Swollen Beard and Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleesii

I have a one year old male that has been brumating this summer despite having already brumated over the winter for 3 months. He woke up for a couple months but then went in for a second brumation. I have been waking him up weekly for baths and to offer food but he isnt usually interested. Today I woke him up and his beard had some light swelling on the sides (the pouches at bases of the mouth line). I have kept beardies for a while but have never had these issues. Any insight would be welcome. I do plan on bringing him to a vet soon but most reptile vets Ive gone to are not as knowledgeable as I would like so would like to educate myself prior to the visit.

He is in a large wooden enclosure (equivelent to 75 gallon tank). Temps are around 105 in the basking and 85 on the cool side. I feed him greens squash etc and mostly dubia roaches for feeders when hes not brumating (I have my own colony). He has a t5ho uvb bulb spanning 3/4 of the tank. Thanks!

Khaleesii

Original Poster
76767-9489576546.jpg

Its hard to see here and its not terribly swollen but its not normal for him. Unless its just from getting older?? I wouldnt be as concerned if it wasnt coupled with the 2nd brumation. He was very interested in eating insects today though and he is always alert and looks like a healthy weight when I take him out to bathe him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lighting has a lot to do w/ behavior- please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in tank? How old is the UVB? Basking temps and how your taking them? No stickons
Karrie

Khaleesii

Original Poster
The UVB is a T5ho 12% arcadia bulb stretching 3/4 of the tank. Basking spot is around 105 and cool side is around 85. Bulb is about 5-6 months old so will be replacing soon. Here are a couple more pics from today. Seems to be almost the same on both sides though slightly larger on one the side shown.
76767-7504019439.jpg
76767-2430952532.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I want Tracie and ahbd to see it - that bulb has a 1 year expectency
Karrie

Khaleesii

Original Poster
Yeah I tend to switch them out a bit earlier than a year just to be sure they are working well. But it should be good at this stage so I dont think thats the problem. He has been up and eating some more so thats good.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He sure looks sweet! What type of morph is he? He is very beautiful.
So he has brumated a few months over this last winter? Well, this isn't completely
uncommon, but it can be very frustrating when they are up & down. A lot of them do
want to brumate during the spring & summer.
Has he maintained his weight or has he lost weight?
The Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is excellent so I doubt the lighting is going to be an issue.
Post some pictures of his tank too so we can see the lighting placement.
They do develop jowls as they get mature, some have larger ones than others. It is just
the beard growing, or it appears to be just that.
He doesn't seem to be having any trouble chewing does he?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom