Female dragon laying too much??

Status
Not open for further replies.

juhason

Hello,
I have a female dragon who is about 1 year and a few months old. She has never been exposed to a male except when she was a baby. She went through brumation from Late December-Late March (started before she was even a year old) and then on May 3rd, she laid her first clutch. It was 20 eggs. Now today, she is laying her another clutch. The last 2-3 days she was acting crazy again but I thought maybe she was going to shed (she shed some skin from her nostril last week). I gave her a bath yesterday and came back to one egg in the bath, then this morning another in the cage. So once she started acting up again I put her in the sand and sure enough she began digging. She has already laid about 10 eggs and doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. Is this normal to lay so many eggs in not even a month’s time?? Is she going to be able to handle all this? I don’t believe she is even full grown yet, she still has some of that grey/black on her tail that they have as juvies.

juhason

Original Poster
Update:
She laid 21 eggs, not including the 2 from earlier

She is acting fine but I’m still worried about the toll on her body

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It seems like a lot but it's fairly normal , they are egg-laying machines. I've had females that laid many more than that. Just feed her well + give her good calcium supplementation.

juhason

Original Poster
AHBD":3g95u2ek said:
It seems like a lot but it's fairly normal , they are egg-laying machines. I've had females that laid many more than that. Just feed her well + give her good calcium supplementation.
Ok, thank you!! I was calling my vet but they immediately told me it was bad and she needed a visit so I wanted to make sure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How much does your vet know about beardies. Her egg laying is perfectly normal, they usually lay multiple clutches and it's every 3-4 weeks so she's right on time. Your vet says it's bad ? Ask him why. Tell him that someone who had dragons for 25 years has had all their females lay that often and even more eggs. If your dragon was acting sick there might be cause for a vet visit but that's not the case. Here''s just an average clutch that 1 of my females laid.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29884/full

juhason

Original Poster
AHBD":3ofeheuy said:
How much does your vet know about beardies. Her egg laying is perfectly normal, they usually lay multiple clutches and it's every 3-4 weeks so she's right on time. Your vet says it's bad ? Ask him why. Tell him that someone who had dragons for 25 years has had all their females lay that often and even more eggs. If your dragon was acting sick there might be cause for a vet visit but that's not the case. Here''s just an average clutch that 1 of my females laid.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29884/full
Honestly she knows a lot less than I thought. Unfortunately she is the closest and one of the “best” in my area. When she started brumating I got worried cause I thought it was too early. She told me it was strange and told me to force her wake her up (which I knew was wrong). A little after she woke up I took her to the visit, and now looking back she was full of eggs. The vet said nothing about it. I called a week or two later asking if she might be ready to lay because she is acting crazy and she said no it’s just hormones cause it’s breeding season. She then discouraged me from attempting a lay box because they are “breeding grounds for bacteria.” So I ignored her behavior for a few days but couldn’t take it anymore and did it anyways. And then she laid. I definitely think it’s time to look for a new vet but I’m worried they will know less considering she’s one of the better ones allegedly. I appreciate the help and the pic!! She’s just lounging around today and eating normally :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, your dragon is fine and doesn't need a vet right now, especially one that doesn't know about the type of animal you have. . Without experience a vet can do more damage than good and charge unnecessary fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom