Arcadia ProT5 - output vs. normal reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp852

Hello there,

Some of you may be fimilar with Arcadia ProT5 kit available in 6%/12%/14% T5s.
I really like design and probably will use it in my next enclosure, but the thing is..
Their standalone 6% with their corresponding reflector readings are somewhat lower than they advertise on ProT5 kit.
You can check in detail here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/UVTool-ArcadiaD3T5.htm
As you can see:
- no reflector 15cm/30cm = 2,4UVI/1,1UVI
- Arcadia reflector 15cm/30cm = 7,9UVI/3,3UVI
Which means their standalone reflector triples the output.

Now the thing is, they advertise on their website that 6% ProT5 kit outputs at 30cm 4,5UVI (their don't list reading of lower distance.
Now I don't know if their "special" reflector could make output 4x stronger like they're advertising, or it's just manufacturers trick to sell more of units.
They use I think mylar reflector, same as Sunblaster reflectors.
Now how should I fit that kit in my enclosure? I wanted to put it maybe 17cm from basking site (from link above you can see that normaln T5 6% outputs around 6 UVI at 17 cm), or should I mount it further from basking site according to their reading?

One last thing is: I have their T8 12% which they advertise to use at 25-30cm for 4-6UVI, when we all know and use it at range of 15-20cm - again, you can check on site above, they have readings for this tube too) so that makes me think they just make it stronger on paper as marketing trick.

Thanks for any response and opinion

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tested the Pro kit myself. I don't have an Arcadia T8 on hand to test either, unfortunately. The numbers for the root-it are close to what I see with my very similar fixture. Generally speaking the results from uvguide are quite reliable and I often reference these results to create distance estimates for various bulbs.

Sharp852

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ubqy12d said:
I haven't tested the Pro kit myself. I don't have an Arcadia T8 on hand to test either, unfortunately. The numbers for the root-it are close to what I see with my very similar fixture. Generally speaking the results from uvguide are quite reliable and I often reference these results to create distance estimates for various bulbs.

Hello,
I have seen your reply also for my other topic about metal mesh so will answer for both places here:
Good news - I contacted Arcadia themselves and they told all their readings are with installed mesh which seems a bit weird considering 6% having 4,5UVI at 30cm.
Also they told me that 6% is good for my range of 15-20cm but who knows if that's with mesh or not; my guess is without mesh based on normal reflector readings but guess I should invest into solarmeter just in case.
Also ProT5 is very similar design to Sublaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom