Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Quick question - should I be brushing my beardies' teeth? I saw an experienced Youtuber do it and said it was very important... is that extra or is it necessary? If yes, how often, what to use, and how to do it in the safest way for my dragon?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
reptilez12":2611c99r said:
Hi all! Quick question - should I be brushing my beardies' teeth? I saw an experienced Youtuber do it and said it was very important... is that extra or is it necessary? If yes, how often, what to use, and how to do it in the safest way for my dragon?
No they can get grime off there teeth with crunchy foods insects bugs veggies
Feed rougher and harder foods along with the soft foods. Soft foods include mealworms, superworms, many fruits and so on. Hard foods can become soft by grating, shredding and cooking. Grating and shredding foods requires less mastication, results in less abrasion on the teeth to keep them clean and can contribute to disease.

Particles of soft foods are easily trapped within the mouth which promotes bacteria and plaque build up. Soft foods do not offer abrasive surfaces useful for cleaning teeth. Harder or rougher foods don’t present the same level of issue and they help toughen the mouth tissue.

Easy changes in diet that can be made include switching from feeding mealworms as larvae to their adult stage as beetles. Consider adding the occasional snail, phasmid and other beetles or even isopods, crickets , roaches help with built up plaque

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
For most Bearded dragons it probably doesn't matter. Maybe if a dragon had metabolic bone disease and couldn't chew properly they might benefit from more help. It's also good to occasionally check your dragons mouth, or look while they are eating so you can check how the teeth are doing.

Raw squash is a food that clear off their teeth

My girl has one spot in her mouth where food gets stuck. I've gently rubbed some food off with a damp cotton swab. Only because that one spot sometimes get food stuck. Usually I try to not bother her or I give her a crunchy bug to clear off the teeth which does help like Wickedpogona said.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DorgEndo":1z5413ip said:
For most Bearded dragons it probably doesn't matter. Maybe if a dragon had metabolic bone disease and couldn't chew properly they might benefit from more help. It's also good to occasionally check your dragons mouth, or look while they are eating so you can check how the teeth are doing.

Raw squash is a food that clear off their teeth

My girl has one spot in her mouth where food gets stuck. I've gently rubbed some food off with a damp cotton swab. Only because that one spot sometimes get food stuck. Usually I try to not bother her or I give her a crunchy bug to clear off the teeth which does help like Wickedpogona said.
Yup sometimes my girl gets greens stuck inbtween her lips /gums i just move her lip down gently to expose her mouth and it comes off easy as rubbing with a cotton swap as suggested above or your finger if washed prior and rinsed or can use water in a syringe NOT NEEDLE ONES to wash out anything

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FWIW, I've had dragons for almost 20 years now and have never once brushed dragon teeth.. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom