Scale Rot? Black spots on scales.

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Scale Rot? Black spots on scales.

Postby junko » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:19 pm

A couple months back i began to notice these black spots on her belly. I've seen some individual scales 'shed,' but the shed wasn't translucent but yellow instead. She also has these on her tail.

I contacted my breeder and they said she has scale rot, they told me to soak her in betadine for 30 min each day. I have been doing that for 3 months, yet nothing has improved. Also im not sure if her scales are yellow because of the betadine, or if it's from a fungal infection.

junko
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Scale Rot? Black spots on scales.

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:30 am

That just looks like natural discoloration they can get. The scales don't look damaged. It's possible they are stained so gently scrubbing in a bath with a little bit of mild soap might help if it's dirt but otherwise it is likely just natural scale color. My dragon has similar spots and it isn't a problem.
CooperDragon

Postby Beardymom76 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:26 pm

What about this?[Click image to enlarge]
im worried about this spot on his arm
Beardymom76
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:28 pm

The grayness makes me think they are patches about to shed. Have they been changing much lately? Look for signs of those scales shedding but also keep an eye out for more wounded looking scales which may indicate something other than shed.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health