8 month old brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Hi all. So Kai is almost 8 months old. For a few months now he has slowed down considerably. He is in good health so I assume he was doing semi brumation. It started about 2 months ago with him eating less than normal, taking naps during the day, and going to bed before lights out. Then he started sleeping through whole days here and there, but would still come out and be active. Then he started sleeping for days at a time, maybe 2-3 days before he would come out for a few days then go back to sleep for a few days. Now he has been asleep for a whole week, and hasn’t eaten anything in 2 weeks. Although a week ago he did wake up and drink some water. Every once in a while I give him a poke to make sure he’s still living. Is this normally how brumation happens? Slow at first and then bam they are out? I’m wondering if I should wake him up or leave him be. The last time I woke him up oh boy he was NOT happy. When I wake him up he will usually be out for only a few hours before going back in his hide.
Kai is a big boy for 8 months, he’s 19 inches and 390 grams. I did weigh him before he went into his slumber this week and he has not lost any weight at all throughout this, which is why I believe he’s brumating.

Set up
40 gallon breeder
103-105 basking spot
85 hot side, 75 cool side
Uvb reptisun t5 ho 10 uvb about 10 inches from basking spot

Also is it true that if they eat a bit and don’t bask afterwards and go to sleep that the food will rot in their tummy? Sometimes I think he’s awake for the day so I give him some food (although he barely touches it) only to have him go back into his hide a half hour later.

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
From the description Kai seems like a big healthy boy. No need to worry or keep waking him. Just weight him in another 7-10 days to be sure he's not losing weight and be sure to offer water like you did before while you have him awake but don't offer food until he is awake on his own. He should be just fine. :)

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That’s what I though my but wanted to check with you guys. I just worried because a lot of people say they shouldn’t brumate their first winter, but others say if they are near adult size they will. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom