Heavy breathing after bath

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Heavy breathing after bath

Postby Anonydragoj » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:12 am

My female bearded dragon is currently having a full head shed, she's 2 years old.
I gave her an incredibly shallow bath because she normally hates baths and today she kept sticking her head under the water while trying to scratch her head repeated times trying to get her shed off and as soon as I took her out she started breathing heavily a few times with her mouth open, as if she was gagging. Could she have accidentally inhaled too much water?? And if so what is the best thing I should/can do???
I've had bearded dragons for awhile but I haven't experienced this ever, I just hope she hasn't inhaled too much :(
Anonydragoj
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Heavy breathing after bath

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:17 am

Sounds like she aspirated some water -- watch for a black beard - get her at a angle w/ her head downward so if she has it will drain out of her mouth -- put her at a incline and get her under her basking lamp -- watch her behavior -- I would spray her head the next and take a baby tooth brush and brush her head gently to loosen the shed
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Anonydragoj » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:13 am

KarrieRee wrote:Sounds like she aspirated some water -- watch for a black beard - get her at a angle w/ her head downward so if she has it will drain out of her mouth -- put her at a incline and get her under her basking lamp -- watch her behavior -- I would spray her head the next and take a baby tooth brush and brush her head gently to loosen the shed
Karrie

Ahhh okay thank you!!
Anonydragoj
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am

Why did you bath him ?

Keep him warm overnight and if possible after he goes to sleep position him so his bottom is higher than his nose , this way
the inclined position will help any aspirated water drain out while he's asleep
the warmth will help dry his lungs out .

Stay on top of this as they can very quickly develop a life threatening respiratory infection in situations like this.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 am

Moved by Moderator from General to Health
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health