CHE - placement in 18" high viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaDragon

hi everyone,

so i finally received my viv yesterday - its currently 3/4 built at home with the sealant drying overnight.

when i get home from work tonight it will be ready for me to set up the lighting etc.. which brings me to my question.

i am not sure where i should place the CHE - i had intended to put it in the back corner of the hot end but i miss-judged the distance taken up by the bulb holder + bracket and using the lamp guard would bring it waaaaaay to close to anything around it.

so i wanted to ask - is it ok to use a CHE without a guard so long as it is placed where there is absolutely no way that my baby could reach it?

i was thinking either put it next to the basking bulb (i.e centre of the ceiling i guess about 12" along - in a 4ft viv) or maybe put it in the FRONT corner tucked up between the top plinth thing and the ceiling - there will be no furniture there so no chance of him / her being able to touch it?

thank you all so much
RD.
:D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My CHE sits on top of the screen and in the middle of the tank ---- its been on since we got really cold 24/7 -- keeps my tanks around 70 at nite w/ all the lights off --- I dont have it inside the tank ---
Karrie

RastaDragon

Original Poster
hi Karrie,

thanks for the reply - my viv is a 48" x 18" x 18" wood viv with glass front sliding doors, so it has to be installed inside.

i hadn't correctly calculated exactly how low the CHE fitting would be if i put it inside a bulb guard cage thingy.

if i put it in the centre of the ceiling WITHOUT a guard but with nothing around to enable my little one to be able to get near enough to touch it - would that be ok?

thank you!
RD.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as he cant get to it he should be fine -- are you putting it in a dome or just the bare bulb? I have seen bare bulbs in tanks w/ a cage around the bulb but I never even thought of doing it that way mine has always been in a dome and sat on top of tank --
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to consider a heat projector (MegaRay and Arcadia make them) rather than a CHE. They don't run as hot on the surface (but still project plenty of heat) so the burn risk is lessened. I keep mine over the cool end (which turns it into the 'warm' end overnight at around 70-73f using an on/off thermostat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom