George hasnt moved in two days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuc

Hi!, I hope somebody can help me out! George hasn't been himself lately, hes been inside his hideout for 2 days already. It looks like he has been eating, and ive been giving him his vitamins once a week and vitamin D twice a week. Ive been spraying his veggies and feed him bugs two or three times a week. Phoenix worms and mealworms are some of the bugs I feed him, its rare when I give him mealworms though. He has 2 UVB Reptisun 10.0 bulbs staggered to shine throughout his whole enclosure and a heating lamp with 2 Reptisun UV lights with one currently ON. The probe on his basking spot currently reads 100F but I usually have both on and reads anywhere from 100-110F. His cool side reads about 80F, while his hot side is usually 90-100F. I admit that the cool side humidity reads 60 which I am not sure how to bring down, his hot humidity reads 35-40. I feed him yellow squash, Italian squash, butternut squash, banana squash, endives, mustard greens, okra, all the good stuff I get from this website: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#fruit. I don't know Georges age, I was told from some pictures that he might be around 2 or 3 years old. Long story short, he was given to me and was found outside and nobody claimed him. Ive had him for about maybe 3 or 4 months. Any help is appreciated! I don't want him to die!!

PICTURES

https://ibb.co/T4VmfRC

https://ibb.co/82HHXYZ

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First I would lay off all the squash--- its too much water -- and could cause a tummy ache -- more greens like collard turnips and kale -- ignore the kale thing on the website its a good staple feeder- now we need to go over those UVB's you have 2 you only need one and I need to know if that is a coil UVB or a tube UVB brand and bulb and where is it placed top of screen or inside the tank ? Humidity is fine as long as its not going over 70% ---- with him hiding from the lights tells me something is off -- is he basking at all ?
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply, been taking care of George and havent been able to figure out whats wrong. I picked up the little wooden cover and picked him up. He was less active and hung out on my shirt for a little bit. I offered a mealworm which he gladly took so im glad he still has an appetite. I put him on top of his wooden perch and was awake for about an hour or two until he hid back under his wooden cover and slept all day. Woke up today and he is still in there. So I can give him kale everyday? Yeah ive been giving him different types of squash each day on top of his greens. Could you give me an example of what you put in your beardies food bowl? I hope its just a tummy ache and it goes away. The reason I have 2 UVB lights is because the enclosure is long and the UVB light wouldnt shine throughout the whole enclosure. That is why I have one on the left side of the tank, and one on the right. The lightning doesnt combine so it doesnt become too intense for him.

He hasnt basked as much as before, hes just hiding under the wooden cover all day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB your using are they both the same? You only need one good one and if the only way he is to get away from them is to hide- we recommend the whole tank not be covered w/ a UVB try taking one out--- what are you using brand and bulb ? I mix my greens turnip / collard or turnip/ kale or collard/ kale or mustard / collard- alternate one squash like yellow or zucchini or butternut- I also am adding prickly pear pads cut up now-- I haft to order those off Amazon- I also shred raw sweet potato- some people use green pepper or red -- grean beans all of this can be gotten off the nutrition website-- do you have that site? When did the basking behavior change? Have you always had the 2 UVB's or did you just add the 2nd one
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Both UVB lights have the reptisun 5.0 lightbulbs. Ive had the two light fixtures for over a month already and he hasn't had a problem. But if you DO suggest for me to take one out, which one would you suggest? If you have time I will leave a link with the picture so you can kind of see how my setup is. Would you recommend me to take out the furthest right one next to his UV, or the left one which lights Mid to the left side of his cool zone?. Could you please post the link to the nutritional website you use? I would really appreciate it! :). I will need to go to the market today to pick up some of the veggies you mentioned and try some prickly pears. Thank you for all your help!

https://ibb.co/P6vc31K

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
George needs to have the 5.0 bulb upgraded to the 10.0 bulb --- he also needs a piece of decor directly under the UVB but is is this a T 8 I am assuming it is - if its a T 8 the distance needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor and INSIDE the tank - I would take out the one furthest away and leave the one closest to your basking bulb
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Thank you I made the adjustments and he is still hiding under his log. I gave him some greens with a couple mealworms today and he came out to eat, basked for maybe 30 mins to an hour and went back inside his log...I cant pin point what is wrong with him. You dont think that maybe he is just sleepy?.
By the way, I checked both my UVB bulbs and they are actually 10.0s...not 5.0s

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so they are not expired correct? Are those T 8 or T 5's? Does he look like he's losing weight? Weigh him please kitchen food scale and weigh in grams--so he is eating and basking is he pooping? It may be just him and being lazy- how about hydration is he eating enough salad that he is staying hydrated? They get moisture out of their vegies and if your rinsing those greens before serving he will get moisture-
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
I haven't seen him poop today, hes been inside the log all day. The lights haven't expired, I barely bought them about 2 or 3 months ago and I have this card that senses UVB, and the sensor still lights up, meaning they are good. The light is T8, he looks the same weight, doesn't seem like he has lost weight at all. I will need to order a kitchen scale as I do not own one. I do spray the veggies each time I feed him, I also mist him once a day. I have not seen him touch his veggies today, he will eat worms when offered though. Should I move the log and bring him out with me for a bit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You T8 is inside the tank now and NO plastic cover over the bulb correct? Please post a pic of him
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- we need a better pic of him -- I am not sure whats going on it may be nothing and it may be just him but I am going to enlist some help -- I am wondering if that basking temp is too warm --- how old is George rough estimate? He is an adult tho correct-- sometimes they dont like hot basking temps - can you set up a gradient heat for him? Like 95-110- a piece of log decor w/ different areas to bask w/ different temps -- I am just throwing that out there -- I am gonna see if AHBD will have some ideas of whats going on-- like I said it may not be anything but we want to rule stuff out
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help!, Indeed the T8 reptisun 10.0 is hung inside with no plastic cover. I setup his hammock on the same basking area as his log but just directly opposite of it. I and turned off the 2nd basking light the day before yesterday and ever since I took out the 2nd reptisun UVB, he hasn't been out. I took him out of his log and took pictures of him and placed him on his perch where the UVB is at, and hes been hanging out there for approx. 30 minutes already, I will keep you updated on what he does. I haven't seen him poop at all though, I will try to offer some phoenix worms later, I woke up and seen that the salad was untouched, he did eat his mealworms though. I doubt the basking temp is too warm, the probe reads 95-105F, if he gets too hot im sure he would hop over to the hammock where the basking light doesn't hit as much. Once again thank you for your help and I hope AHBD can pin point what is wrong, if all else fails, I have to find a local reptile vet to get him checked out.

108211-3411826776.jpg
108211-5918104830.jpg
108211-9664946966.jpg
108211-9738037586.jpg
108211-5473124068.jpg
108211-9543368914.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let's see what she thinks-- sometimes they won't poop for days or longer- it is not uncommon-- as long as he's eating basking and pooping and not losing weight he should be fine-- I am posting a website for finding a vet just in case www.arav.org
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
Just a little update, I went to sprouts and bought some fresh veggies. Made him a Bokchoy, Collard Greens, mustard greens, and peickly pear flesh salad. Powdered it with some bee pollen and sprinkled phoenix worms on top. He poked his head out of the log for about 10 to 15 minutes and just looked around...Then he ran over to the salad and started eating his greens...He kept analyzing it a bit too much though(Maybe trying to find the phoenix worms?). After he was done, he leaped on the little wooden perch below the UVB and hung out for 15 minutes. I forgot to mention a little detail, about a week ago before this started. One of my uv light bulb on my double UV fixture went out, and for the next 1 or 2 days, I had just one on before the 2nd one went out. When I replaced them and his log hiding began, I had just one ON. Right now after he finished UVB bathing for a little bit, I turned the second one on and he leaped over to sun bathe. You think that had something to do with it? One bulb read about 98-103F. Now that the second one is on, Its going upwards to 110F.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep an eye on that temp -- at what temp did it stop going up w/ both of those lights on? And what wattage are they?
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
they are both 100W bulbs from ZooMed. The hottest ive ever seen them go is 113F, but it usually lingers around 105F-110F. He stayed under there for about an hour until I turned off his lights to go to sleep, then he quickly went under his log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom