Possible Neurological Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new here. We have 2 beardies; Drach is a little over a year old and possibly a German Giant, while Kahla is around 3 or 4 months old and we believe he may be a citrus. They're in separate enclosures, obviously. :)
Kahla is an adoption, as he has some sort of disorder. I don't believe it to be "stargazing" as he doesn't do that; it's more like he has extremely limited muscle control and "faints" when touched. He also sleeps 23 hours a day...on his back.
I hand feed him in a separate container to ensure he eats. He's a very good eater but isn't growing as fast as Drach did at that age, but as noted before, Drach is possibly a G.G. Kahla's grown maybe a third of his length in the month we've had him.
He was at the vet before he came to us but they refused xrays or bloodwork, citing it as "probably mbd." Having worked with him every day since we got him, I don't believe this to be true. He seems to have something more like MS in humans.
Has anyone had any experience with neurological issues in beardies? Or have any ideas of what else we can do for him? I'm in South Central PA and haven't found a very with enough experience to trust yet. He IS growing, eats well, and doesn't seem to be suffering in ANY way.
Thanks, guys, it's great to be here!
Attached Files:
20200104_204857.jpg
20200104_204857.jpg
File size:1.8 MB
Views:1
Yesterday at 1:31 PMReportReply
Drach_Kahla
Drach_Kahla
Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are 2 pictures of what I mean by "faints"
Attached Files:
20200112_141958.jpg
20200112_141958.jpg
File size:1.2 MB
20200112_141950.jpg
20200112_141950.jpg
File size:1.1 MB
Yesterday at 1:36 PMReportReply

kaylynangel
kaylynangel
Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Drach_Kahla said: ↑
Here are 2 pictures of what I mean by "faints"
Please take this post to this forum and have some very experienced dragon owners and a vet from Texas look at him post what you have posted here and the pics of Drach -- they can help you more than I can - dragons should not sleep on their backs they cannot breath-- the vet mod there name is Tracie Drache613 she is usually on at nite - also AHBD is also experienced and she will probably chime in on this as well - please post what your using for a UVB - basking temps etc ------------- give them as much info as you can -
www.beardeddragon.org
Yesterday at 3:09 PMReportLikeReply

Drach_Kahla
Drach_Kahla
Bearded Dragon Egg
It's Kahla with the issues, not Drach. Which forum? I don't see a link or mention of a particular area. Thanks!
Yesterday at 4:51 PMReportReply

kaylynangel
kaylynangel
Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's Kahla with the issues, not Drach. Which forum? I don't see a link or mention of a particular area. Thanks!
www.beardeddragon.org
You can post under ER if you like -- sorry I was under the impression it was Drach -
Yesterday at 5:50 PMReportLikeReply

Drach_Kahla
Drach_Kahla
Bearded Dragon Egg
To answer lighting questions, they both have Reptisun 10's with reflectors that are on from 9am to 8pm and ceramic heat emitters that are on 24/7
Yesterday at 10:04 PMReportReply

kaylynangel
kaylynangel
Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
To answer lighting questions, they both have Reptisun 10's with reflectors that are on from 9am to 8pm and ceramic heat emitters that are on 24/7
coil or tube? Do you have bright white basking bulbs ? or just the ceramic heat emitters?
Yesterday at 10:07 PMReportLikeReply
Drach_Kahla
Drach_Kahla
Bearded Dragon Egg
Tube. Of course they have white basking bulbs!
Today at 11:26 AMReportReply
kaylynangel
kaylynangel
Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
New
Tube. Of course they have white basking bulbs!
ok have you posted on the beardeddragon.org forum yet?
Today at 11:27 AMReportLikeReply
Drach_Kahla
Drach_Kahla
Bearded Dragon Egg
New
No, I thought you meant another forum on this page. I'll try that
A moment agoEditReportReply
Write your reply...

LATEST REPLIES
kaylynangelMale beardie, 14 months old and...
kaylynangel replied 19 minutes ago
Rebecca540Morph and breeding
Rebecca540 replied 58 minutes ago
kaylynangelIs My Beardie Sick?
kaylynangel replied Today at 12:34 PM
kaylynangelBest Calcium Powder
kaylynangel replied Today at 12:26 PM
kaylynangelNeurological disorders?
kaylynangel replied Today at 11:27 AM
kaylynangelShould I be using sand and no...
kaylynangel replied Today at 9:53 AM
kaylynangelAm I doing this right?
kaylynangel replied Today at 8:51 AM
kaylynangelLump on Beardie's Jaw
kaylynangel replied Yesterday at 3:32 PM

Forums
>
Bearded Dragon Topics
>
Bearded Dragon Health
>
Bearded Dragon Forum
FORUMS
WATCHED THREADS
GALLERY
MARKETPLACE
MENU
Search
CONTACT US
HELP
About Us
Bearded Dragon Forum is a community of pet bearded dragon enthusiasts. We aim to provide a free resource to dragon keepers around the world. On these pages you will find discussions on any and all topics relating to pet beardies! Thank you for visiting our site and joining our community.

ExoticPetNetwork
Apistogramma.com
GeckoTalk.com
GeckoForums.net
HedgehogForums.com

TarantulaForum.com
TeguTalk.com
TortoiseForum.org
Tortoise Library
Terms and RulesPrivacy PolicyForum software by XenForo™ | XenForo style by pixelExit.com

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be muscular dystrophy. Some dragons have shown issues with that. Can you post some photos and maybe videos? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button when you reply. Videos can be uploaded to a hosting site like vimeo and then linked here.

DrachKahla

Original Poster
107392-7782370643.jpg
107392-3333032355.jpg
107392-7251834455.jpg

I don't have any videos; these 3 pictures were taken about a week after he came to us. He's about a third larger now and it's been a month or so.

Is there anything we can do to help him if it's ms? He's already hand fed and I do range of motion pt with him three times aweek

DrachKahla

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":j1f9h8es said:
Poor baby ?I hope you and your beardie get the help your looking for

Thank you! Other than looking overly dramatic he seems to be alright. The hardest thing so far is trying to keep him upright; he seems to go in a trance when flipped over (like a gator) so he can't right himself and just goes to sleep.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Typically when they are on their back they have trouble breathing. They dont have a diaphragm like we do. So that could explain why he acts like that on his back. I would right him any time you see him like that.

Poor fella really is in rough shape.

That's great that he has an appetite. These guys truly are fighters.

What does his daily diet consist of? Quantities?
What is your supplement schedule like for him?

It's too bad the vet didnt do bloodwork. I dont really like its MBD either but it could be, or at least also be present.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he is probably frustrated over it all too!
You are using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb T8, or the T5 high output tube bulb? How far from
him is it placed & is it on top of or underneath of the screen top?
I would try to lower the lights down to him, to accommodate the distances so he can bask
directly on the bottom of the tank so he doesn't flip himself over.
Can you post some pictures of his tank setup so we can see how everything is all setup for
him?
He may have had an issue trying to hatch out, that can happen or he may have some calcium
or other nutritional deficiencies. We do see that sometimes, with youngsters which grow very
rapidly. They deplete their stores & the body can't keep up. He is too small to have blood
drawn, but, they should have done an x-ray on him though.
Try to keep him from laying on his back. As stated earlier, they really can't breathe very well
in that position.

Tracie

DrachKahla

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't updated, I've been quite busy with appointments and such.
Sad to say that Kahla passed Tuesday morning; he was not responding to any treatments and stopped eating completely. The vet was able to make his transition quick and painless. Oddly I'm not terribly upset about this; I think I just find comfort in knowing we did all we could for him and he didn't spend his last month in a pet store (he was an adoption from my husband's store that came in in poor shape - the breeder refused to help or accept a return, so we took him to try to help him) or having been ignored by a breeder who didn't care.
Thank you to all who responded with help and words of encouragement ❤

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry that little Kahla passed. :cry: It is so devastating when they are so young
though but at least he wasn't alone when he needed someone. I am sorry for your loss.

Tracie

BobBlackbeard

Okay, so I would like to know what your vet thought/recommended. It is NOT MBD, and it is not genetic. I was breeding dragons for a while and chose to get out of the business but my last babies were plagued with this issue and I cannot find out what the cause was.

I had multiple clutches from unrelated parents, different ages, different cages. I had some that started last year and lasted into this year with every change I could possibly make before I put them down. I isolated them, but they came from completely separate cages, and their cage mates were not affected. I changed bulbs, gave them supplements, went through vet recommended antibiotics, nothing changed anything. They would eat enthusiastically, but flopped horribly, if I kept them nice and warm. They were fat but wouldn't grow very fast. If I picked them up they would either curl up (like yours) or fling their arms. I had finally put down the last one a month ago, and suddenly another juvenile, not related to any of the others, has begun to develop symptoms. It progresses similarly in every dragon, but some just curl up and lay there, and others flop and seem to lose all control.

I have wondered about pesticides, illness, genetics, but everything I buy is organic, I am using the same foods I have been using for years, they are coming from different clutches and different cages. Everyone has new bulbs and gets regular calcium. NOTHING stops it, slows it down, changes it. I am at a loss.

You couldn't have done anything as far as I can tell, but I would love to know if anyone knows what this is. I am going mad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom