really healthy pets? It's not ridiculously hard to breed dubia roaches, as I am doing it myself right now. You simply need to buy either a starter colony, some adult males and females, or a mix of regular feeder dubia roaches if you can wait longer. Then, keep the temperature right, and the humidity right.
Lizzie: Bearded Dragon, Male, 3 years old
Jaxie: Bearded Dragon: Female, 3 years old
Luke: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Reia: Bearded Dragon, Female, 1 1/2 years old
Anakin: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Lili Ann: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
Paxy: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
SavannahDragons
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby AHBD » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 am

Everything sounds like normal behavior so far. Can you post a pic of her head from the side and also a full body shot ? And yeah, it's easy to worry because these derps don't do everything according to OUR specifications. :lol:
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 25535
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 am

SavannahDragons wrote:I would try to get a better staple than frozen-thawed crickets. Dubia roaches and silkworms are a bit expensive, yes, but isn't it worth it to have really healthy pets? It's not ridiculously hard to breed dubia roaches, as I am doing it myself right now. You simply need to buy either a starter colony, some adult males and females, or a mix of regular feeder dubia roaches if you can wait longer. Then, keep the temperature right, and the humidity right.

As I already stated, I'm not in a situation where I can breed them right now. Believe me, I've done my research and I fully intend on breeding better feeders when my boyfriend and I get our own place, but right now I'm lucky to even be able to keep my Beardie. I'm doing the best I can for her given circumstances, so dont try to belittle me please.
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 am

AHBD wrote:Everything sounds like normal behavior so far. Can you post a pic of her head from the side and also a full body shot ? And yeah, it's easy to worry because these derps don't do everything according to OUR specifications. :lol:

They really are little sh*ts sometimes, aren't they? I'll take some pictures when I get home from work, provided she's still out and about. She was on her basking hammock when I left so hopefully she'll be good. Lol
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby SarahGekkou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Here are some pictures. She's up on her tree so I apologize if they're not the best pictures, but there's a full-body and then a closer shot of her head
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
SarahGekkou
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Losing weight

Postby SavannahDragons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pm

SarahGekkou wrote:
SavannahDragons wrote:I would try to get a better staple than frozen-thawed crickets. Dubia roaches and silkworms are a bit expensive, yes, but isn't it worth it to have really healthy pets? It's not ridiculously hard to breed dubia roaches, as I am doing it myself right now. You simply need to buy either a starter colony, some adult males and females, or a mix of regular feeder dubia roaches if you can wait longer. Then, keep the temperature right, and the humidity right.

As I already stated, I'm not in a situation where I can breed them right now. Believe me, I've done my research and I fully intend on breeding better feeders when my boyfriend and I get our own place, but right now I'm lucky to even be able to keep my Beardie. I'm doing the best I can for her given circumstances, so dont try to belittle me please.


I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was belittling you; I assure you I wasn't. Believe me, I have been in your situation before. I'm just trying to help your little beards. :D If it's something you can do without much trouble, though, I would try to get her some live insects. Maybe not only live, if that's not something you can do, but some. She looks really healthy; like my own Lizzie, except more girlish. :lol:
Lizzie: Bearded Dragon, Male, 3 years old
Jaxie: Bearded Dragon: Female, 3 years old
Luke: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Reia: Bearded Dragon, Female, 1 1/2 years old
Anakin: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Lili Ann: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
Paxy: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
SavannahDragons
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]