Funniest Cricket Story You'll Ever Read!

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Funniest Cricket Story You'll Ever Read!

Postby ComicBookMama » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 pm

I was in tears of laughter reading through this... anyone who's ever ordered feeders online will relate! Do yourself a favor and read this if you need a smile today. And then call your supplier to find out how they ship their feeders before you get your first order.

https://www.boredpanda.com/crickets-order-fail/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Funniest Cricket Story You'll Ever Read!

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm

ComicBookMama wrote:I was in tears of laughter reading through this... anyone who's ever ordered feeders online will relate! Do yourself a favor and read this if you need a smile today. And then call your supplier to find out how they ship their feeders before you get your first order.

https://www.boredpanda.com/crickets-order-fail/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Bahahaha! LOVE this story!
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Juvie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:14 pm

I've had mass accidential cricket releases in my house.... end up recapturing most them over next few days, as they will come out looking for food in the evenings.
Had a mailer tube with 700 medium crickets arrive with loose lid or lid half off.
Occasionally I'll drop a cricket keeper tub with maybe 100 in it.

Goes with the territory. I'd rather have a few crickets in the house than more roaches.

The resident wild G.Dubia geckos and resident wild water skinks find and eat the rest and have a week or so of feasting.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MelissaDufreche » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:50 pm

ComicBookMama wrote:I was in tears of laughter reading through this... anyone who's ever ordered feeders online will relate! Do yourself a favor and read this if you need a smile today. And then call your supplier to find out how they ship their feeders before you get your first order.

Omgaawwd I laughed so much! This is hilarious! Thanks!
MelissaDufreche
Newbie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:12 am

It looks very much like something I could have written back in the day... :roll:
As I was reading, I couldn't help but think this kind of thing may be more common than I thought, and comments seem to bear that out. How did I ever avoid this rite of beardie passage? I guess by reading a lot of articles on BDs (i.e. doing my homework) before I took the plunge, and watching videos of similar escapades on YT (not to mention signing up here a few months before plunging). :)

I've never fed or ordered crickets online, regardless of urging by some to do so. Between my revulsion to the noise, stink, and creepiness (despite going out as a kid and capturing grasshoppers to feed to Mr. Spectrum); reading about dead deliveries & parasites; seeing the conditions of crickets in pet chains/stores (including dissuading numbers of dead smelly bodies & parts :bleick: ); watching "unboxing" vids of feeders on YT, and investigating other options, I never succumbed. :dontknow:

The first feeders I bought were 100 small dubia roaches at the same time/show when I got ZaRDoZ. They came in plastic containers similar to this. They didn't last anywhere near as long as we thought--ZaRDoZ turned out to be a roach vacuum. The first dubias I ordered online came in larger ones like this. Of course, both were specifically mfd. for holding/shipping insects--with appropriate holes in the lids. When we graduated to larger size dubias (and super worms) in bulk, I was wary--not really knowing what to expect upon opening the box. I opened it slowly and cautiously, having first placed the box entirely within a large sterilite bin. I had visions of loose dubias swarming out like the scarab beetles in the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies (sorry--couldn't find a good clip :oops: ). Fortunately the vendor knew what they were doing, and both feeders (1000 med dubias; 500 lg. supers) were shipped in tightly sealed burlap bags. It was actually a little anticlimactic, but in retrospect, I'm glad--it was a tense moment, and things could easily have gone sideways (MAN, I'm glad dubias can't fly! :laughing6: )

The linked story is a year old. Quickly scanning YT, it appears crickets are being shipped (as of a year ago) both loose and in containers. Are feeder vendors still shipping loose crickets, and if so, do they advise/label/warn customers? :dontknow:
Seems like a no-brainer to me. :roll:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding