Not interested in Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get him outside for some good UVB -- if he is a baby I would suggest a plastic tote NO Glass -- babies tend to jump and think they can fly so I would have him sit on you but I dont want you to lose him -- so w/ that being said get him outside place him in some direct sun/ partial shade for 15 minutes NO LONGER you do not want to burn him up and watch him --- you can do this several times per day --- 15 minutes equals out to about 4 hrs of UVB -- see if he will start eating after that - you can do this till his UVB comes in --- did you get your basking temps straightend out? You can get some wax worms but feed those just like the rest 1-3 -- maybe a couple of meal worms 1-2 -- the exoskeleton on them is harsh and I dont want him impacted from eating too many --
Let me know how it goes
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
We have the Thrive tank and had to go to a 150 watt bulb to get through that thick screen.
But that was because we needed to get it to about 105 for a baby. Now she's 7 months and has a strong preference for 95, which was about the warmest we could get the top of the 'mountain'.
So you said you got this tank about a month ago...what was he in before and with what lighting?

Fayster

Original Poster
It came with a 100 watt bulb. We just purchased 150 watt yesterday. I am thinking with the AC in the room it probably plays a role too getting the heat up. We are trying the 150 today and see what happens.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Yes I don't think the company tested those screens with 100 watts. At least it comes with the bigger sizes dome.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I found this site for silk worms and horn worms and dubias etc -- I have ordered off of them and wanted to pass it on - they are reasonable on shipping -- www.hornworms.com I did get a email saying they are slow w/ the super worms and have requested they send the rest of my order w/ out them
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
Thank s Karrie..great site..I am about to order silkworms..how many should we be giving in a day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They are slow to send out -- backed up w/ orders I guess --- I would feed him 3-4 depending on how big the worm is --- I would feed him another staple besides the silk if they are small --- I have also recently found another site for silks and I got that order in 2-3 days they send Fed Ex -- they also send w/ food
www.xyzreptiles.com
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
Just an update..Basil was doing better, eating some silkworms, wax worms and phoenix worms..even some dubia roaches...unfortunately he has not been interested in any greens at all..only if we force him..he'll open his mouth and eat a little bit. These last two days it feels as though he is not interested so much at the worms or roaches anymore. He is active, pooping a couple of times this week already. Not sure what is going on. Could he simply not be hungry?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The lighting you got -- a T 5 UVB? Is it in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor--? And he's 7 months old? I haft to rule lighting out basking temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
108809-9383933716.jpg

Here is an image of his terrarium. He have measured with heat gun the temps. The basking side is between 100 and 105 and the cooler side 80 by the hammock.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to get your T 5 in the tank - he's not getting enough UVB that screen is blocking 30% of the rays-- you need a distance of 12-15 inches directly under the basking decor-- your gonna haft to do some rearranging after you get the fixture in the tank--- you can use 3 M Velcro command fasteners--long plastic zip ties picture wire hangers-fishing line-potted plant wire hangers-shoe laces but get it in the tank--- he won't eat if he can't absorb his calcium.
Karrie

Fayster

Original Poster
Ok..got it..does the same go for the basking lamp? You mentioned that the T5..it needs to be over where they bask..I am assuming over their hide or in the general area would be ok..because there is the other lamp directly on top of the hide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom