Beardie is hobbling with slightly swollen foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tignaw

My Gnaw was suddenly limping/hobbling a couple days ago. We dont know if she might have fallen in her enclosure or if it's something else. The leg seems limp itself but she can walk on it, but kind of hobbles. She will chase her food and eat it with gusto like she always has. She explores and climbs like she normally does as well too. It doesnt even seem to bother her if I move or GENTLY squeeze it but as I said, that whole leg seems so to move more... "loosely" than her other. Theres no discoloration either.

In regards to her enclosure, it is a 40 gallon "aquarium" type tank and with a metal mesh lid on top. I recently switched her UVB lamp from an Exo Terra UVB150 (coil) to a Reptisun 10.0 (tube) in a Zilla Slimline Desert Fixture (with the plastic screen removed). Her heat lamp is a Zoomed 75W 120V? It's a red heat bulb in a dome fixture. Both these lights sit atop the metal mesh lid. I will admit, her heating temp is not at hot as I've seen others. It's usually what seems to be between 80-90. She always seemed fine with it and prefers to sit on the windowsill if given the chance, she'd probably sit there all day and nap!

Shes a little over a year old and loves her bugs and veggies and occasional bath times. She has always seemed completely happy and healthy so for this spring up so suddenly worries me to no end. I love her so much and tend to over worry about her and how she's feeling and after her limping appeared, I'm worried that I didn't provide her with what she needed just because she acted and looked healthy all this time.

I cant afford an expensive vet bill in the middle of this epidemic so I've been soaking her leg in warm water since her limping appeared. It's been 2 days with no change. I was told to wait by a reptile breeder in my town he claimed his beardie had a falling incident and recovered just fine so he assumed it was just sore.

Even now, shes still alert and spunky, her colors are bright, her poop is normal, and shes eager to explore even if she is limping!
I would appreciate what your speculation on what her condition is, along with heat bulb recommendations! I want to improve for my baby's well being with what I can during this financially hard time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the foot- this has no bearing on the foot but please get rid of the red bulb - bearded dragons have sensitive eyes and colored bulbs distort their vision - long term it can damage their eyes- please get a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110- basking decor should be 6-8 inches for the UVB directly underneath-
Karrie

Tignaw

Original Poster
KarrieRee":jed1ljf1 said:
Please post pics of the foot- this has no bearing on the foot but please get rid of the red bulb - bearded dragons have sensitive eyes and colored bulbs distort their vision - long term it can damage their eyes- please get a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110- basking decor should be 6-8 inches for the UVB directly underneath-
Karrie

Thanks so much! I swung by a store and got her a Zoomed 100w white basking light. It got up to 100 and she seems to enjoy it! ?
As for her foot, it appears swelling went down and she's walking on it much better. We suspected she just bruised it after all.
Again, thanks so much for the advice on heating!
If I may ask tho, what about the surface temperature for her basking spot? Her rock gets quite hot even while it's about 7 inches away and I'm worried it may burn her stomach. Can their tummies handle that or should I change her rock to hammock or something?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear you were able to get a new UVB light. You purchased the Reptisun 10
tube bulb, correct? How close to her is it? I hope it helps her out, too. She probably did
just sprain her foot when she jumped or fell.
How often do you give her calcium? Since she is around a year or a little older, I recommend
calcium supplementation 2-3 times a week. She is still growing & filling out & will continue to
do so well into her 2nd year.
Definitely post some pictures for us, too.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The temp on the basking spot should be -95-110 for a adult / juvie --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer------------ or infrared heat gun --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- sometimes decor can get too hot and burn them so be careful --- glad she likes her new basking bulb -- and glad the swelling went down to -- keep an eye on it and her behavior -- her appetite may increase and her poops should be better too w/ the proper basking light
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom