Extremely injured beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the help. Nothing has changed besides he’s eating a little better. I don’t have to force him as much. Once I open his mouth he’ll eat the baby food on his own after that. The swelling has not improved but I have been using the tea bags once a day for 10 minutes. I also went out and bought the reptisun t8 10.0 18inch uvb light today. I was using the reptisun 5.0 coiled one that came with the bearded dragon kit, hopefully that helps him improve. I’m hoping the brain damage he has is nothing permanent and will stop once the swelling goes down. I flushed his eye both today and yesterday just incase something’s inside that could be irritating it further. He doesn’t move much from the “star gazing” position he’s like this basically all the time besides when he’s laying on his side or twirling his body around. I laid down a bunch of fluffy socks on the bottom of the tank so he has some cushion instead of the hard glass since he’s been banging his head around. I’m going to add some more pictures now

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor fella. I was hoping the swelling would show some improvement by now. It's good that he is eating more readily now though.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure your T 8 is inside the tank and approx 8-10 inches from his basking decor -- w/ no cover over the bulb--- I hope he makes it --
Karrie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
I bought him from Petco on Sunday which was the worst decision I’ve made, I will never buy from them again. Anyways, I called them and let them know what was going on. They told me within the first 30 days of the purchase they will provide vet care. I said ‘okay great, can we schedule an appointment for me to bring him in then?’ His response was, “Ma’am you would need to come in and return the animal for us to contact the vet and set up an appointment. Once he sees the vet and is able to go home to a family again, we will give you a call if you want to come back and rebuy him.” It was a argument with this man on the phone because I didn’t understand why I needed to return my baby for him to see a vet. I finally gave in and said “if I bring him in how long would it be until he saw a vet because he flips around in his tank he cannot be left alone long, I hand feed him twice a day, etc.” they told me that they animals are checked on once a hour during store hours and then not at all throughout the night. He also told me it could be a few days before they were able to get him into a vet. So absolutely not. That just sounds like they are leaving him to die to me. And my mom made a very good point as “its Petco. You paid $60 for him and they probably don’t even pay half of that, they aren’t gonna put much into vet care for him”.

Other then Petcos vet the closest one to me that sees reptiles is almost 2 hours away

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that he has not improved any yet but at least he is eating some. Does he open the
other eye any? If the swelling is the primary reason his balance is off, then hopefully if it goes
down then he will regain some type of normal movement.
I worry that the bite ended up hurting his skull in some way, but just looking, it is impossible to
tell.
Keep putting the tea bag on, just to help with healing & any pain relief, too.
Has he gone to the bathroom since the incident occurred?

Tracie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
He does open both eyes sometimes. It’s usually only for a few minutes he will open his non swollen eye all the way and the open swollen one just a little bit. That makes me think maybe he has a concussion and is sensitive to light right now? If they can even get those. He has gone to the bathroom everyday. It’s been pretty liquidy but I’m feeding him pure baby food right now so that may be the cause.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he is definitely hanging in there. Any changes with his eye yet, or not?
He could have some sensitivity to light, with the eye injury. They can get concussions from
head injury & exhibit neurological issues like we would.
Can he open his mouth? Just checking to be sure his jaw was not affected, but it didn't sound
like it.
Which baby foods are you giving to him?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
We ended up taking him to the vet this morning. He has some sort or cervical injury but they are not sure if it’s a fracture or just swelling. They also gave me a antibiotic to put on his eye. He is going to be okay just needs time to heal

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
He has been doing a lot better. Swelling hasn’t gone down much but he’s been opening his swollen eye all the way. He’s walking a little more and climbing to the top of his hideout to bask. Not sure if it was just giving him time or if it was the antibiotics the doctor gave (the antibiotics were for if he had an infection in his eye) but he’s improving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom