Swollen area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great the culture came back negative for cancer. Hopefully the infection will clear up
soon. Be sure to give probiotics also she is on her antibiotics, to help keep her tummy balanced
out.
How is she doing today?
It sounds like her immune system is pretty strong also. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
Dragon still doesnt seem to have an appetite. She randomly ate a leaf or two of dandelion greens yesterday and then 2 meal worms today. I fed her the 2 meal worms about 30 mins before giving her next dose of antibiotics. She seemed very upset after the shot so she did NOTwant to eat any more worms after the shot. These meds are definitely messing with her typical/normal routine so I'm not surprised. I just feel so bad for her! She was extremely upset today after her shot today :( but I was able to give her pain reliever a bit after.
I seriously appreciate all your guys comments and feedback. Makes me feel like we're not alone during her healing process. I just HATE what shes going thru but I know shell be better in the long run!
As expensive as the vet visit was I'm just relived it's nothing serious. At least i have that peace of mind. I just really hate she even has to go thru any of this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is difficult having to put them through such an ordeal & emotionally taxing on you both,
also. I hope she is feeling better soon.
I'm glad that it wasn't anything more serious too, that is terrific news! I am just wondering
how in the world that happened. Sometimes, you just never know.
Are you giving her a probiotic right now, while she is on medication?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
Dragon still refused to eat, however when I offer her a worm coated in calcium she seems excited to eat it. But when I try giving her more she doesnt seem interested at all! I've been missing her with water tgesepast 2 weeks. Yesterday I decided to put her in the shower again and she seemed to try to poop whatever she could but there wasnt much since she hasnt really eaten. She been taking more naps now because I've been keeping it darker in the house. She slept in till 2pm yesterday! But I turned on the light to she can get some UVB and that's when I was able to give her 1 worm. I was also able to give her pain killer/anti inflammatory without any problem. Tomorrow will be her next dose of antibiotics shot.
I havent gotten her any probiotics since shes not interested in eating.
Last year I got her multi vitamins and she absolutely refused to eat them! I would quickly sneak them in as she was eating her regular food. Since then I havent bought her any.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
Since she is on medication, do be sure that she is getting adequate warmth & a good length
of daytime for the day. Otherwise, she wont be able to assimilate the meds & wont recover
very quickly. How long is she basking for right now?
I hope she is feeling better. If she isn't eating very much, you can supplement her with some
chicken or turkey baby food, along with squash or sweet potato baby food, too.
Is her beard normal color also?/
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
She still refuses to eat. I think she may have eaten a tiny piece of bell pepper while I was at work. I made her eat a tiny peeled apple piece with some calcium on it. She refuses to eat her worms. Her beard is her usually color, it's not dark like it usually gets if she anxious or unhappy.
I gave her a bath and she drank more water. She tried pooping but nothing really came out. However I now noticed that when she went her area looks "raw." Usually when she goes the hole close back up.
The place where it was swollen is scabbed up and looks like its healing but now I'm concerned about her other area. I'm still waiting on the 2nd culture to confirm if the antibitocs that were given are helping. The 1st one confirmed she has no cancerous swelling.
Today was her 3rd dose of antibiotics and a bit after I have her pain killer/anti inflammatory.
For most of the day she basks right under the heat lamp which gets to a little above 100°.
Then she sometimes crawls up her bed and sits next to the uvb light.
I'm now debating if I need to stop using the vetericyn spray because obviously when I spray it onto the scab it runs down and probably irritates the area where she excretes from!
I havent sprays it on her since giving her a bath and letting her soak for a good 10-15 minutes!
But I have been using for almost a week now filling the instructions to spray it 3-4 times a day!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening?
So she did eat a little bit for you? Since she is on antibiotics, they will likely affect her
appetite somewhat so I would consider giving a probiotic for her to help out her tummy.
When do you expect the results from the 2nd culture?
I'm glad to hear that she is spending a good amount of time in her day, basking. She
needs the heat to help out her system while she is healing.
Does the vetericyn spray seem to irritate that area at all?
You could get some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey to put on those raw areas, it
might be more gentle & would help the healing process more quickly.
If she isn't eating enough on her own, I would definitely try to get some baby food into
her if possible, to help with her nutrition & weight.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
My poor baby still refuses to eat.
I'm not sure if I'm over reacting but her poop hole area does not look ok! It has never looked like this and did not look like this 2 days ago!
I'll attach the picture, but it doesnt show how pink it looks in person. Almost looks wounded as well. But the picture does not look like what I see.
Her scales/skin near the scab cracked. Not on the scab but near it. I know in humans its normal if you stretch a dry scab is bound to crack. I've been keeping it hydrated. I sprayed just a bit of vetericyn and more water. I just dont want to do something to cause her more discomfort!
Once again I gave her dose of pain killer/ anti-inflammatory to hopefully help if shes in pain and reduce the swelling she still has. She doesnt seem to have a problem when I give it to her and accepts it fairly well.
The 2nd culture should be back anyday now but all it is was to let me know if the antibitoc I'm giving her is ok and actually helping her!
The 1st one determined the swelling wasnt anything cancerous or bad!
My husband told me I'm over reacting and just irritating her more because I keep picking her up(I'm very careful I just want to cuddle her!) Will anyone agree with him, so I have a peace of mind and actually am over reacting?!
She's so helpless and I dont know what else to do I cant stand seeing her not her usual self :(
107618-4207030293.jpg
107618-1528794114.jpg
107618-3745934782.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That doesn't look too bad, but still a little swollen. Her beard isn't black so it doesn't seem
like she is in too much pain at all.
I am not sure why she isn't eating but you could try probiotics if you aren't giving her any
already.
Hopefully this second culture wont reveal anything bad, perhaps just a mild infection in an
abscess or something of the sort.
Have you tried the honey on the scales yet to see if that heals them up any better?
Maybe you are overly concerned, but, with reptiles, it's hard not to worry about things like
this because they hide infection & illness so well. It's difficult to determine just how ill they
are.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
Tracie I really appreciate your response! And everybody else thank you so much!
The Dr called and informed me the 2nd culture came back and this was to determine if the current antibiotic shots we are giving are helping fight off any infection or if a different one would need to be given. The current one is good! Which means it's helping and not making it worse!
I ordered some vitamin/probiotic off amazon that others are stating actually increased their beardies appetite! Itll be here in a few days, hope it helps!
Also since the antibiotic shots that we are currently giving is the right one, the Dr has put in a refill to continue for about next 3 months :(
I'm supposed to bring her in next month just so the Dr can do an exam, I'm hoping shes even better by then. If Dragon is worse then surgery might be involved. If the swelling goes back up then they would have to place a drain and keeping it open to allow any fluid to come out :(
As far as the sore/tender area goes the Dr said not to be alarmed! She mentioned syringe feeding her if she continues to refuse to eat.
I was concerned if constant hydration and the use of the vetericyn spray is causing any irritation and the Dr confirmed there should be no problem to keep her hydrated and using that spray to help any cracked scabbing.
So in the meantime I'll just continue to let her soak in the bathtub (I keep the water running just for a bit so she can be refreshed)
And I'm keeping all her towels in her home clean!
I have not tried to use the honey yet and I was about to but I'm 50/50 on that because of my own research I have done. The last thing I want to do is irritate it more. I have raw unpasteurized honey from my grandpa who keeps his own bees, I'm assuming that would be fine to use? Maybe I'll put on just a bit tonight while she sleeps?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So did the second culture just say it was some type of infection? A 3 month antibiotic regime
seems like quite awhile to me. Which antibiotic is it? Maybe they could reconsider the length
of time for that? Be sure to give a probiotic while she is on medication, too.
I agree, you may need to consider syringe feeding her some, just to help keep her nutrition
status up & her weight stable.
She likes her bath time, that is nice! I hope she drinks some also.
Sure, don't be afraid to try the honey on that area, it is a great antibacterial/antimicrobial agent
& works pretty fast. You can rinse it off, daily.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
Hello!
So the vet took 2 cultures. The 1st one was to determine whether the swelling was cancerous. It was concerning because the Dr did cut the abscess and only a bit of liquid came out and the dr said shes never seen a swelling so big with such a small amount of stuff that came out. That culture came back negative, meaning all they got back was a culture that stated it was swollen tissue ??‍♀️.
The 2nd was to test whether or not the antibitoc they gave would help fight off any infection, or a special/custom one would be needed. That one came back positive, meaning the meloxidyl (meloxicam) is the right antibitoc to continue on. I did my own research on that antibiotic and surprisingly found positive results. But no where did I read that about it being given for 3 months. The few I did read was to fight of something else and it was given for maybe 2 or so weeks....not sure if a longer course is recommended depending on what the situation is.
I'll have to ask If i can do a shorter course. Because the vet visit, including the culture tests and meds (2 week supply), cost 4x the amount i expected. And if I calculated the medication right, the refill for 3 months will cost around $200!
As far as drinking water, she will drown herself if I left her alone while she showered! She enjoys drinking the water or I sometimes even spray a little on her mouth if she continues to drink it. I know dragons dont know when to stop so I have to be careful so she doesnt inhale water. So shes definitely not dehydrated!
I finally got the vitamin/probiotic...didnt realize it was another powder formula like calcium...I'll definitely try again to encourage her to eat.
She seems to being doing alright! That and maybe I've calmed down too. Shes a strong Dragon I know shell be ok she has to be!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is a bit excessive on time. Actually, meloxicam is a pain relief/killer but, not really
an antibiotic. Interesting that is what he has her on. Personally, I wouldn't give that one
longer than a month or so, it can cause some side effects. It is mostly for anti-inflammatory
purposes but not for infection, per say.
Absolutely, that is the truth, a lot of them can aspirate water when in a bath if they aren't
closely watched, or drown.
Let us know how she is doing. It sounds like things are calming down some though.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
So I got enough refills of her antibiotics to take her to her 1 month checkup.
Today the scab oozed a bit and looks a little more raw on the side. The scab is dried and looks like it healing but the small area next to it seems to keep cracking open. It even smelled bad! It's not getting larger. But it doesnt look like its healing right.
I bathed her, cleaned her home with fresh towels.
Still refuses to eat and wouldnt even try to her the blueberry I offered and she goes crazy for them!
Since she was going to sleep I decided to try the raw honey...I dont think she liked because as I was lightly applying it she started tapping her foot. That scared me thinking it probably burns her! So I quickly bathed her and applied a bit of the honey while the water run to wash off any extra. Once dried and back under the heat lamp I applied some raw honey diluted with fresh water.....
I'm not sure if it defeats the whole purpose but if it's her scales/skin is cracked I really dont want to add something thatll cause her more discomfort!
Any suggestions or opinions? Was diluting the honey with water pointless?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very strange. Diluting the honey with warm water was fine. It definitely should not
burn her though, it doesn't have anything in it that would irritate it. The area is raw now? It
is probably just hurting her some since the scab came off. If some puss came out of it I can
see why the discharge would have a smell, it is still infected some.
Just try to keep it as clean as possible right now, to help it heal up.
Is her weight stable or is she losing any weight right now, since she isn't eating a lot?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom