Advice for hydrating a sick bearded dragon?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Advice for hydrating a sick bearded dragon?

Postby morganmc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 am

Hello,

My bearded dragon is recovering from aspirating water last night (I've already had a vet visit & posted a thread about this!) but he is still quite dehydrated. He's on Carnivore Care as well as Baytril and Flagyl and I'm looking for advice on how to give him water, as baths are out of the question for right now (not trying to have a repeat of yesterday :? ) Could I give it to him using a plastic syringe? He's not really interested in eating any greens right now - usually, I try to give him water by including iceberg lettuce in his salads. I don't want to introduce any more water into his lungs, so any advice on how to safely keep him hydrated would be fantastic! Thanks in advance :)
morganmc
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Advice for hydrating a sick bearded dragon?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:51 am

You can give by syringe but do it slowly -- little at a time -- let him swallow the water - go in from the side of his mouth and little at a time
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby WinFam01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

So he usually only drinks in the bath?
We taught our girl how to drink from a dropper by very slowly putting one drip at a time on the end of her nose
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

Postby morganmc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm

WinFam01 wrote:So he usually only drinks in the bath?
We taught our girl how to drink from a dropper by very slowly putting one drip at a time on the end of her nose

Not necessarily, while I would say a bulk of his water comes from his greens and direct water drinking is usually from baths, I have given him water like you're describing. I'm just a bit paranoid and wasn't sure if I should do anything differently since he aspirated so recently. I want to make sure I don't make it any worse!
morganmc
Newbie Poster

Postby morganmc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm

KarrieRee wrote:You can give by syringe but do it slowly -- little at a time -- let him swallow the water - go in from the side of his mouth and little at a time
Karrie

Great, will do!
morganmc
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Shaun78 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:52 am

I just went through this myself. Do exactly what Karrie said. My dragon was so dehydrated they didn't think he'd make it. I gave him water through a syringe and after days of doing this (and the critical care food) the little guy pulled through. I also gave him daily baths just to keep his skin hydrated and clean. Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes.
Shaun78
Hatchling Poster

Postby morganmc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Shaun78 wrote:I just went through this myself. Do exactly what Karrie said. My dragon was so dehydrated they didn't think he'd make it. I gave him water through a syringe and after days of doing this (and the critical care food) the little guy pulled through. I also gave him daily baths just to keep his skin hydrated and clean. Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes.

Smokey is already doing much much better! Still not 100%, but he is steadily improving :)
morganmc
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Good to hear keep us posted on how he's doing
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby loljelloclowdz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Put an ice cube in front of them - chances are they’ve never seen an ice cube before, so they might lick it real quick.

It’s not gonna hydrate them very much, but it gets a few million molecules of H2O in.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Hatchling Poster

Postby WinFam01 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:30 am

If you do the ice cube thing, be sure to wet the ice cube first or their tongue might stick to it. 😫
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion