A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":5xrlw2kk said:
DragonPete":5xrlw2kk said:
Lol! Petey got me yesterday. He didn't want to give my finger back! Petey! Let go! ?
Accidental. He dropped his fruit I was feeding and snapped onto my finger trying to catch it. ?
Didn't break the skin, surprisingly. ?
-Dee

CandyCane is good about avoiding fingers. Wilbur just chomps down and keeps going until he gets to his bug or lettuce. We only use tongs with him now lol.

In other news, Wilbur seems to be on a hunger strike? He doesn’t have the appetite he usually has. He will eat a few bugs throughout the day, and almost finished his salad today, but seemed to only want the salad on the cool side of the enclosure? I gave him some fresh greens and he came right to them this evening too. Yesterday was the same, but not as much salad. Any ideas on what’s going on? He’s not lethargic, but I’m wondering if their appetites are starting to slow down as they aren’t pooping as often now either. Every other day it seems.
That's odd. ? Petey's appetite hasn't been as good last couple days, he also went a couple days without a poo. Both are rare for him. Today he seems back to normal. He spent all day, day before yesterday, under his hammock and didn't eat. Acted like he might want to 'nap' but we went thru the brumation thing a few months ago. Yesterday I took him out from under, put him in his basking spot and he ate after he warmed up good. Then poo'd this morning. No clue. Talked with someone whose Dragon was also off her food for the same couple days. Time of year? Barometric pressure? Storms for days. Wonder if the weather plays any part in it.
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am thinking as well blaze doing same-- spent a day and a half in his hide- didn't eat much pooped yesterday but I had to pull him out could be weather- he's basking this morning and eating but not like normal
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":1mqz9sdy said:
I am thinking as well blaze doing same-- spent a day and a half in his hide- didn't eat much pooped yesterday but I had to pull him out could be weather- he's basking this morning and eating but not like normal
Karrie
That's interesting. ? It's rained all week here in NC and had a few bad storms. Petey's active today, first sunshine we've seen in a week. ? I reset his lights timer. Thought it might need to be a little closer to nature. We lost power night before last so had to reset anyway. ? He's been on 7am/7pm. Now it's 6am/8pm. Longer summer days coming quickly.
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How funny all the beardies being grumpy. I think a lot of his appetite reduction was due to a good beard shed that he finally got off yesterday. He ate a good bit of bugs and greens this am, but I am noticing a tapering off of appetite in general. They still eat well just not like growing pigs like they had been lol.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I finally got around to putting up their bridges. They both seem to like them a lot so far. Didn't mind me being in their enclosures much either, moving stuff around. The tents are on their way too so those won't be far behind!

98551342_10104665340422670_7211975711823757312_o.jpg

100105437_10104665340482550_3411023100467216384_o.jpg

100366288_10104665340522470_2093557043653771264_o.jpg

100047249_10104665340562390_6147849632404733952_o.jpg

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":2kytun9z said:
I've looked at those bridges! Can't tell by the pic, how do you have them attached?

I have a half log that they used to be able to hide in standing upright and screwed into the back wall, then a screw at the top of the log to loop the cord around. On the side wall there are three screws, one for the cord loop and two more to keep it from swaying too much. Before I had the other two screws it had swayed a little too much and tilted and Wilbur slid off lol. Mine are from Etsy reptilesofeden I think. Really nicely made and they have different lengths and widths. I ordered the 6 inch wide 20 inch long ones.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":12qwyrye said:
Ahh, the advantage of non glass tanks. Mine would have to be command hooks I suppose.

They actually came with suction cups to attach them to glass tanks! I just couldn't use them :D

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's been a while since I've updated! The dragons are doing really well. Wilbur is huge. Seriously huge. CandyCane had gotten chunky with all the food I'd been feeding them so I cut back on her bugs and she's doing well. She's highlighter orange, it is insane! And she's feisty as hell. Their enclosures are officially finished. They have their logs, their bridge, their hammock, and their tent with their turf.
109289881_10104795051560510_5340120395437257643_n.jpg

Wilbur this morning straddling the log, not a care in the world.
109121229_10104795051725180_1491733637120040193_n.jpg

CandyCane in the tub last week, trying to get her to poop.
109253331_10104795051815000_7500446028940883457_n.jpg

She's outgrown this bed, but she still loves it.
109512734_10104795051670290_8147159260989885687_n.jpg

See?
109230367_10104795051760110_5244405596977668972_n.jpg

She likes having lots of shady spots, and I love her dangling leg!
109290599_10104795051570490_525930588552700115_n.jpg

CandyCane's house!
109189985_10104795051640350_5504473054282986717_n.jpg

Wilbur's house!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They have really grown and are adorable-- have they used the tents yet?
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2vrkm7wg said:
They have really grown and are adorable-- have they used the tents yet?
Karrie

Wilbur like to rest on top of his until it collapses and I have to put it back up lol.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Boy, Wilbur and Candy Cane have sure grown... they're a good looking pair of dragons! How are they doing with being handled... giving lots of joy to your kiddos? Love their enclosures - I can't wait until I can get Figment his new Zen habitat in the fall!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":2pob2dz3 said:
Boy, Wilbur and Candy Cane have sure grown... they're a good looking pair of dragons! How are they doing with being handled... giving lots of joy to your kiddos? Love their enclosures - I can't wait until I can get Figment his new Zen habitat in the fall!

Wilbur is great being handled, super calm and curious. CandyCane is a bit...cranky? Lol. She’s pretty feisty. She won’t bite, but she will hiss and her tolerance for handling is pretty short. She loves to be hand fed though (sometimes prefers it to making the trek to her bowl) and for some reason she tolerates my daughter the most which is great. I’m not sure if it’s because her hands are smaller and she doesn’t look as frightening, but who knows. My daughter has even taken to feeding them most mornings. Bugs, calcium, veggies, and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom