New beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The morio worms need to be not bigger than the space between his eyes - you want them small - and only use like 1-3 of them -- so make sure they are small
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
Ok after returning from the store they had ran out of stock for the morio and cal o worms they only had in small black and brown crickets i tried offering them to him on feeding tweezers at first he was no interested . I then tried putting him in a plastic tub decent size like a lunch box with around ten crickets and he was just scared of them and tried to run away I have now left him back in the viv so unsuccessful

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When are they getting more calci worms in? And the morio worms are they small or large size -- you cant feed large ones they need to be small --- please take a pic of him and post -- is he basking ? If its going to be a long time to get the calci worms in then you need to find some one else that has them or go on line and order them --- hes not eating at all now correct? You may haft to take a cricket or dubia and open it up and rub on his face to get him to eat --
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
They said usually the delivery is tomorrow they are small morio worms but tomorrow is bank holiday in the uk so they were not sure if they would get them or not. He hasn’t been Intrested in food at all today. Will pestering him to eat not make it worse for his stress levels ? I keep reading about relocation stress can it be down to this ? I’ll post a close pic of him below

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is tiny --- I would leave him alone and let him settle in --- make sure hes hydrated - either spray him w/ water or drop water on his nose - I would drop water first on his nose see if he will lick it off his nose --- then take a dubia smash it and rub on his nose to see if you can get him to eat it that way -- try hand feeding him some veggies-- try all that first and see if you can get somewhere w/ him - if not leave him be for a while and try again later --
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
I have been giving him water every few hours just droplets on his head which he has taken in . I tried blending his veggies up into water and stringing it onto his nose he tasted it but then stopped almost immediately think I am going to leave it for the day now I will try two hours before his lights go out then that’s it as I do t want to stress him to much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok use bugs- just get him started on his bugs first- we need him to eat his bugs we can try veggies later
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

IS your arcadia the 12% or the 14%? That determines the distance it needs to be from the basking site.

What is the distance of the bulb now to his basking site?

It's ok without a reflector as long as it's at a proper distance, however how it is right now is a little bit iffy as you don't want it to be very close to eye level. When the bulbs are at eye level it can really cause some damage to their eyes. So depending on how close it is right now, you might want to move it up a bit more.

You could also get some thin chain or something to suspend the fixture overhead. That would be ideal. Then you can just set the chain or whatever you use to the right distance.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I know there's lots of anxiety with a new baby , lights, feeding etc. but he should settle in after a week or so. :) He is pretty small so I would have started him out in a smaller tank with less cage decor and the bulb would be easier to adjust properly. Some people say that a large tank is fine because in the wild they would have wide open space in every direction but these babies are born [ hatched ] in captivity, usually in plastic tubs. But some babies do fine right away in a large tank. I do agree with Brandon that the uvb should be further away for sure so it's best to put it back where it was or mount it from the top. It's good that he's drinking droplets, he's probably thirsty.

In a day or 2, offer crickets again but only 1--2 at a time. To slow them down, put them in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder, shake them up pretty hard to make them slow + dizzy and drop them right near him on his basking rock one at a time. If he eats one, give another, then another, etc.

Holmes123

Original Poster
It’s a 10% light . I’ve woke up this morning his lights have been on fo around an hour and a half and he seems the same. Going to leave some of his salad out for him see if he takes any l. I have moved the light bar up a little. He has pooed this morning so food is going through that he has eaten. It’s just his lack of energy that I feel is odd his basking spot is aroun 105-110f but he’s never wonders down to the cool end at all but also seems like he doesn’t want to do much of anything. Is it worth leaving him for a full day alone to relax

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would suggest you get a 12% bulb and invest in a fixture w/ a reflector --- I would look for a 24" fixture --- Your tank does it have a screen on top? W/ a T5 or 12% bulb w/ a reflector you can put that on top w/ your basking decor 8-10 inches directly under it -- the 12% bulb is better UVB for him -- keep offering food -- your not stressing him out by doing that and he needs to get use to your hands in the tank etc -- keep him hydrated as well --- follow what AHBD told you about feeding him too
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Our baby was like that when we first got her too.
In fact even at 5 months she still spends most of her time sitting under her uv or heat. I am still new to this but I think that is normal.
I think you are doing ok. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try doing what I suggested, just 1-2 crickets at a time dropped on her rock after being shake in a jar to make them wobbly + slow. That is not stressful at all. You don't need to put beardie in a separate tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom